: HOW TO: Reset the "change oil" light on my 2002?!

LACbaby
12-31-10, 08:38 PM
Can anyone please help?! I changed my oil and I need to reset the light. I did some research and I was able to find/do the following;

- Hold down the oil life button. Well, I DON"T HAVE AN OIL LIFE READER(no percentage of life reader etc....) which means I don't have that option.
- Turn key to ON and press the gas pedal 3 times. Well, I did that and now my "change oil" light flashes 5 times. What did I do or what does that mean?

Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you.

sk7
01-01-11, 07:51 AM
The oil life button is part of the 03+ generation dashboard. I forget if its 3 times or 5 times but always had no problem using the gas pedal at wot! The change oil warning starts blinking when the reset is sucessful, then key off and back on and its gone. It has to be done quickly as soon as ignition is on.

LACbaby
01-01-11, 06:27 PM
The oil life button is part of the 03+ generation dashboard. I forget if its 3 times or 5 times but always had no problem using the gas pedal at wot! The change oil warning starts blinking when the reset is sucessful, then key off and back on and its gone. It has to be done quickly as soon as ignition is on.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense why I don't have oil life meter...

Now, regarding the oil light and pedal, it is 3 times with in 5 seconds. I did that and it did blink after I did it but now EVERY TIME I turn on the truck, the change oil light flashes at me 5 times. I don't know what that means.

gmercedesbenz
01-01-11, 09:06 PM
Press down on the gas pedal all the way three times with the truck OFF. Then turn the truck on, light should then not come on. If it doesn't work the first time, attempt again. I have the owners manual that I can post a scanned copy of where it says this if you need it.

LACbaby
01-02-11, 07:35 PM
Press down on the gas pedal all the way three times with the truck OFF. Then turn the truck on, light should then not come on. If it doesn't work the first time, attempt again. I have the owners manual that I can post a scanned copy of where it says this if you need it.

Thanks for the help. I also have the manual and did exactly what it told me BUT if you read further, it also states if it doesn't go off, take it to a technician. I ended buying an OBDII scanner at Harbor Freight today and cleared it with no problem :yup:

Thanks for the help everyone!