: 93 fleetwood steering and suspension trouble

bigmikelilmike
09-24-04, 07:49 AM
ok i have read that some other people have had suspension trouble mine seems like it has too much play in the steering and handles really bad like going over bumps it will try to go its own way ..........i have 20 inch wheels on my fleetwood and i have been told this will make the pitman arm go out anyone know if this sounds right and if so what do i have to replace the whole pitman arm or does it have a bushing in it or what i dont have a clue

juiceE
12-02-04, 03:37 PM
yo big mike... have u solved ur problem??? any pics of ur car too???

scurling
12-02-04, 07:42 PM
I thought I had a bad pitman once, but was informed that the Pitman arm and center link connection is designed to wear (and fail) at the ball joint, which is part of the center link. That proved to be true in my case.

I hope it isn't your pitman arm, because that's a lot tougher to remove. In my case I couldn't even find a listing for one in the parts aftermarket.

ocjmakaveli
12-02-04, 08:03 PM
I thought I had a bad pitman once, but was informed that the Pitman arm and center link connection is designed to wear (and fail) at the ball joint, which is part of the center link. That proved to be true in my case.

I hope it isn't your pitman arm, because that's a lot tougher to remove. In my case I couldn't even find a listing for one in the parts aftermarket.

I was told before that the pitman arm on our cars is never replaced unless if it breaks in a car accident etc. but it should last the life of the car.

first thing to do is the balljoints they always wear out with small tires regardless of rim size.

on mine even with stock tires but mostly city driving i had to replace them at 40,000 miles it all depends the harsher the roads are where you drive your car the more frequent you will have to replace your balljoints.

I installed autozone balljoints and they've been good so far for the last 4 months

scurling
12-02-04, 08:54 PM
That's what I was told too. My fist experience with front linkage replacement was with my '73 Impala, which is basically the same suspension design as our Fltwds. I had a lot of play at the pitman arm/link connection and thought the problem was at the pitman too. After further investigation, etc., etc., the wear and play was found in the ball joint. The steering linkage relay rod (center link) has a ball stud that is tapered for an exact fit into the pitman arm, where the ball stud is bolted in tight.

Also, both the lower ball joints on my Fltwd. were shot when I got the vehicle at 47K. One side had so much slop and looseness it was scary.

bigmikelilmike
12-04-04, 01:35 PM
well i thought it might be my balljoints but i jacked it up and tried to move my wheel and it didnt have much play in it so i havent messed with it since .....sorry no pics yet i should have some soon though

ocjmakaveli
12-04-04, 02:32 PM
well i thought it might be my balljoints but i jacked it up and tried to move my wheel and it didnt have much play in it so i havent messed with it since .....sorry no pics yet i should have some soon though

unless you've done them before it might be hard to check that out properly the play is only about 1/4" i believe but for me i knew the balljoints were worn because the steering would vary depending on the roads i was and angle of the streets etc. if this is your case you most likely have worn suspension parts.

for $100 parts you can get ball joints and tie-rods, don't forget the idler arm and that's it. Hmm you will need a front end alignment too price varies.

if you steering has play then your balljoints are worn and an alignment won't fix this without replacing them first.

don't get ripoffed get a hoe mechanic to do it for cheap because Firestone :bonkers: once wanted to charge me about $1100 to replace the steering linkage what i mentioned above on an 86 chrysler that was about what i paid for the car itself.

attilahooper
12-04-04, 03:30 PM
to test the balljoints while the car is on the lift, take a big-@ssed channel-lock and clamp down on that sucker and squeeze. if there is play you must pay.

brougham
12-04-04, 06:02 PM
If you don't know how to check a front end properly get a shop to do it. There's no point in replacing parts that are good. The lower ball joints have wear indicators. You don't check them like normal. Last year I had to replace the centre link and I think the idler arm on mine. The balljoints were still good.