: Top Gear: Fiero, Cutlass, Roadmaster road test

Koooop
12-29-10, 12:49 AM
Even I'm put off by this episode. Maybe those aren't the most desirable cars GM ever built, but someone loves 'em and they looked pretty decent before those morons FUBARed them.

Idiots.

hueterm
12-29-10, 12:57 AM
I think they were pretty much shot before filming started. The RMW should have done better than 9-10 sec to 60, and was REALLY rusty. It just hid it well. However, I'm sure it could have been parted out to other needy RMWs

The Fiero was probably the most blatant waste, as it could have been modded w/an LS or N*, or whatever.

The Cutlass looked like a POS w/that color, and it was pretty beat up, but who knows how bad.

All in all (as a RMW owner, one of which is a white '94 nonetheless), I think it was worth sacrificing one near POS RMW to show how well they performed to the masses.

hueterm
12-29-10, 12:58 AM
Double post....

Anyway, I have to say that before I saw the show, I felt the exact same way -- but I mellowed after watching it a couple of times.

Koooop
12-29-10, 01:31 AM
Now they're racing a Donzi, a Lotus and a Cessna. WTF?

hueterm
12-29-10, 01:37 AM
A Donkey? j/k... What's a Donzi?

Aron9000
12-29-10, 04:44 AM
A Donkey? j/k... What's a Donzi?

A speed boat with two supercharged big block Chevrolet engines. The cruise speed is 90mph:cool2:

Rolex
12-29-10, 10:05 AM
Am I out of my mind or should the cruising speed of a boat with that much HP be much more than 90?

orconn
12-29-10, 11:24 AM
Is there any value in watching this show, other than moronic pleasure from watching three sub par guys mentally masterbate?

gary88
12-29-10, 01:00 PM
It may not be the best show ever, but it's surely better than any other US car-related show. It's getting slightly better as the episodes go on.

Submariner409
12-29-10, 01:08 PM
Am I out of my mind or should the cruising speed of a boat with that much HP be much more than 90?

Like a car, it all depends on engine(s), power, torque, prop size and gearing, and hull design/weight. Remember- we're moving a mass through/on a medium many many times more dense than air.

Donzi (Florida) makes quite a few different boats - from semi-cruisers to 16' speedboats to offshore monster race boats running 4 and 5 engines, all supercharged. Think Miami Vice at a million bucks a copy............ Some of 'em burn over 175 gallons an hour, minimum 93 octane. Just the ticket for running over to Nassau for lunch.

Lord Cadillac
12-29-10, 03:14 PM
Those were all great cars at one time. I've owned a Fiero and Cutlass. I'd even like to own them again if I could one day.. I'd love a Northstar powered Fiero. And the Roadmaster wagon is like a Fleetwood wagon. I can't not like it...

Playdrv4me
12-29-10, 03:29 PM
Didn't we already have two discussions about this?

77CDV
12-29-10, 04:12 PM
^I thought it all sounded vaguely familiar....

Koooop
12-29-10, 04:24 PM
A speed boat with two supercharged big block Chevrolet engines. The cruise speed is 90mph:cool2:

The Donzi looked to be over 40', it's big offshore boat. 90 MPH in the ocean is FAST. I've had lake boats that would go over 90MPH, but the ocean is a different story.

The episode did get kind of fun at the end, but they've got a way to go with these guys.

orconn
12-29-10, 04:34 PM
You mean the part where they were dive bombing the Donzi with handgrenades from Cesna? Or the part when they took the wrong off ramp and broadsided the manatee with the Lotus?

Aron9000
12-29-10, 04:38 PM
Yeah, they couldn't have picked three more boring guys to host. IMO the reason the British top gear show is so successful is its the three stooges with cars. I love the British version, the American version is just:yawn:

Rolex
12-29-10, 05:12 PM
Like a car, it all depends on engine(s), power, torque, prop size and gearing, and hull design/weight. Remember- we're moving a mass through/on a medium many many times more dense than air.

Donzi (Florida) makes quite a few different boats - from semi-cruisers to 16' speedboats to offshore monster race boats running 4 and 5 engines, all supercharged. Think Miami Vice at a million bucks a copy............ Some of 'em burn over 175 gallons an hour, minimum 93 octane. Just the ticket for running over to Nassau for lunch.

Holy carp! FOr that kind of operating cost you can keep it! Besides I would look stupid trying to trout fish out of one of those. :pwn: