: Accessories: Are there some that breakdown more than others?

orconn
12-29-10, 03:27 PM
Over the years car accessories have multiplied to the point that a well appointed "luxury" car must have a zillion of these just to qualify for their class. I remember back in the fifties or sixties a car was considered really special if it had power windows and a signal seeking radio .... and air conditioning was a very expensive option only available on expensive makes. Power seats ran the seat back and forth but no up and down or tilt was part of the deal. Climate control was "ON", "LOW" or "High" and the heater itself was an option. All these optional accessories not only added to the cost of a new car, but were actually liabilities in a used car; they broke down a lot and cost a lot to repair.

Some of my Cadillac's accessories have held up pretty well (this seemed to be the case back then also, the accessories on a Cadillac seemed to hold up while those on an Oldsmobile (98 or not) seem to fail with regularity.

Power windows on a foreign make broke with regularity, as did their radios and HVAC systems.

So I was wondering what experience you guys have had recently with all the accessory options that today's cars come with? Do they stand up pretty well or are having to get them fixed on a regular basis?

Aron9000
12-29-10, 03:43 PM
You know people say power windows break all the time, but I've haven't had one fail on me yet. That is coming from somebody who has owned two Camaros and a Regal with 250k+ miles, the Fbody is notorious for burnt out window motors.

I've noticed on older GM cars that the radios tend to tear up. This was the case with the Cadillac when I bought it, neither the CD player or tape deck worked. Power antenna quit working last year, those always tear up on any car, and they've pretty much done away with them.

A/C compressor and system tend to be a liability at 10-15 years of age, but that's pretty universal on any car.

Playdrv4me
12-29-10, 05:41 PM
There are very few vehicle options anymore that are liabilities like they used to be. The only feature I have universal disdain for on ANY car, is air suspension systems. From there, each make and model occasionally has things that are known to go bad. For example the power steering wheel extender on the LS430 of all things, is a known weak point. A trait shared with the 2003 and up Range Rover. Overall, I'll happily take the features over a base model car and take my chances.

Ranger
12-31-10, 11:10 PM
The 2000 - 2005 Deville "pop n drop" windows seem to be rather failure prone.

Playdrv4me
01-01-11, 01:38 AM
The 2000 - 2005 Deville "pop n drop" windows seem to be rather failure prone.

The window regulator on the passenger side of the Expedition makes a TERRIBLE racket going up and down (sounds kind of like the sound when you tear a piece of duct tape off a hard surface) but it works just fine. The door lock on the back driver's side door is finicky though.

hueterm
01-01-11, 02:46 PM
Any GM window regulator, motor, or switch -- I've replaced them all. Any GM A/C compressor -- a fail-safe failure...

Fuel pumps/sending units...are also fail on pretty much any older GM.