: When taking left U-turns and sharp left turns, wheel jumps/humps?

durrk johnson
12-29-10, 01:55 AM
Now when im taking a sharp lefthand turn, or everytime I make a left u-turn, the wheel feels as if it jumps or is hitting humps. Like when im turning the harder it is, and it goes like bump, bump, bump, bump until I start to release the turn.

Anyone know what could cause this? It just started happening, and only happens when it the wheel is being turned all the way to the left.

sven914
12-29-10, 02:41 AM
It could be air in the hydraulics or maybe the worm lost some teeth.

durrk johnson
12-29-10, 02:45 AM
huh?

sven914
12-29-10, 02:56 AM
You are talking about a steering wheel... Right? Your steering is hydraulically assisted, and if you get air in the lines, it can cause the wheel to suddenly stiffen and loosen, thus feeling like it's bumping in your hand. Also, the steering gear uses a worm gear to manually move the steering rack from side to side. The worm can get chewed up and cause the gears in the steering box to mesh improperly, thus causing a bumping feeling.

But if you meant an actual wheel (as in drive wheel), then there is probably something wrong with your differential. The differential has spider gears in it that allow slippage, which enables one tire to slow down during a turn. If the spiders were binding, the wheels would be forced to turn at the same rate, and going into a turn would cause the car to bump.

Aron9000
12-29-10, 03:43 AM
I know this sounds stupid, but . . . .

When at full lock in my 1991, the front wheels will rub slightly against the frame or whatever. You can kind of hear/feel this. And I am running the stock rims, stock tire size. Doubt this is your problem, but just saying.

jayoldschool
12-29-10, 08:34 AM
It is the spindle binding and releasing against the steering stop. The solution is to grease the contact points on both. There is a TSB from GM on this.

durrk johnson
12-29-10, 12:08 PM
You are talking about a steering wheel... Right? Your steering is hydraulically assisted, and if you get air in the lines, it can cause the wheel to suddenly stiffen and loosen, thus feeling like it's bumping in your hand. Also, the steering gear uses a worm gear to manually move the steering rack from side to side. The worm can get chewed up and cause the gears in the steering box to mesh improperly, thus causing a bumping feeling.

But if you meant an actual wheel (as in drive wheel), then there is probably something wrong with your differential. The differential has spider gears in it that allow slippage, which enables one tire to slow down during a turn. If the spiders were binding, the wheels would be forced to turn at the same rate, and going into a turn would cause the car to bump.

No, no, no, Im talking about the actual LEFT wheel itself. Not the steering wheel. Sorry, didnt clarify that...

pcm
12-29-10, 05:45 PM
it could be your ball joints or tie rod ends

brougham
12-29-10, 10:03 PM
The wheel is rubbing something or typical GM steering if you've got the wheel turned all the way.

jayoldschool
12-29-10, 11:29 PM
Here is a shot of the steering stop. This is the cause of the problem, as I described above. Either grease your stops, or don't crank the wheel all the way over. Also, rubbing of tire when turning is the tire hitting the swaybar, not the frame.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2756/561/6887780030_large.jpg

durrk johnson
12-30-10, 10:37 PM
Here is a shot of the steering stop. This is the cause of the problem, as I described above. Either grease your stops, or don't crank the wheel all the way over. Also, rubbing of tire when turning is the tire hitting the swaybar, not the frame.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2756/561/6887780030_large.jpg

How does one "grease his stops" might I ask?

jayoldschool
12-30-10, 11:10 PM
Take a tub of wheel bearing grease in one hand, stick the other hand in, and smear the grease on the stop surfaces on the spindle and the lower control arm. ;)

brougham
12-31-10, 02:16 AM
I don't even remember seeing that on mine. When I see the car again in the spring I'll have to look at that.