: what could it be my battery or alternator ?

latin style
12-28-10, 06:20 PM
whats up everybody? im new to this forum and this is gonna be my 1st post. i find this site so helpful, thanks everybody.

but i now have a problem with my 05 escalade and wondering if anybody could help me ...

I turned on my car then i heard two clicks, sounded like it came from the front (didnt think nothing of it) i put my foot on the break and put it into drive then my dash lights and my nav screen went dim, then it went back to normal, i started driving and i heard the 2 clicks again and all the dash lights and the nav flashed on and off twice and all the needles for the speedometer,oil,battery went crazy and all went up and down, then only my battery light stayed on.
I pulled over turn off the car ,waited for like 10 mins and turn it on again everything seemed fine , drove it home and parked it havent drove it since.

By the way this happend to me yesterday, so if anyone could help me that would be great thanks....

liltrk
12-28-10, 07:04 PM
I would not rule out the ignition switch. Usually a dead battery will not act that way. Also, if the alternator is bad, the voltmeter will show low (12v rather than 14 or so).

Old Guy
12-28-10, 07:53 PM
yeh thats all pretty odd really, kinda hard to say what is causing that... where are the clicking noises coming from?

sk7
12-28-10, 08:05 PM
Welcome! Have a look at your battery terminals. Make sure they are clean and tight. Same for ground points from battery to body. I had to replace the 4GA main power supply to the fusebox on my truck this week. I had a few non-start issues, that I think were caused by lack of power to the PCM. The wire was all corroded on the inside. Keep us posted.

latin style
12-28-10, 09:54 PM
I would not rule out the ignition switch. Usually a dead battery will not act that way. Also, if the alternator is bad, the voltmeter will show low (12v rather than 14 or so).

the voltmeter does say 14 when i turn on the car, but when i have the heat on with the radio and roll up the window the voltmeter seems to go down a bit, then goes back up to 14 0r 15... does that mean its my alternator ???

latin style
12-28-10, 09:55 PM
and thank you all for your fast replys ....

the connections to the battery were change 2 years ago, the same time the battery was changed....but i will have to check the ground and other wires tomorrow cause its dark out now and i cant see.I will keep you updated :bonkers:

bstiffmanofsteel
12-28-10, 11:24 PM
Battery terminals, I had it happen on my 02 awhile back...

mosimann
12-29-10, 03:02 AM
Had bad terminals on a brand new battery from Walmart a few months ago. Make sure the battery and terminals are fine and don't forget to post after you find out the problem.

Blue EXT
12-30-10, 07:46 PM
I had the same problem on my 04 EXT about a year ago and it turned out to be an intermittent alternator that messed up my battery. If you pull them both most parts stores will check them for free. At least then you can narrow down the problem.

latin style
12-31-10, 02:46 PM
well i ended up taking out both the battery and alternator , got them both check the battery was good it had 12 volts, but when they tested the alternator they said that it was starting to go bad, i changed the alternator and everything seems to be fine now. :highfive:

thanks to everyone who reply

T-Giv
01-02-11, 07:57 PM
I have been getting some flickering in all of the lights on my truck lately and the idle is drops sometimes at night. The volt meter bounces around all the time between 10 volts and 14. I am thinking I need a new alternator and I'm going to do a new battery while I'm at it.

caddynew
02-10-11, 10:33 PM
Yes, I just experienced the same problem: been driving all day, and all of a sudden the "battery not charging" sign came on along with the red battery symbol. It would flicker on and off, few seconds in between. No flickering lights, or strange sounds, or change in performance. Noticed voltmeter reading dropped to 12V and stayed there, even in between the message cycle. So terminals, or battery, or wire, or alternator? What is the best way to trouble shoot? Am new to this, appreciate the patience in answering a caddy newbie like me. Cheers! --04 ESV