: Best Economical Way to Get A Car to Jake in Canada

Pete1996
01-01-11, 02:34 PM
I've bought a new car, not GM by the way and therefore I now can afford to wait for the least expensive way to get the car to Canada. I've heard that sometimes cars are moved on flatbeds that have room for another car. The question is how to best find someone moving another car with room. Might there be a forum somewhere? It sounds like (based on some of his recent posts) he is willing to do cars in Ontario on a limited basis otherwise this probably doesn't make sense.

postman2000
01-01-11, 06:51 PM
What state are you in? I rented a u-haul with car carrier and brought my car up there. It cost me about $1,000 for that set up. it was a one-way rental. Dropped my car off with jake and brought the u-haul back to the ontario u-haul place and then i drove my caddy back down to NYC..

ThumperPup
01-04-11, 12:26 AM
u could try someplace like Uship.com i think

hnettles
01-04-11, 04:22 PM
I've bought a new car, not GM by the way and therefore I now can afford to wait for the least expensive way to get the car to Canada. I've heard that sometimes cars are moved on flatbeds that have room for another car. The question is how to best find someone moving another car with room. Might there be a forum somewhere? It sounds like (based on some of his recent posts) he is willing to do cars in Ontario on a limited basis otherwise this probably doesn't make sense.

Where exactly are you located? One relatively simple way is to buy / rent / borrow a car dolly. Front wheel drive cars are relatively easy to tow using a car dolly. If you are very far away from Jake's location, then I would try to find someone closer. Remember, if anything goes wrong (which is always possible, even with the best of mechanics) you would have to get your car back to Jake AGAIN.

97EldoCoupe
01-04-11, 04:29 PM
That's why I'm striving for perfection- to avoid any possible come-backs. So far, one oil leak that involved an engine to be removed the second time, and one nick in the head almost two years ago. I've had a very high success rate so far, above 98%, and I feel that's a percentage I'm comfortable with. The higher the better, but there will always be the possibility of a problem, mistake, faulty part, etc. - I'm not going to lie. That's a fact at all shops.

You can have a vehicle fixed next door, and then take a 2,000 mile trip and have issues when you get to your destination. It's a chance we all take as motorists.

Pete1996
01-05-11, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone u-ship and u-haul sound worth looking into.
I'm in Connecticut 06611 not too far from NYC.

Jesda
01-10-11, 02:06 AM
A few years ago Dependable Auto Shippers was quoting $900 depot to depot, so add more for door to door service.

Douglass Harroun
01-12-11, 04:42 PM
You did have one other "problem" Jake. Terrible smoking , oil consuming rebuilt engine. No warranty. Had to sell the car at a dead loss. Thanks.
Doug

97EldoCoupe
01-12-11, 06:30 PM
Welcome back Doug.

studebaker
01-14-11, 08:08 AM
It's a long, long way to Canada from Florida.

Jake, can you reccomend anyone down here to handle the repairs?

Thank you,

Studebaker

Punta Gorda, Florida