: Metal strip running length of car on each side? Do you have it too ?

SHOWGIRL
12-30-10, 05:53 PM
2010 (used) DTS 'performance' white ''diamond''

First of all - wishing you all have a Happy, Healthy New Year !:yup
---------------------
now my question...
-------------------------
when i look at the outside of the car when it is elevated (i.e. top of our driveway, etc.) or from a distance at ground-level, there is a metal bar ''under' the body-color rocker-panels on each side of the car, below the doors (when they are closed) .
These 'bars' are kind of ''set-in' and more 'under' the body ending at both wheel wells with the word ''JACK' at both ends of this strip (near each wheel-well)
this 'area' isn't visible when you're right next to the car - you 'do' have to be a good distance away and at the 'correct' angle ..but is this normal ?-it looks almost as if the car's 'underside is showing !!!
There is no 'plastic' covering for each metal strip to match the color of the car (below the rocker panel)- this metal 'strip' is totally exposed.
Looking at the diagram in the owner's manual showing how to change a tire, it is written : find the corresponding cut-outs in the plastic molding''. (pg 6-84) with the word 'JACK'
So, should this metal strip where the jacks are placed have been painted the car's color to 'blend-in' with the car's body or at least have a corresponding plastic 'cover' the same color as the car ?
Thanks in advance for your information !!! :suspense: Showgirl

Lev Blekher
01-02-11, 12:49 AM
It sounds like you are describing a part of the floor pan. This is usually not painted but has clear protective coating. This is part of all vehicles. Can you post a picture of the part?

SHOWGIRL
01-02-11, 07:16 AM
It sounds like you are describing a part of the floor pan. This is usually not painted but has clear protective coating. This is part of all vehicles. Can you post a picture of the part?--
-------------------------------------------------
Hello & thanks for responding - i'm sure you're correct - i realize that the metal bar with the word 'jack' embedded on each end near each wheel-well is what you describe (part of floor-pan) i just wondered if there was supposed to be a 'cosmetic' plastic cover on it that would be the same color as the car's body -and that this cover would have cut-outs allowing only the word ''jack' to be visible, not the entire exposed 'bar' ...
Thanks again - Showgirl :suspense:

Lev Blekher
01-02-11, 06:20 PM
Aside from the rocker panel, none of the metal in that area should have plastic covers on it. Hope that helps.

SHOWGIRL
01-02-11, 07:17 PM
Aside from the rocker panel, none of the metal in that area should have plastic covers on it. Hope that helps.
-------------------------
hi ! just posted here 'again' - ''solved'' with heading........ i appreciate your help - you're right - i saw the same car as ours making a turn and got a good side-view and lo and behold ! there was the 'metal' bar peeking out from under that car ...that's a relief - because this is a used car i thought anything could be possible - LOL .
Many thanks - Happy new Year ! S.G. :yup: