: 05 CTS-V - front struts. Poor design?

goldngemgirl
12-31-10, 01:50 PM
My front struts had to be replaced on my 05 CTS-V at 12,000 miles as they were leaking profusely. Cadillac replaced free under warranty. Now, at 37,000 miles (and out of warranty), it looks like they need to be replaced again. The auto shop which noticed the original leak also found the 2nd leak. Per their opinion, they don't believe the struts were actually replaced...but that's another issue I'll have to fight.

My question is this: has anybody else had the same issue or similar with their 05 CTS-V needing new struts...twice? My car is garage kept, has never gone more than 80 miles per hour (and that was just once for a few seconds), and at nearly 6 years old, has only 37k miles on it. So, it's not been driven like it was truly designed to be driven. Maybe that's the problem ... no rough driving? I dunno. I'm just curious if I got a defective model or just been unlucky with two sets of defective struts.

Thanks.

Houdini
12-31-10, 01:55 PM
Were these the standard FE4 struts or the FG2s?

goldngemgirl
12-31-10, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry to say I have no clue. My local Cadillac ordered the parts and replaced them. I'm guessing they used whatever is standard (and cheap).

rjoffe
12-31-10, 02:18 PM
I would have to say this is a rare case. These shocks do end up needing replaced, but it's typically north of 40K miles.

darkman
12-31-10, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry to say I have no clue. My local Cadillac ordered the parts and replaced them. I'm guessing they used whatever is standard (and cheap).

Well let's see, there is standard (FE4) and non-standard (FG2), but "cheap" ain't one of the options.

Based on the reports on this forum, both struts are generally considered pretty reliable. Of the 2 types, the individual FG2s seem to suffer premature failure more often than the FE4s.

I have had both types on my V, and in my opinion, unless you are going to switch to aftermarket springs the FE4s are the best option around.

kevm14
12-31-10, 03:26 PM
Intuitively I'd think rough roads contribute to premature shock failure. Temperature may also play a role.

I've driven both, too. The FE4 shocks ride GREAT, and give the car a relaxed but taut muscle/luxury car feel. However, I was expecting Euro sport sedan feel that doesn't break down when you really start to push it, so when I drove my 05 which had recent FG2 shocks I said "this is what I expected the car to feel like." They made FG2 optional, and rightly so. But I love mine. There isn't a single unwarranted body motion.

I'm sure hers are FE4s but I have to wonder about environmental concerns (road, temps, etc).

goldngemgirl
12-31-10, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the notes. My car is primarily only driven on the weekend. It's been to Wash D.C. (which is known for its pot-holes!) exactly twice. I live in Southern Maryland, where we have temps as low as the teens, or even lower, and as high as 90s, or higher. However, it's rare we go below 20s or higher than mid-90s. I live in a county that's renowned for taking care of its roads. Just about every road I've driven on in the past 5+ years has been repaved at least once, some have been twice (I don't know why!).

When the runflat Eagle tires wore out, I decided to replace them with regular, non-runflat, performance tires. I doubt though that has anything to do with strut failure.

I'm a big girl so I had to ask the guys at the auto-shop if the problem is me. They said it would be if I'm sitting on the hood and bouncing up-n-down repeatedly...which, obviously, I don't. Honestly, because I asked them point blank, I don't think they were 'just being nice' so I'm sure this issue isn't me.

It's promising that nobody else has said they've had the same issue, too. I trust the auto shop that found the leaks yet I'm hesitant to trust their opinion that the struts were never replaced, as Cadillac said they did. Maybe I'll stretch my investigative abilities and look for the serial # (if there are any) on the struts and see if I can match them up to original equipment or replacement equipment. That's probably more effort than its worth, though.

I'll do my homework on replacement struts and make sure I get what's best for my baby. I'm usually a 'new car every 2 years' kinda gal but I've had this car for going on 6 and the thought of getting rid of it makes me wanna cry. I'll be buried in this car....

Thanks for the notes.

Houdini
12-31-10, 08:36 PM
Get a GM VIS report from a friendly local dealer and that should show if they replaced your shocks.

V-Guy
12-31-10, 10:21 PM
A V that's never gone over 80 mph??? Really?? (As far as I know, the Maryland State Police do not monitor this site!) :-)

PISNUOFF
01-01-11, 10:54 AM
Maybe you could drive back to northern Maryland and have the best V dealership take a look at it. Tell them your whole story and maybe they can do something for you.

KaMaSuTrA
01-01-11, 11:07 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs036.snc3/12411_335798824271_647094271_3620947_5204764_n.jpg

My passenger front shock went to hell earlier last year (Think I was in the 60k mileage range), I ended up sourcing one through some part cross-refrencing. The original was made in USA while the replacement was made in Mexico, so far nothing has gone loco.

goldngemgirl
01-01-11, 11:29 AM
Maybe you could drive back to northern Maryland and have the best V dealership take a look at it. Tell them your whole story and maybe they can do something for you.

Do you have a recommendation? Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis, MD, is the closest dealership to me. They've been the dealer I've dealt with so far (other than Moore Cadillac in Chantilly, VA, where we bought the car.)

goldngemgirl
01-01-11, 11:39 AM
A V that's never gone over 80 mph??? Really?? (As far as I know, the Maryland State Police do not monitor this site!) :-)

I don't like continual fast driving but I do enjoy being the first off the line and seeing all the traffic from the stop light behind me in my rear view! But they do eventually pass me by....

darkman
01-01-11, 11:46 AM
http://www.lindsaycadillac.com/index.htm

V-Guy
01-01-11, 11:52 AM
I don't like continual fast driving but I do enjoy being the first off the line and seeing all the traffic from the stop light behind me in my rear view! But they do eventually pass me by....
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I have a 8-mile stretch that I drive almost every day - it's all 45 mph and lots of traffic circles, although very little traffic. I can have a great time in the V on that drive while never serously breaking the speed limit. I just get to 45 (or so) a lot faster than anyone else, and get to stay there a lot longer.

Please post your final solution on the strut issue - I have 56K on my V and I still have the original struts, so I want to have a plan in place myself.

PISNUOFF
01-01-11, 01:12 PM
http://www.lindsaycadillac.com/index.htm

That's the one. There is none better.

mstrjon32
01-01-11, 03:33 PM
Do you have a recommendation? Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis, MD, is the closest dealership to me. They've been the dealer I've dealt with so far (other than Moore Cadillac in Chantilly, VA, where we bought the car.)

I've taken my V to Fitzgerald and I thought they were great--but I'm going to need to get sensors installed in my new wheels and get an alignment done, and I've heard so many great things about Lindsay Cadillac, I'm going to take a trip down there next time and give them a shot. But, I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to Fitzgerald again, either.

YoshiV
01-01-11, 04:39 PM
Not a common problem. Try driving it more often and push it a little. Suspension components don't like to sit around doing nothing, worse for them than heavy use!

Aurora40
01-01-11, 07:40 PM

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

You can enter your VIN there and see if the car was originally ordered with FG2 shocks. If it was, it doesn't necessarily mean they were on the car. And if it wasn't, that doesn't necessarily mean someone didn't put them on later.

For the replacements, they should have given you a work order that has the part numbers they used on it.

That said, I don't believe the shock life you've gotten so far is normal. Maybe just bad luck (or bad luck combined with a crummy dealer, if it turns out they really didn't replace anything). Though I only have 17k on mine so I can't comment on the expected life.

goldngemgirl
01-08-11, 09:15 PM
Not a common problem. Try driving it more often and push it a little. Suspension components don't like to sit around doing nothing, worse for them than heavy use!

I've recently heard this very same thing from some others. My car is 99% weekend driven only. It's rare that I push it but I do have a lot of back country roads with lots of twists and turns around where I live. If I have to replace these struts again, I guess I'll have to revert back to my younger days when my friends called me "Andrettica". Now if only I can find my Golden Earring CD for "Radar Love"...

goldngemgirl
01-08-11, 09:18 PM
Re: Lindsay Cadillac... I've heard of their reputation so I'd be willing to try them out. I'll go back to Fitzgerald first to see what they say and/or offer as a solution. If my bull detector goes off, I'll definitely go elsewhere from then on. Thanks to all for their feedback. I'll post again once I have a solution in hand.

rand49er
01-08-11, 09:46 PM
With Lindsay Cadillac, you don't need being wished, "Good Luck."

But, Good Luck anyway.

On a side note, your car sounds like it's been babied since birth. If you ever sell it, make sure you ask for (and get) a premium price.

KCope1
03-30-14, 12:31 PM
I have been trolling this site looking for reports of a CTS-V ride becoming dramatically rough. Our CTS-V is a 2004 and we have owned it for 9 years (second owner). This car is garage kept and has about 5,000 miles put on it annually (an easy life for a car). I've replaced the shocks/struts once about 2 years ago. The problem we are having right now is it feels like the car is going to shake apart after hitting the smallest bump. This problem started during a 500 mile drive back home from visiting family. Tires (OEM spec run-flat Eagle F1) and struts both appear normal according the shop I use. Any suggestions from my fellow CTS-V owners?

WasTiSLine
03-30-14, 01:03 PM
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

You can enter your VIN there and see if the car was originally ordered with FG2 shocks. If it was, it doesn't necessarily mean they were on the car. And if it wasn't, that doesn't necessarily mean someone didn't put them on later.

For the replacements, they should have given you a work order that has the part numbers they used on it.

That said, I don't believe the shock life you've gotten so far is normal. Maybe just bad luck (or bad luck combined with a crummy dealer, if it turns out they really didn't replace anything). Though I only have 17k on mine so I can't comment on the expected life.

I just tried to check my VIN. That site wants $5 to have a peek.

darkman
03-30-14, 01:42 PM
I have been trolling this site looking for reports of a CTS-V ride becoming dramatically rough. Our CTS-V is a 2004 and we have owned it for 9 years (second owner). This car is garage kept and has about 5,000 miles put on it annually (an easy life for a car). I've replaced the shocks/struts once about 2 years ago. The problem we are having right now is it feels like the car is going to shake apart after hitting the smallest bump. This problem started during a 500 mile drive back home from visiting family. Tires (OEM spec run-flat Eagle F1) and struts both appear normal according the shop I use. Any suggestions from my fellow CTS-V owners? How old, in months or years, are your tires?

thebigjimsho
03-30-14, 05:44 PM
Check your end links and sway bar bushings.