: Irritating belts, bah!

JamesC
01-01-11, 11:57 AM
Okay, as I know squealing belts are fairly common with our 80's Caddies here, but this is getting on my nervous just a bit.

Now I don't have a gauge or anything for belt tightening, but have tightened the belts the best that my dad and I could. Now I believe it is my a/c belt that is the culprit... maybe.

I mean whenever it is 30 degree F or below and the heater is on it squeals badly... either when idle, taking off or driving. No good when I need it! Ha.

Additionally I also noticed that in the summer when the a/c is running that same belt somewhat is wobbly than the rest, but no squealing occurs then. Yet oddly when not running and you press down on that belt, it's fairly tight. So?

Again I have tightened it as much as I can, as I press down on it and it doesn't drop much. It seems tight when at rest. It is too tight and squealing? Last time dad and I messed with tightening the belts we have a very difficult time adjusting the tension as the bolt/slot near the compressor just did not want to go up to tighten, but did go down.

ALSO - am I missing an adjustment point when tightening belts, specifically the a/c belt? It's totally possible.

Anything I can do? Or should I risk taking it to a shop to have them adjust the belts? Granted I am not sure of the costs with that, pff.

csbuckn
01-01-11, 12:17 PM
Do you have all the belts on still or did you remove the smog one?

JamesC
01-01-11, 12:41 PM
Do you have all the belts on still or did you remove the smog one?

All belts are currently on.

caddeville89
01-01-11, 01:44 PM
On a 307, the most important belt to tighten is the power steering belt. It turns the water pump pulley, which also turns everything else. Tighten this pulley FIRST. You have to use something like a breaker bar or long rod to (carefully) pry on the power steering pump with or it just plain will not be tight enough, and will squeal under one of several million hypothetical conditions. There are two tensioning bolts for the power steering; one you can get to through the access hole in the pulley, the other one I believe from below. Do the same with the A/C pump and alternator.

JamesC
01-01-11, 03:08 PM
On a 307, the most important belt to tighten is the power steering belt...

Hmm... well I went out into the chill, ha, and checked that belt. The tension seems pretty tight on it. Though the alternator belt just might need a tad more tension... at least I haven't had an alternator or battery issues.

I suppose I'll have to, quite possibly, loosen them all again and re-tighten with the power steering belt first and go from there. Just stinks that I don't have a garage and may have to take it over my parents or uncle's place... let it sit for a good while for the engine to cool down and THEN mess with the belts... takes awhile to cool.

Also what I don't want is what happened last time. Tightening the a/c belt was a pain as the tension slot/bolt did NOT want to move upward even with a gentle pry with a bar. Almost couldn't get it tight at all. Just didn't want to budge.

caddeville89
01-01-11, 04:10 PM
Oh, yah, it is best to have somebody ELSE crank on the prybar while you tighten the bolts.

JamesC
01-01-11, 06:16 PM
Oh, yah, it is best to have somebody ELSE crank on the prybar while you tighten the bolts.

Oh of course! I knew this... makes things much easier, yes! :)

drmenard
01-02-11, 02:40 PM
Anytime I have a belt giving me trouble and tighting it one time don't fix it.. I get a new belt.. When its making noise it can make a ware spot and cause more problems... And when I have a problem belt I don't get a cheap one... I get a high quality american made belt..

jayoldschool
01-02-11, 03:36 PM
Once a belt squeals, it is done. You can tighten it as much as you want, but it will still squeal. Time for new belts, and a long prybar.

JamesC
01-02-11, 06:47 PM
Once a belt squeals, it is done. You can tighten it as much as you want, but it will still squeal. Time for new belts, and a long prybar.

I hope not... this belts are still fairly new and I didn't go cheap on them either; got the higher quality type. They look fine too, though I could look at them again.

Today seems to "prove" that temperature, oddly, may have something to do with it. It was 41 degrees F and no belt squealing, but if below 30 degrees F, is when it seems to squeal more.