: Which Bluetooth VCIM do I need?

gambino2027
12-31-10, 05:01 PM
Hi all,
I'm trying to swap the Onstar VCIM in my 2006 DTS Performance for one that has bluetooth. I've found several different Bluetooth OnStar Control Module VCIMs on ebay, such as Part Numbers: 20787107, 20827036, 20833261, and 20756237. I really don't know which to buy, if any. If anyone knows which would work in my vehicle, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Blown & Injected
12-31-10, 06:37 PM
Do you know where the module is located in your car?
There are a few boxes in the trunk of my 06 DTS and I have not been able to determine if any of them are for the On Star. Does it make a difference if the radio has navigation?

gambino2027
12-31-10, 07:23 PM
Do you know where the module is located in your car?
There are a few boxes in the trunk of my 06 DTS and I have not been able to determine if any of them are for the On Star. Does it make a difference if the radio has navigation?

Unfortunately, I do not know where it is, as I have yet to search for it. I wanted to be sure that one of the VCIMs would work for me, before I began to locate and/or remove parts.
I want to retain my onstar capability and I don't want to add an aftermarket setup.

LJSchneider
03-19-11, 10:28 AM
Sorry, I'm in the same boat. I have a 2007 DTS with On Star, 6 disk CD, XM, MP3 and wheel audio controls. Sure hope someone can help. Good luck.

Larry Schneider

phili1
03-20-11, 10:39 AM
Your onstar module is located in trunk, behind center trim cover. You can pull cover down or take out. Its only a few plastic clips. Once you do this you can see the onstar module mounted on a support . It has two nuts holding it on.

macklobell
03-27-11, 08:30 PM
I just bought a 2010 DTS with no Bluetooh...What vcim module do I need to get bluetooth and where can it be bought? Thanks.

phili1
03-27-11, 10:40 PM
You are making this harder than what it is. I hate you bought one you can't use. Here is a picture of the bluetooth logal. This is found on everything bluetooth somewhere. cell phone earpices .... On our DTS VCIM that came with the car, on the right side of the CVIM is where the two sqaure plugs goe, a black plug and a white. One the left side there are there is two round connections that is close to the same size, one blue and the other burgany. Now, the you will need for bluetooth one will look the same as your old one,except on the left it will have three round connection connection the same size. the extra cconnection on left is for antenna. You will also have the word bluetooth or the loga or both. Now on some GM CVIM the three conections on the left are three different sizes. You need the one with all three is the small round connection that look the same. I have tested several out of few different gm cars that, had the same three connection on the left sde and they all work. I last one was out of a buick Lacerne that had the same part # as a 09 DTS. That was the first one that I did not get the red light in onstar mirror.

macklobell
03-27-11, 11:32 PM
Where can I buy a vcim for my car?

phili1
03-28-11, 08:51 PM
I bought off ebay, some I got from salvage yard. None of them was brand new.

phili1
03-30-11, 08:03 PM
Macklobell I have been trying to send you what you ask for , but you have to much mail and you must delete some, so i can send it to you. I think you can only have 10 private emails stored.

bigdabu
03-30-11, 11:12 PM
Phili1 can you senD me the info as well, please?

macklobell
03-31-11, 09:02 AM
I cleared my email Phil...Thanks.

StuJac
04-08-11, 11:38 AM
Macklobell I have been trying to send you what you ask for , but you have to much mail and you must delete some, so i can send it to you. I think you can only have 10 private emails stored.

Phili1

Can you also send the part number to me? I'm taking delivery on an 08 Lux III today or tomorrow and also want to replace the Onstar module to one that I can use blutooth on. Mine has the nav/dvd; does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

LJSchneider
04-19-11, 09:18 AM
Phili1,
You seem to be in the know. I'm also looking for a VCIM module and don't know where or what to buy. I have a 2007 DTS with On Star, 6 disk CD, XM, MP3 and wheel audio controls.

Thanks
Larry

StuJac
04-19-11, 09:22 AM
I think we're on our own to search junk yards.

StuJac
04-21-11, 01:25 PM
Your onstar module is located in trunk, behind center trim cover. You can pull cover down or take out. Its only a few plastic clips. Once you do this you can see the onstar module mounted on a support . It has two nuts holding it on.

Is this it?

http://classified.ndntp.com/Images/2011/20842731%20a.JPG

StuJac
04-21-11, 01:29 PM
Here's another shot of it.

http://classified.ndntp.com/Images/2011/20842731%20b.JPG

RippyPartsDept
04-21-11, 01:32 PM
yes that is a vcim...

StuJac
04-21-11, 01:54 PM
Well, it's on ebay and he's got a ton of them. In the add it says you have to add your own antenna; where would that mount? It's a fairly large chunk of change so I wanted to be sure. Here's the link to his sale;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUETOOTH-ONSTAR-RECEIVER-20842731-VCIM-Module-OEM-NEW-/350456851345?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item5198db2b91

phili1
04-21-11, 08:58 PM
207to www.carpart.com , you can check most yards in Us and Canada at the same time. I have #20756237, which is out of a 09Lucerne. However is is the same # for 09-011 dts. There is alot of # that will work. I had compiled a small list, that I have been looking for. I have taken them out of alot of different gm cars and as long as the connection are the same as our DTS they all worked.

phili1
04-21-11, 09:25 PM
I just went to the url that I listed . They show #20756237 ,only one in Detiot MI for $100.00. I just check that url once aweek for good deal. Most of mine came with antenna and I paid $65 to $100 plus shipping.

phili1
04-21-11, 09:32 PM
Sorry, thats www.car-parts.com

StuJac
04-22-11, 06:11 AM
I just went to the url that I listed . They show #20756237 ,only one in Detiot MI for $100.00. I just check that url once aweek for good deal. Most of mine came with antenna and I paid $65 to $100 plus shipping.

Can we confirm that 20842731 also works? This is the one on sale at ebay.

phili1
04-22-11, 05:19 PM
Give me a item # on ebay. I can tell by the rear connection. I will try to click on that ebay url you posted again, but it did not go anywhere when I tried last night.

StuJac
04-22-11, 05:35 PM
The part number is 20842731. Ebay number is tem number: 350456851345

upstater49
04-22-11, 06:02 PM
StuJac,
Did you decide against that other unit you were talking about on another thread?

StuJac
04-22-11, 06:10 PM
No-I'm open to any solution. I just want bluetooth in the car. Obviously would like the easiest install method.

phili1
04-22-11, 06:13 PM
I can confirm , that the picture has the same connection as our DTS . I also can comfirm that it does have bluetooth. I personally would not buy one from someone that has a full box of them for sell. Also thats alot of money. I'm trying to find out what car that part # came from for you. I have been alittle under the weather and working alot. I'm trying to help you ,but I don't think you are reading what I'm posting. I don't want you to make the same mistakes that I did, like paying to much for things that I could not use. I have had several VCIM with those same connections and all worked in my car. A fellow board member listen to what I told him last week, about buying CVIM and installing it and he found two VCIM in one day for $175.00 total. He has a 2010 DTS and had did not know a hammer from a nail. He had bluetooth in ten minutes. I called him last night to get the other CVIM for you. He had sent it back. Once again, all that I have tested with those connections in the picture worked in my car, even the saturn vue CVIM worked fine. The good thing about getting out a high end junk yard is ,you know the onstar and bluetooth was working at time of crash. All of this is just my opinion and you must use your own judgement.

StuJac
04-22-11, 06:16 PM
I appreciate your efforts, I swear I do. I agree that it's a bit fishy that he's got a whole box of them, like they fell off a boat or something but he's also got 100% approval rating. I don't think I have any high end junk yards around me (near Philly).

phili1
04-22-11, 06:47 PM
Did you see that the post from last night that I found one in MI for $100. I did not call about it. I know how you feel about bluetooth also, I love it. I have bought CVIM from all over the US with no problem. I bought one on ebay that was wrong, then I found the other on that url posted for you last night. I would check it everyday. I will send you a private email

StuJac
04-22-11, 06:57 PM
Phili1;

I didn't get the message; box full so I emptied it. Please resend.

Stu

phigment
05-16-11, 08:36 PM
I have a 06 DTS LuxIII with 6 disc/Bose. I got a VCIM from a 09 Impala. Part# 20787206. Now when I press and hold the "Mute" button I hear "Ready". I do not say "Onstar". I simply press and hold the mute button and I hear "Ready". Next I say "Bluetooth". I hear "Bluetooth Ready". I say "Pair" which is followed by the computer providing instructions for me to follow in order to pair. It gives me a 4 digit pin to input. My only problem is that my phone can not find the connection (iPhone). My ipod touch can not find the connection. And my laptop has built in bluetooth and it likewise can not find the connection. The unit came with the antenna. I looked it over and it looks to be in very good condition. I confirmed all connections are correct (They are color coded). The light on my rear view mirror is red rather than green. Can anybody provide me some advise? Is it possible that this vcim just needs to be reprogrammed? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I new to this forum so please.. don't abuse me to bad if I missed something obvious. Thanks in advance.

phili1
05-19-11, 10:46 PM
I have had some CVIM that made my mirror red , but the bluetooth still worked. Its sounds like CVIM is working right. I have never had to program one to make it work. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe your iphone is not compatible. I use to have an page with phones that will work with GM bluetooth. I know your phone is not connecting, but is it showing GM on Iphone when you search for new device? Also check to make sure Iphone bluetooth is visible for detection.

phigment
06-04-11, 10:19 PM
Checking back in. The bluetooth antenna port was defective on the vcim I purchased. So I returned in and got another one from a salvage. This new one came out of a 2009 Impala. My phone is able to see this unit and connect. Everything works as expected. Kinda. This is a little complicated so ill try to be clear.

1. I can pair my phone and use it with no problem.
2. When I turn the ignition off and open the door, my phone shows the BT connection dropping(expected). If I close the door, and turn on the ignition, the bluetooth will reconnect to my phone (expected).
3. However, if I turn off the ignition, get out of my car and walk away, and come back later, the bluetooth will not reconnect. At all. I have to repair.

Ive tested this with four(4) different brands of phones and the results are the same. I have a friend who is a GM Tech and he updated the onstar software for me. But it didn't fix my problem. He had no answers. Note that the light on my rear view mirror is not red or green. It is not lit at all, which is the same as my old(original) vcim.

Ive got some other questions if ya are willing. Is there any way to get the system to tell you all devices that are stored? If I say "LIST" it will only provide the name of the device that is currently connected. Also is there a way to tell the unit to connect to my phone manually? If I tell it to "Change Phone" it will tell me that there are no devices connected. I cant find any other command that will pseudo tell it to look for a paired device.

This was long winded. Apologies. Ive just invested a lot of time in this and repair the phone every time i get in the car is kinda like a slap in the face :). Thanks everybody for your input.

-Shawn

phili1
06-05-11, 09:47 AM
Try saying onstar, then next bluetooth and then voice to see if it find your phone. When I do this, it finds my phone and the voice from my blackberry come through car and i can use all my contact from blackberry. The rest of what you tried is correct. I know you may already know this ,but I had to set my blackberry to allow the DTS to connect everytime, by checking a box on blackberry when asked. Also must have phone's bluetooth visible to be detected ,checked on phone. Other than that you sound like everything you are doing is right. I would try to find a freind or fellow board member, with a working VCIM and try theirs.

WaltBabyLuv
06-22-11, 06:16 AM
Wutz gud caddy catz! I have a 2006 DTS Lux II and i'm also tryn'n 2 upgrade 2 bluetooth. I having been doin my on research n read'n many posts specially dis 1. I read dat phili1 have #20756237, which is out of a 09Lucerne. However is is the same # for 09-011 dts. I found a #20756237 from da website phili1 suggested. I called n da guy said he want $150 w/out da bluetooth antenna n its from a 09DTS and it wont work on my 06DTS cuz da wire harness is different. Is durr n e truth n dat or is it dat he jus don't know? Also, i called a local Caddy dealer and asked sum 1 from da parts deprtmnt who didn't know but transferred me 2 a guy n da accessories deprtmnt who told me it wouldn't work cuz its mo 2 it den jus switching 1 out 4 anutha. He explained a lil bit bout it, but is durr n e truth n dat or jus sum BS? I have da accessories guy number if n e 1 want to call n have him explain. Sorry 4 da long post....HELP!!!!!

phili1
06-23-11, 02:59 PM
Its best to buy one out of a junk car that was already working. That is the # that i currently have in my 06 DTS with no problems. And the Lucerne and the DTS has the same CVIM with bluetooth #20756237

WaltBabyLuv
06-24-11, 10:01 AM
Thanx 4 da reply phili1!

Duz n e 1 know da bluetooth antenna # that goes wit VCIM #20756237? It would much appreciated.

RippyPartsDept
06-24-11, 11:46 AM
list price is $44.92

i sell them for $28.08 plus shipping

WaltBabyLuv
06-24-11, 12:59 PM
Thanx 4 da nfo & da quick response Chris!

elmysterio
04-09-12, 10:29 PM
I have a 2003 caddy dts and was wondering if a later model onstar module would work on it the car has the built in phone and it has a antenea on the back window I really want it to have bluetooh

lloydrage
04-09-12, 11:21 PM
I have an 07 dts lux II with nav. Does anyone know the part number fur me? Also dies that include the Bluetooth antenna?

Cadillacman916
09-25-13, 05:27 PM
list price is $44.92

i sell them for $28.08 plus shipping

Hey chris can we just order a vcim from you? Sounds a lot easier then checking connections and searching junkyards. :cookoo:

RippyPartsDept
09-25-13, 05:39 PM
Nope... VCIMs ordered by dealers get pre-programmed before shipping to the dealer ... that means it will be just the same as the one you've got in there now :(

RippyPartsDept
09-26-13, 09:26 AM
also, the post you 'liked' and quoted above is over 2 years old
the antenna part number is the same but the pricing has changed since then

$46.40 - list price
$29.00 - forum price

lloydrage
11-07-13, 07:43 PM
Chris just sent pm Please let me know

Atavar
11-07-13, 08:17 PM
You guys do realize the bluetooth VCIM is good for phone calls but won't stream music for you, right?

lloydrage
11-07-13, 08:58 PM
Yea. My town just passed an ordinance. No cell phone use unless hands free. This is our weekend driver but still want hands free when not in our dd

----------

Is there something that does both that I can use with factory stereo ?