Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rear Shocks

5K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  D3l7a3ch0 
#1 · (Edited)
One of my rear strut bolts has broken off on my 05 ctsv, and is clunkin like crazy when I drive it. So obviously this needs to be replaced. I was curious on what you guys suggest for replacement. It seems like all the factory suspension parts are junk from what ive read.

#5 ·
I was curious on what you guys suggest for replacement. It seems like all the factory suspension parts are junk from what ive read.
I'm not sure what you've read that gives you that impression. I don't think I've ever read anything bad about the FG2 dampers. Unfortunately, they're apparently very hard to find new (discontinued?).

There aren't a whole lot of aftermarket options to replace just the strut. Looking a couple places online it appears the aftermarket dampers out there are intended to be replacements for the regular CTS or the softer FE4 suspension. I suppose you could do QA-1 dampers in the rear, but I don't have any personal experience with them so I don't know how they would compare to factory front dampers (might throw off the balance of the car).

Hopefully it's just the lower bolt, as D3w9238471 said, so you can just replace that. (If that's the case, use an OEM part. That's not a bolt you want to replace with something from Home Depot.)

#6 ·
I love my FG2s but yeah they are hard to find and yeah they are expensive. There are a good number of early failure reports on this forum for FG2s (under 30k miles) but you have to keep in mind that most people post on this forum to report problems and wouldn't necessarily come on to say "hey my fg2s are great and they lasted 100k!". My car has 39k on it now and the fg2s are still going strong (no sign of oil leak yet). I hope they last much longer but who knows...

#7 ·
I also have FG2s but the previous owner said they were fairly recent when I bought the car at 97k. It didn't have them from the factory. I would replace them with another set if anything happened. I think they are still available as a set of 4. Should be $1100 or so. Funny thing is, the replacement cost for the 09+ MR shocks is only a little more than that, and they might last longer if they can correct for valve wear over time.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. Unfortunately it is one of the top bolts and not the bottom. This car is very new to me, just bought it a week ago, so kind of lost on what to replace it with. Its my daily driver and dont plan on modifying it much, I have my gto for that. It does appear that the FG2s are impossible to find now. Im guessing my options are very limited

#9 ·
You want P/N 12499241. I get a couple hits when I google the number. But that's a set. If you want one, yeah, you are probably stuck. You could always buy a set and see if anyone else needs one (a different one). It might work out if multiple people need single shocks, or a pair from the other end of the car.

#10 ·
Thanks for the part number kevm. I didnt realize these factory shocks were so expensive. 1100 a set is pretty hefty, but definitely cant drive around the way it is. The local pepboys says I can get some monroe shocks for like 300 but im guessing those are more for the regular cts and the car will probably ride like crap. Hmmm might just have to charge the shocks and eat it

#12 ·
If it were me I'd attempt to fix the shock before I bought a new set, for sure. If you don't want to upgrade you should have an easier time finding an FE4. I would not run any of the typical aftermarket brands. No KYB, Monroe, etc. Bilstein and Koni don't appear to make shocks for our cars...that's the way it is.

#13 ·
I've got a shock mount laying around somewhere. If you are interested I can try to find it.

#17 ·
If you just snapped a shock mount stud I have one. You dont need the whole shock and that is a ridiculous price for one shock anyway. But like someone said, should be able to just replace the stud with a bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.