: NEED HELP! Radio/Navigation

rallycourt
01-01-11, 06:33 PM
I'm new to this site and did a search but couldn't find anything like this. Does anyone know where to buy a new or used Navigation unit? I've looked on Ebay and googled only to come up with nothing. My car is at the dealer and when you park and lock the car, 10min later the radio is drawing power and killing the battery. They want to replace it for $1200! There has got to be a cheaper way. Can anyone point me to a website or know someone that might be parting out a V? I have an 04 with black interior. Love the site btw

Houdini
01-01-11, 08:11 PM
How do they know it's the nav unit draining the battery?

rallycourt
01-02-11, 04:43 PM
They but some sort of draw tester on the car and I guess all the voltage was being drawn from the head unit.

heavymetals
01-02-11, 05:18 PM
I think you are getting a line.

First I would pull the radio fuse.

The electronics are switched off by relays, the unit does not have a "hard power" off.

Check the FAQ's

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

Also, check the overhead dimmer switch.

RippyPartsDept
01-02-11, 06:39 PM
that price seems way too expensive... nav radio exchanges are obviously going to cost more than a regular radio, but shouldn't be over $1000 ... off the top of my head i would think $700 or $800 ... maybe less... do you know the part number of your radio by any chance? i could check the pricing for you

D3l7a3ch0
01-02-11, 07:38 PM
I hope it's the relay

MauiV
01-02-11, 07:52 PM
The overhead dimmer is a known culprit of battery drain.

My nav hasnt worked for months, I get a "disk error" message. whatever than means but I know how to get to work so I dont mind

RippyPartsDept
01-02-11, 09:15 PM
oh, i forgot to mention... you could get your radios/nav-units fixed if you take them out yourself and can live without them for a few weeks...
call up specmo, or united radio, or model electronics ... or any of the other GM authorized ESCs (electronic service centers) to see what your options are
definitely you could send it out and then they'll quote you on a repair
heck, they might even do exchanges w/ the general public
(an exchange would be where they ship you a new or refurbished unit and you then send yours back as a core)

D3l7a3ch0
01-02-11, 09:49 PM
i can't believe how heavy they are