: Snow Tire Sizes

hnic91
12-30-10, 08:28 AM
I have a quick question, I'm about to pull the trigger on Nokian Hakka 5s. I was thinking about getting 225/40R18 for the front and 255/45R18 for the rear. Will this setup work. It shouldn't mess with my stability control correct?

They also have 235/50R18 but that will not fit the front correct.

Pls help!!

kevm14
12-30-10, 09:20 AM
235/50-18 would be too tall, yes. I'm not sure the wheels can accomodate it but 225/50-18 would probably be an ideal winter size, inside the stock diameter. I have no idea why you'd stagger the size of snow tires. 225/40 is shorter than stock (a LOT shorter) and 255/45 is taller than stock, which is an 8% delta front to rear. That will mess up the stability control, most likely.

hnic91
12-30-10, 09:32 AM
235/50-18 would be too tall, yes. I'm not sure the wheels can accomodate it but 225/50-18 would probably be an ideal winter size, inside the stock diameter. I have no idea why you'd stagger the size of snow tires. 225/40 is shorter than stock (a LOT shorter) and 255/45 is taller than stock, which is an 8% delta front to rear. That will mess up the stability control, most likely.

Thank you, I just wanted to have a fatter tire out back for the times it isnt snowing for a little more grip but I will just go with the 225/40 all around.

AAIIIC
12-30-10, 09:39 AM
I have a quick question, I'm about to pull the trigger on Nokian Hakka 5s.
Where are you in MA and why do you need a studded tire? I would think the WRG2s or Hakka Rs (or a few other winter performance tires) would be enough for just about anything but significant mountain driving, and there ain't much in the way of mountains in MA! :p

I was thinking about getting 225/40R18 for the front and 255/45R18 for the rear. Will this setup work.
If by "will this setup work?" you mean will the tires physically fit the wheels, then YES. Other than that, those sizes make no sense whatsoever, to the point that I wonder if you mis-typed them. A 225/40-18 is tiny - 1.6" shorter than stock!

It shouldn't mess with my stability control correct?
You've got a 7.8% difference in those sizes, which is without a doubt going to mess with your stability control!

Pls help!!
Go with the Hakka R, WRG2, Blizzak LM60, Dunlop Winter Sport M3, etc etc, any of which are available in the proper 245/45-18 size.

Castro
12-30-10, 12:39 PM
I recently installed Pirelli Sottozeros in the recommended size and have a flat spotting issue with them. I don't know if anyone else has but I've heard since that some high performance snow tires (bit of an oxymoron) can have this issue due to their materials being sensitive to sitting on cold surfaces. Mine vibrate at exactly 22mph up to around 28-30mph until warm and it's highly annoying. They work great when warm though, not bad in the corners for a snow tire and rated to 150mph I believe.

hnic91
12-30-10, 01:12 PM
Where are you in MA and why do you need a studded tire? I would think the WRG2s or Hakka Rs (or a few other winter performance tires) would be enough for just about anything but significant mountain driving, and there ain't much in the way of mountains in MA! :p

If by "will this setup work?" you mean will the tires physically fit the wheels, then YES. Other than that, those sizes make no sense whatsoever, to the point that I wonder if you mis-typed them. A 225/40-18 is tiny - 1.6" shorter than stock!

You've got a 7.8% difference in those sizes, which is without a doubt going to mess with your stability control!

Go with the Hakka R, WRG2, Blizzak LM60, Dunlop Winter Sport M3, etc etc, any of which are available in the proper 245/45-18 size.

The Hakka 5 are only 50$ more than the tire brands you mentioned. I can sacrific some dry roard handling for maximum snow handling. I have two small kids that I'm responsible to drive around and I want them to be as safe as possible. Not to mention my trips through the mountains in CT when traveling to and from jersey. The tires are rated to 188 mph which I almost never see 100 mph even during the summer so I think I'll be ok.

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 03:20 PM

Maybe not anything like the Rockies...but we've got a few formidable ones...

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 03:25 PM
The Hakka 5 are only 50$ more than the tire brands you mentioned. I can sacrific some dry roard handling for maximum snow handling. I have two small kids that I'm responsible to drive around and I want them to be as safe as possible. Not to mention my trips through the mountains in CT when traveling to and from jersey. The tires are rated to 188 mph which I almost never see 100 mph even during the summer so I think I'll be ok.
OK, now Mass has a few mountains. Connecticut? Unless you consider Turn 5 at Lime Rock a "mountain" I don't see it...

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 03:30 PM
235/50-18 would be too tall, yes. I'm not sure the wheels can accomodate it but 225/50-18 would probably be an ideal winter size, inside the stock diameter.
I disagree. While 225/50 18 is almost identical to the OEM size, 235/50 would be fine. It's not much taller but taller is good for snows. My recommendation has always been decrease the tread width by 10-20mm and increase the aspect ratio by 5%. If you can get 235/50 18 tires, I'd go that route...

hnic91
12-30-10, 03:46 PM
I disagree. While 225/50 18 is almost identical to the OEM size, 235/50 would be fine. It's not much taller but taller is good for snows. My recommendation has always been decrease the tread width by 10-20mm and increase the aspect ratio by 5%. If you can get 235/50 18 tires, I'd go that route...

Damn I already made the purchase. Thats the size i was gonna go with but I assumed that it wouldn't fit the front. On 84 in CT there are a few spots where the incline is kinda steep for the snow at least.

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 03:56 PM
Damn I already made the purchase. Thats the size i was gonna go with but I assumed that it wouldn't fit the front. On 84 in CT there are a few spots where the incline is kinda steep for the snow at least.
Where did you make the purchase? I buy all my tires(almost all) at the Tire Rack and now they have a warehouse in Windsor, CT. They have a good installer nearby, too! If it was from them, you could just swap 'em...

Anywho, I drove home in that crazy snowstorm in Dec '08 from Manhattan back to Billerica in my Town Car on all season touring Michelins. If I can make it in that mess, those "mountains" in CT are nothing, haha...

JFensty
12-30-10, 03:56 PM
When I bought my V 3 months ago it had Michelin Alpin Sport tires on it already 245/45 18.(Bonus?) Whats wierd is the spare was a Dunlop Winter sport 235/50 18. The car was orig from Connecticut. Is the old owner on here? 04 Blk/tan with 100k miles

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 04:04 PM
Personally, I'm looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS for my '09 V. I grew up in a world where you ALWAYS had snow tires in the winter. But, today, in New England, the roads are clear so fast that if you can survive the few hours per year(maybe 4-5 days out of the winter) with good all-seasons, you're fine. If I go with these, I'm going from 255/40 19F, 285/35 19R stock sizes to 245/45 19F, 275/40 19R for these tires. And they're less than $800 a set.

hnic91
12-30-10, 04:11 PM
Where did you make the purchase? I buy all my tires(almost all) at the Tire Rack and now they have a warehouse in Windsor, CT. They have a good installer nearby, too! If it was from them, you could just swap 'em...

Anywho, I drove home in that crazy snowstorm in Dec '08 from Manhattan back to Billerica in my Town Car on all season touring Michelins. If I can make it in that mess, those "mountains" in CT are nothing, haha...

When I had my A6 I drove in CT, nothing for me, but there were all types of cars and SUVs stuck on the side of the highway or off the road. I bought them from a vendor on ebay. Tire Rack doesn't sell Nokian tires. Tom Lyons told me 1200 for all four I got them for 880$ including shipping.

kevm14
12-30-10, 04:31 PM
I buy all my tires(almost all) at the Tire Rack and now they have a warehouse in Windsor, CT. They have a good installer nearby, too! If it was from them, you could just swap 'em...

Yeah I saw that while snow tire shopping for my Caprice. I actually grew up in Windsor. My parents still live there.

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 05:01 PM
Yeah I saw that while snow tire shopping for my Caprice. I actually grew up in Windsor. My parents still live there.
It's pretty sweet. They don't have any proving grounds or anything fancy like in South Bend, but it's still an impressive warehouse. I was there in the fall buying Michelins for my Town Car and had the tires in my car, was over at their recommended installer in 15 minutes and out the door in 25. The only thing better is if they installed them at the TR...

AAIIIC
12-30-10, 05:31 PM
The Hakka 5 are only 50$ more than the tire brands you mentioned.
I didn't mention the other ones because they're cheaper, I mentioned them because they're actually the right size and a better choice for your intended usage.

I can sacrific [sic] some dry roard [sic] handling for maximum snow handling.
You're going to sacrifice a LOT of dry road handling with a T-rated tire that's too small for your 4000# car. And having lived in southern NE for much of my driving years I can say with great confidence that studs are not even remotely necessary. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a car running studded tires in CT. When I was stationed out in WA I would occasionally see (and hear) people running studded tires because they went up into real, no shit mountains, not the little 1500ft bumps you're talking about.

99% of the time you're going to be driving on dry roads and those studs are going to do nothing but wear out.

I have two small kids that I'm responsible to drive around and I want them to be as safe as possible.
Which you could accomplish with any of the properly sized, very capable snow tires I mentioned.

Not to mention my trips through the mountains in CT when traveling to and from jersey.
teeheehee - mountains on I-84? In CT?!

The tires are rated to 188 mph which I almost never see 100 mph even during the summer so I think I'll be ok.
Actually, they're T-rated, which means they're good to 118mph. But that maximum speed rating really doesn't tell the whole story - a T-rated tire is not a performance tire. It's going to be softer and less responsive than an H- or V-rated winter performance tire.

On 84 in CT there are a few spots where the incline is kinda steep for the snow at least.
Again, nothing that any of the other tires I mentioned would have any problems with.

Ah well. Nice of you to post and ask for assistance so that you could then ignore all the advice. Have fun running tires with a marginal load index. Don't forget to account for your speedometer being off by 7%. On the bright side, your calculated gas mileage should go up by 7%, too, since your odometer is going to read 7% more mileage than you've actually covered.

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 06:11 PM
hahaha Pat, you're more of a douche than me sometimes. The guy obviously isn't as educated as you or me and had a quick question he was hoping he'd get an answer for. Obviously, there are a number of tires and a number of variables. His V may have the handling of an Impala now but there's no doubt he'll get where he needs to go...

JDB
12-30-10, 07:34 PM
big 2nd to AAIIIC's posts.

a 245/45/18 "performance" winter tire is the best for any car, imo, in the winter where you see <40F temps, mostly dry roads, but "need" snow performance a few days out of the year. I'm running this size Blizzaks LM25 and they've been perfect for the snow that I've seen in PA.

I know I will miss the winter traction of the Quattro in my old Audi A4 with a similar winter setup, tho, when it comes to climbing through 6-12"+ type storms. I also didn't have a nicely painted aero lip out front either to worry about.

kevm14
12-30-10, 08:24 PM
It's pretty sweet. They don't have any proving grounds or anything fancy like in South Bend, but it's still an impressive warehouse. I was there in the fall buying Michelins for my Town Car and had the tires in my car, was over at their recommended installer in 15 minutes and out the door in 25. The only thing better is if they installed them at the TR...

Who is their recommended installer? Anyone in town?

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 09:08 PM
Who is their recommended installer? Anyone in town?
They were about 15 minutes away in Granby. Route 10 Tire in Granby, CT, close to the MA line. Rte 10 shares with Rte 202 at that point...

kevm14
12-30-10, 09:30 PM
Nice, my old driving stomping grounds when I was in high school. I used to drive up to northern CT in that area and go nuts at like 1am.

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 11:36 PM
Nice, my old driving stomping grounds when I was in high school. I used to drive up to northern CT in that area and go nuts at like 1am.
Some of my favorite roads are from that area, west from northern CT into southern MA...

AAIIIC
12-30-10, 11:51 PM
The guy obviously isn't as educated as you or me and had a quick question he was hoping he'd get an answer for.
All the more reason to actually read and heed the responses! Instead he just spent $880 (or 880$ in his part of MA) on tires that are simply the wrong choice. I understand people have different priorities, but tires that are 1.6" too small, too narrow (on a car that already has tires too narrow for its considerable bulk), and have a marginal load index (I believe 4 points lower than the stock tires) aren't just suboptimal, they're the wrong choice.

Unfortunately, these sorts of situations are all too common on the good ol' internet. Regardless of how many times I see such threads, though, they always make me :helpless:.

hnic91
12-31-10, 01:28 AM
I didn't mention the other ones because they're cheaper, I mentioned them because they're actually the right size and a better choice for your intended usage.

You're going to sacrifice a LOT of dry road handling with a T-rated tire that's too small for your 4000# car. And having lived in southern NE for much of my driving years I can say with great confidence that studs are not even remotely necessary. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a car running studded tires in CT. When I was stationed out in WA I would occasionally see (and hear) people running studded tires because they went up into real, no shit mountains, not the little 1500ft bumps you're talking about.

99% of the time you're going to be driving on dry roads and those studs are going to do nothing but wear out.

Which you could accomplish with any of the properly sized, very capable snow tires I mentioned.

teeheehee - mountains on I-84? In CT?!

Actually, they're T-rated, which means they're good to 118mph. But that maximum speed rating really doesn't tell the whole story - a T-rated tire is not a performance tire. It's going to be softer and less responsive than an H- or V-rated winter performance tire.

Again, nothing that any of the other tires I mentioned would have any problems with.

Ah well. Nice of you to post and ask for assistance so that you could then ignore all the advice. Have fun running tires with a marginal load index. Don't forget to account for your speedometer being off by 7%. On the bright side, your calculated gas mileage should go up by 7%, too, since your odometer is going to read 7% more mileage than you've actually covered.

First off I never asked your damn opinion about what tire to buy. So I didn't need your obnoxious suggestions. You helped me in now way. Just cause you know a little about tires but don't feel like your the sh*t.

I made my choice and I'll deal with it. You can kiss my ass how about that. I'm sure your well versed in that too. To the person I think bigjimshow thank you for your input. I went with the 235/50/18. To the doucebag kiss my ass your worthless here.

hnic91
12-31-10, 01:31 AM
All the more reason to actually read and heed the responses! Instead he just spent $880 (or 880$ in his part of MA) on tires that are simply the wrong choice. I understand people have different priorities, but tires that are 1.6" too small, too narrow (on a car that already has tires too narrow for its considerable bulk), and have a marginal load index (I believe 4 points lower than the stock tires) aren't just suboptimal, they're the wrong choice.

Unfortunately, these sorts of situations are all too common on the good ol' internet. Regardless of how many times I see such threads, though, they always make me :helpless:.

They may be the wrong choice for you and yea I spent 880$ on the wrong tire. Was that sh*t supposed to be funny? So many sh*t talkers on the internet cause someone is doing something you don't agree with. RELAX i choose the tires i want and I'll dig my own grave!

AAIIIC
12-31-10, 10:36 AM
So I didn't need your obnoxious suggestions.
Suggesting tires that would be the proper size, would perform as well if not better, and would cost less is "obnoxious"? Huh.

Just cause you know a little about tires but don't feel like your the sh*t.
Damn, it's going to be a big adjustment to stop feeling like I'm the shit because I know about tires. I guess I'll start by tearing up my favorite t-shirt, which says, "I know more about tires than you do!!" and has two middle fingers on it. :rolleyes:

What's funny is that my entire last post would not have been made now that I know that you apparently went with the 235/50s rather than the 225/40s. My comments about the wrong tires were based on your choice of the 225/40...

Thank you, I just wanted to have a fatter tire out back for the times it isnt snowing for a little more grip but I will just go with the 225/40 all around.

I disagree. While 225/50 18 is almost identical to the OEM size, 235/50 would be fine. ... If you can get 235/50 18 tires, I'd go that route...
Damn I already made the purchase. Thats the size i was gonna go with but I assumed that it wouldn't fit the front.

But now you've said that you actually got the 235/50s, which is a much smarter choice.

To the person I think bigjimshow thank you for your input. I went with the 235/50/18.
I still think the studded tires are pointless, but whatever.

They may be the wrong choice for you and yea I spent 880$ on the wrong tire.
Actually, you spent $880.