: It's official: the limo sucks in the snow

turbojimmy
12-28-10, 09:36 PM
I thought maybe the weight of it and the skinny tires would help. But no.

I went to a friend's house Sunday night for dinner with 7 other friends in the back of the limo. It was snowing HARD and as the night went on, I became increasingly concerned about being able to navigate the steep mountain roads. When we finally left, the roads were totally covered.

Now I will readily admit that I ignored the advice of all 5 women in the car, which I will never be allowed to forget, and made a wrong turn up a steep hill. Half way up, I got my bearings and realized that I had indeed zigged when I should have zagged. Good thing because the limo wasn't going anywhere anyway. After acknowledging that they were indeed right and I was wrong, I asked for their assistance in backing down the hill. I got turned around and faced down the hill, pointed toward home.

Despite being a 7,000 lb. sled, literally, I could still steer it with all 4 wheels locked up. We made it home safely.

Then, I got it stuck on Monday and had to leave it in a parking lot across from our place. The thing is pretty much helpless.

I need to put together a strategy. Maybe Blizzaks and a locking differential. Something's wacky with the brakes, too. The RF wheel locks up immediately. Back brakes don't seem to be pulling their weight.

It was fun though - it's a lot of vehicle to slide around in.

sven914
12-28-10, 10:30 PM
Your car is only as good as the tires you have on it. If you have just a normal all season tire, you will get nowhere. This is what I have on my car:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0Tilek-08-4/SHQMbbi8tZI/AAAAAAAAAO8/wi6srPJfHwA/s320/KellyWintermarkHT.jpg

Wintermark Snow tires, made by Kelly Tire (http://www.kellytires.com/cfmx/web/kellytiresel/details.cfm?product=349&selector=size&metric=P&width=235&rim=15&aspect=75). They come in 235/75R15, which should work on your car.

turbojimmy
12-28-10, 11:18 PM
Your car is only as good as the tires you have on it. If you have just a normal all season tire, you will get nowhere. This is what I have on my car:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0Tilek-08-4/SHQMbbi8tZI/AAAAAAAAAO8/wi6srPJfHwA/s320/KellyWintermarkHT.jpg

Wintermark Snow tires, made by Kelly Tire (http://www.kellytires.com/cfmx/web/kellytiresel/details.cfm?product=349&selector=size&metric=P&width=235&rim=15&aspect=75). They come in 235/75R15, which should work on your car.

Yep, I just have all season tires. Do you have those on all 4 corners?

sven914
12-28-10, 11:20 PM
Yeah. The rear ones used to be studded before my a**hole neighbor put nails in them.

turbojimmy
12-28-10, 11:26 PM
The nails make the studs come out?

durrk johnson
12-29-10, 01:04 AM
You should know that man, You arent going to go anywhere with a car like that without snowtires.

And skinny tires helping? Uh uh... You need some nice wintertires budddy. I dont have em either and Im sliding all over right now.

sven914
12-29-10, 01:45 AM
The nails make the studs come out?

It does when you don't have enough ca$h to buy new tires AND have them studded... But so far I haven't noticed a difference between them being studded and not.

albymangled
12-29-10, 07:40 AM
It must suck to need a second set of tires for the winter...

glad we don't need them here in Adelaide...

don't think I'd be interested in driving my Cad in snow / ice anyway....

danger aside I don't fancy the salt / grit used to break up the ice...

got a Jeep for general driving..

I'm glad I live near the capital of the driest state on the driest continent on Earth.....

need pretty good A/C here though...tomorrow 39 then Friday 43 degrees C...

Texans no doubt know what I mean..?

turbojimmy
12-29-10, 07:42 AM
You should know that man, You arent going to go anywhere with a car like that without snowtires.

And skinny tires helping? Uh uh... You need some nice wintertires budddy. I dont have em either and Im sliding all over right now.

I guess I should have known. It's been so long since I had a RWD car w/out trac control. I know the Trans Am is helpless, but it's a whole different animal. It's not supposed to go in the snow, so I let it sit (as an aside, however, my dad's '99 Camaro SS is his winter car - puts Blizzaks on it and gets around no problem).

Anyhow, looks like some winter tires are in my future. I like the looks of the Wintermark tires, but Blizzaks have always served me well too.

turbojimmy
12-29-10, 07:50 AM

I'm glad I live near the capital of the driest state on the driest continent on Earth.....

Eh, I don't mind the snow. Actually I love the snow - I spend every weekend this time of year snowboarding. You just have to have the right gear for it. I should've taken my GF's AWD Jag out that night, but the limo is too much fun.

I can get it to a point where it's decent in the snow. Tires do indeed make all the difference in the world.

outsider
12-29-10, 07:54 AM
when I bought my 95 it had nearly new snow tires (225/75/15) in the back and some old worn out summer tires up front. Before winter hit I bought 2 nearly new snow tires from some old guy (235/75/15) on some GM 5 lug rims....put those in the back and put the 225's in the front. So far, shockingly, I've only had to drive in the snow once this year. (in maine this is a miracle!) but the 95 had no problem. the big hill leading up to my house was full of stuck cars and everyone was afraid to try going up but the ol' caddy pulled herself up no problem. snow tires are awesome...studded tires are even better, especially if you're ganna be driving on icy roads. studs don't do much for normal snow, though.

cadillac_al
12-29-10, 11:08 AM
It shouldn't be that terrible in the snow. The tires must be pretty bad. I put Blizzacks to the test years ago and they did everything my studded tires would do. You might have a brake caliper sticking too and that will kill snow performance.

turbojimmy
12-29-10, 11:37 AM
It shouldn't be that terrible in the snow. The tires must be pretty bad. I put Blizzacks to the test years ago and they did everything my studded tires would do. You might have a brake caliper sticking too and that will kill snow performance.

Actually the tires are brand new all-season Firestones. The car has an open rear without traction control.

The brake thing is self-inflicted. I have HD pads on the right (the wheel that locks up) and standard pads on the left. I need to put the other set of HD pads on the left. It's a long story....

I'll probably get Blizzaks again. I just need to check the load rating.

sven914
12-29-10, 04:34 PM

I'm usually not interested in winter driving either, but the best part about snow and ice is having a big rear wheel drive car; coming into a vacant ice covered parking-lot at 30mph and jacking the wheel to send the car into a tail spin. That's the only thing I regret about the wintermarks; they grip too well and I can't have any fun with them.

turbojimmy
12-29-10, 05:02 PM
I'm usually not interested in winter driving either, but the best part about snow and ice is having a big rear wheel drive car; coming into a vacant ice covered parking-lot at 30mph and jacking the wheel to send the car into a tail spin. That's the only thing I regret about the wintermarks; they grip too well and I can't have any fun with them.

Very true. Note that statistically, at least 2 in every 5 people in the back of the limo will strongly object to this behavior. I call their attention to the "oh shit" handles conveniently placed above each of the 6 doors.

caddeville89
12-29-10, 08:21 PM
Wintermarks are the best snow tires I have ever used; studded or not. Good pricing too! Don't need them much in Kentucky so far, though if all this global warming keeps up I will have to start buying snow tires in the winter.

jayoldschool
12-29-10, 10:38 PM
I use Hankook iPike. By far the best winter tire I have ever used. Blocks for snow, great siping for ice, directional, and can be studded. I have them in 235 75 15 on my Roadmaster wagon, so that would work for your limo. They will be quieter than the Wintermarks above.

Here's the tread:

http://edmonton.lowprice.ca/_images/edmonton/49536_s.jpg

sven914
12-29-10, 11:07 PM
^A properly insulated Cadillac makes no noise and those don't have a white wall... And the Wintermarks come in 235/75R15 as well.

What is the stock tire for a last-gen? Isn't it 235/70R15?

jayoldschool
12-29-10, 11:09 PM
235 75 15 is the limo size, I believe ;)

turbojimmy
12-30-10, 07:00 AM
235 75 15 is the limo size, I believe ;)

Yes, it is.