: DTS horsepower

mack1a
09-23-04, 11:33 PM
I own a 2003 DTS which was listed at 300 HP. I bought an SRX this year (320 HP). I probably should have bought another DTS instead since I think it is the best thing Cadillac ever did. Just perusing through the 2005 DTS and realized that it is listed at 290 HP. What happened? I know they are trying to kill off the DTS (First the ETC, now the DTS) in their zeal to make all Cadillacs be commie cars (gas filler on the passenger side) and appeal to europeans but what did they do to make the DTS actually lose HP? I suppose they took the LEDs off of the mirrors too.

Jesda
09-24-04, 04:23 AM
Maybe its cost cutting + emissions + lack of consumer demand for such features.

mack1a
09-28-04, 02:09 AM
Maybe it is one or more of those, but I can say that do die hard DTS fan would never want to give up power, don't know how they would save money by re-engineering something that reduces HP, and not aware of any emission changes that would impact the model year (well maybe CA. as who knows ahat they will do).

Just wondering if it has anything to do with honesty in octane recommendations.

Ranger
09-28-04, 11:13 AM
Keep in mind that you would probably have a hard time noticing 10 HP. Add to that the fact the max HP is only realized at top end. How often do you drive at 6000 RPM? Torque curve would be a more imortant comparison. Remember what Bbobynksi said, "people buy HP, but they drive torque". Makes sense.

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-28-04, 07:42 PM
I wonder do people really use the 300hp that is in the DTS anyways? I own an 03 DTS, and to this day I have never floored it, nor have I been faster than 85mph in it. I think the HP number is more of a sales aid...

cguthrie
09-28-04, 07:54 PM
Lord have mercy! Never floored it or exceeded 85? Really?

I hammer my N* daily, and occasionally run up to & + 85 just in traffic around DC.

Basically the motor/trans and ride is reason I'll by Cadillac again. It absolutely screams, looks fairly innocent, and still gives 22 MPG!

To each his own,

Chris
99 STS 97K

PS - OK, now I realize why my rotors only last 40K!

mack1a
09-29-04, 12:13 AM
Yep, lotsa car means hot rotors.

I don't know how anyone who owns a DTS can hit an expressway on ramp with anything less than full throttle. (unless some dolt got in front of you)

I agree that 10 HP might be tough to notice. We all know the DTS (at least as we know it is a gonner). I was just curious as to why they downsized the HP. Was that to cause more differientation between th3 320 HP STS/SRX and the 290 DTS.

cruzajc1
09-29-04, 06:04 AM
YOU NEED TO FLOOR THE NORTHSTAR OR YOU WILL GET CARBON BUILDUP. NOT FLOORING THE N* IS ACTUALLY BAD FOR THE ENGINE.

Gus
cruzajc1@aol.com

mack1a
09-29-04, 10:25 AM
I have 2 Northstars and always wanted a logical reason to justify why my gas mileage is so poor because I just love to nail them. Well... now I have a reason and now I know that what I consider fun is actually benificial to these fine works of art and standing on it is just my duty.

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-30-04, 12:29 AM
YOU NEED TO FLOOR THE NORTHSTAR OR YOU WILL GET CARBON BUILDUP. NOT FLOORING THE N* IS ACTUALLY BAD FOR THE ENGINE.

Gus
cruzajc1@aol.com

Really?

growe3
09-30-04, 08:38 AM
Really?

Yes, really.

Occasional WOT's help keep the carbon from building up in the combustion chamber, and downshifting when slowing allows the rings to "flutter" and stay free in the ring lands. The above also helps keep the rings sealed against the piston walls to reduce oil usage, from the aggressive cylinder hone.

If you see a lot of dust or smoke when you floor it, you aren't doing it enough. It isn't hard to keep this engine running free, so you don't need to drive reckless, but you should be aware this engine would probably be happier on a race track. So make it happy when ever you can. :)

-George

Ranger
09-30-04, 10:56 AM
Really?
Yup. Go to the cadillacforums.com home page and click on technical information in the upper left corner. Scroll down and you'll find a very detailed explanaition of what growe3 told you.

Swangin-&-Bangin
10-01-04, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the info... I had no idea that anything good could come out of "driving" my cadillac. So I guess I need to stop babying her and open her up some times.... I will keep this in mind...