: Help identifying a loop of hose under front sway bar?

PJGross
01-01-11, 08:02 PM
I did a little searching, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for:

I changed the oil in my '05 V today, and noticed that under the front swaybar there is a loop of hose that makes a 180 deg turn on the passenger side, with about a 1 foot long parallel run and then both hoses disappear up on the driver side. There are several crimp connections in this roughly 3/4" OD reinforced hose. Anyway, one of the crimp connectors is leaking. Seams like either powersteering or brake fluid.
Since we have a PS cooler, I don't think it is PS fluid. I have no idea what this could be. Could anyone identify it?

It got too cold out there for me to take a picture of it. Thought it might be easy to ID without the pics.

Thanks,

PJ

darkman
01-01-11, 08:26 PM
That is high pressure power steering hose. (The low pressure hoses to/from the power steering cooler are located exclusively on the driver's side). Keep a close watch on your power steering fluid level. If you are not having to add fluid very often the seepage may be non-consequential since those high pressure lines can "weep" a little from time to time.

rand49er
01-01-11, 09:09 PM
I was gonna say power steering hose ... really.

Seriously, funny how those PS hoses make a big loop then come right back to where they started. Guess it's a cheap way to lose some temperature.

PJGross
01-01-11, 11:23 PM
I have been having to add PS fluid. That's it. I was going to have the dealer flush the PS fluid and brake/clutch fluid. Guess I'll have them change that line, too.

Thanks,

PJ