: Caddy wont start with lots of moisture in air

SDCaddyLacky
12-29-10, 08:09 PM
My 94 FWB wont start after a rainstorm even when I haven't driven it. I am guessing that moisture in the air is getting inside of the Opti which is preventing it from turning over. No water has touch the distributor, or plug wires, that's why I'm confused on what could be the cause other than it being damp outside.

I had the same problem last week after the insane rainstorm we had in California, the car wouldn't start for 3 days, up until the sun came out and dried everything up. The car doesn't have any issues or starting problems at normal temps, doesn't hesitate, runs very smooth. It's only when I start it, this has never happened before up until this past week.

Is it the Opti? or could it be something else? Even with some moisture in the air, it shouldn't cause it to not kick over, that would be unacceptable. Since my car is a 94, it has the vented system (or no?), little hoses to suck out moisture in the Opti.

Thanks peeples :thumbsup:

thefleetwoodguy
12-29-10, 09:41 PM
I had this same issue with both my 94 fleetwoods at the same time
thanks to someone on this forum a while back
they said replace the coil wire
did this to the first one and it started right up, so I changed the 2nd one and
it fired right up.
neither did it again after that, I know it almost sounds to simple
but it worked, figure if the coil wire is discharging no cylinder will get its proper
spark , so a no start will result, if I remember when trying to start both those cars, it would almost catch but was erratic and stumbling for a second then just die out

SDCaddyLacky
12-30-10, 07:12 AM
I actually replaced my plugs and wires a year ago, including the the coil wire, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem, ( possibly the coil itself?). In case this keeps happening, then I will just try it out and see what happens if switching out coil wires work.

The car started finally after the air started to dry out. This is crazy, since I checked the vacuum hoses to the Opti, and they look fine, nothing loose for moisture to seep in. In the mean time I am going to get a nice car cover for it, hopefully this will control the moisture for now especially when it rains.

thefleetwoodguy
12-31-10, 03:00 PM
well , I could get those cars started by putting a blow dryer
on the front of the opti
for about 10 min, but once I changed the coil wire
it never did it again,could be if the spark wasnt strong enough it couldnt
overcome the moisture
were your wires a quality brand?
I got burned on a set of discount wires once, just a thought

SDCaddyLacky
12-31-10, 03:40 PM
The wires are Napa Beldan wires, the blue ones. I suppose they're good quality. I have the plastic covering around them to prevent heat and oil ruining the wires.

Wish you could just by coil wires instead of the whole set.

thefleetwoodguy
12-31-10, 05:01 PM
I hear ya
I dont think I have any
but I will look