: A Tapping Sound When Engine is Cold

Cadillacboy
01-01-11, 11:56 AM
I have noticed that I hear a tapping sound coming from rear and decided to take a video shot to give you a better clue of what it may be .
It can be coming from right exhaust pipes only not the left one and as soon as the engine gets warm it disappeared
Here's the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4w-0xfe-pc

csbuckn
01-01-11, 12:19 PM
Did you see anything loose under there? Almost sounds like a backfire.

Cadillacboy
01-01-11, 12:52 PM
Nope, I didn't . I get a PCM 0174 Code but that code was already there prior to this odd sound

outsider
01-01-11, 07:22 PM
maybe your muffler is going bad? when I first got my 95 the muffler was bad on the driver side and it would actually make a sound like that. the shell was buldging in and out and "popping"

could also be something loose, some mounting bracket or something.

HUF
01-01-11, 10:32 PM
The best way to find the culprit is lifting the car with lift, starting cold engine, and watching where the sound comes from.

drmenard
01-01-11, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you could have some water from condensation built up in the muffler or like already said some loose parts inside the muffler...When I bought a 94 a few months back both mufflers sounded like that... I ended up putting on two new mufflers....

Cadillacboy
01-03-11, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your valuable inputs, everything seems tight fit but I will take a new muffler into the consideration as well

robb257731
01-03-11, 11:55 AM
Sounds like Pippy the Squirrell is inside, trying to get out. ;-)

jayoldschool
01-03-11, 05:46 PM
Check the heat shield between the resonator and the gas tank.

pompste
01-04-11, 05:13 AM
I have noticed that I hear a tapping sound coming from rear and decided to take a video shot to give you a better clue of what it may be .
It can be coming from right exhaust pipes only not the left one and as soon as the engine gets warm it disappeared
Here's the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4w-0xfe-pc

Sounds like a loose "baffle" inside the muffler,dude.I had a similar sound in one my mufflers on my '95 Deville last year and it was a loose/broken baffle-----got new muffler,problem solved.To make sure if it`s a loose baffle---get under car with it turned "off" and just shake either the tailpipe and/or muffler and if it`s loose inside the muffler--you`ll definitely hear it shaking in there.

Cadillacboy
01-05-11, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys , I will check it again :)