: Big Decisions Looming...

thebigjimsho
12-27-10, 08:55 PM
Alright guys, it's been 16 months. I wish I could just snap my fingers and get my '04 back on the road but it's being nestled in safely for another winter of inactivity. I won't be touching it for a rebuild until March, at the earliest.

It wouldn't cost me a ton to make it roadworthy again but it would be at least $4-6G and maybe a little more to have it looking great. My hesitation is with my new home and the extra work I've got. I also don't have an optimal place for 3 cars. I have my work car and '09. I'm starting to think I'll just track the '09 like I did the '04 when it was then my primary non-work car. For how good the brakes and power are in the '09, I can forgive the extra weight. And I don't need much to make it track how I want it.

So I'm thinking of parting out or selling the '04 as it sits. So I'd like your guys' opinions. This isn't a for sale ad, but if it starts going that way, I'll put it up. Many of the old guard would be familiar with what it's got. Some of the items:

Ground Control coilovers
Sach T2 shocks
Hotchkis sways
9.25" rear wheels w/ spacers
LS6 drivetrain w/ 61k miles
Gen IV differential
Lingenfelter CAI
B&B headers(no cats)
B&B catback
BMR strut tower brace
UUC 2 piece slotted rotors
Lloyds mats
V2 shift knob w/ swayde Redline shift boot

There may be an item or 2 I'm forgetting but let me know what you think. I could either spend a few grand to have both my '04 and '09 in my stable or make a few grand and just have the '09. The '09 could be an absolute beast with some dedicated wheels and slicks and maybe some coilovers. Just with a new house and potentially increasing my work fleet, simplifying things may be in my best interests.

So if you guys think my '04 may be worth it in parts or offers, I may go that route. what do you think it's worth in whole or in parts??

Twitch
12-27-10, 09:23 PM
:nono:

darkman
12-27-10, 09:34 PM
As sad as it is, simplification is probably the right decision.

As far as implementation goes, I suspect the parts are worth more than the whole. Having said that, turning yourself into a one man "pick-a-part" store may be pretty time consuming and not "simple."

Finally, if it were mine, I don't think I could stand the emotional drain of cannlbalizing the V down to nothing and having a truck haul off the remains. I would have to try first to sell the whole thing and reduce the process to a single good bye.

nikon
12-27-10, 09:40 PM
how much for the headers....dibs!

rjoffe
12-27-10, 09:41 PM
Jim,

Say it ain't so !

That being said, I'll ask how much you want for the UUC rotors :)

jmpumford
12-27-10, 10:14 PM
I agree with Darkman.

But if you do decide to part it out...

What color are the mats? A back up set would be nice.
How many miles on the diff?
I'd be interested the sways.

Stepside
12-27-10, 10:18 PM
:hmm: Sell both and buy ~ NEW ~ :stirpot:

thebigjimsho
12-27-10, 10:57 PM
The diff has about 11k miles. The mats are black.

I'd also prefer to sell it whole. The chassis is straight, there was no blunt impact. I think it would be a good value for an industrious person. At the same time, I'd want a decent amount for it. Not a ton, but not give it away, ya know?

thebigjimsho
12-27-10, 10:58 PM
how much for the headers....dibs!
haha

I see what you did there...

jweymar
12-27-10, 11:29 PM
Dude, gut that thing, put a bunch of down force adders on it, put a sparco seat in it and make it a dedicated track car!

thebigjimsho
12-27-10, 11:32 PM
Dude, gut that thing, put a bunch of down force adders on it, put a sparco seat in it and make it a dedicated track car!
I wish I could. But with my work, I don't have the time to do it myself and that would be more money to put in it. I'd rather just track my '09...

yooper
12-28-10, 12:01 AM
Tried to send you PM but you are full. Where the h is " In the barrel of a gun and how much damage? May be interested in track car. Please pm pictures

Zo6PwRd
12-28-10, 12:06 AM
ID like to know what youd want for the Lingenfelter CAI

jweymar
12-28-10, 12:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QyqCGP9CI&feature=player_embedded#!

thebigjimsho
12-28-10, 01:04 AM
Tried to send you PM but you are full. Where the h is " In the barrel of a gun and how much damage? May be interested in track car. Please pm pictures
Where is God's country? I'm in Massachusetts.

The damage is in the front left with cable median rash down the driver's side.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152449.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152505.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152583.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152659.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152678.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152738.jpg

thebigjimsho
12-28-10, 01:14 AM
What would be needed is mostly what you see. I've seen entire front clips go for about $3G. The front bumper support didn't go into the engine but a new radiator is needed. Also, the oil pan got sliced by a mile marker sign I ran over before I contacted the cable barrier. The doors still open and close without catching so those don't even need to be replaced if you don't care about aesthetics.

The PCM took a beating and a few of the wires were separated. I have a spare PCM, though, and it wouldn't be all that difficult to get connected.

No blunt trauma so no airbags went off. The cable did ride up enough on the hood to hit the bottom of the windshield so that would need replacing.

Baltimore07V
12-28-10, 04:56 AM
If you end up parting out the car, the BMR Brace, T2 shocks, rims/tires would all hold my interest. Let me know which way you go.

rand49er
12-28-10, 09:07 AM
Jim, darkman said it very well, IMHO.

To one extend or another, we all have time constraints, and negotiating first the highly desireable parts then onesie-twosie here and there, removing one part at a time, adequately boxing it up for shipment, and carting it off to UPS/FedEx would all consume untold hours of your time. Then, well into the coming months (years?) as the most-sought-after parts disappeared, you'd be left with a skeleton to dispose of all the while obsessing about it sitting out in the weather while many of the remaining parts became unusable.

Naw, do it in one clean kerchunk ... MUCH less fuss. Then, if it was to someone with plans to track it, you'd live to see it run again, too.

Good luck, Jim!

Twitch
12-28-10, 09:23 AM
The cable did ride up enough on the hood to hit the bottom of the windshield so that would need replacing.

No SHO windshield sticker???? My offer just dropped considerably :mad:

Castro
12-28-10, 12:01 PM
Hmm I've fixed a Cadillac that was a bit worse than this, but I did it by buying another one and swapping my old interior and drivetrain. I might be interested in the diff if it's quiet, maybe your cv's too. Emblems, wheels perhaps... how's the driveshaft? Good luck with whichever route you take.

jcollege
12-28-10, 12:57 PM
Ouch hurts to look at those pics...good luck with the decision...if you do part out, dibs on the shift knob and boot, and the CAI

branland
12-28-10, 02:09 PM
Tough decision. My experience has been that if youíve got the time and youíre not in a big hurry, you trickle money at the V1 and it you donít really notice it that much. Make it a pure race car and get rid of as much weight as possible. You can get rid of most of the interior (you can probably sell it) and all the air bags. If you concentrate on reducing the rotational inertia, lowering the center of gravity and getting the weight down around 3200, youíll have a formidable race car that will be a blast.

But I know what you mean about the having a third vehicle with no place really to put it. Iíve been debating over and over again about getting a V2, but it doesnít seem like itís in the cards. Iíve got the house to remodel and the truck has 165k on it. What I should do is, buy another truck and race my kart more. But I donít always do what makes senseÖ

So, dibs on the shocks if you part it out.

AG'S-V
12-28-10, 02:14 PM
+2 on the intake :)

Natedog
12-28-10, 04:16 PM
The numbers some of the guys are putting down with the 09's are staggering... best of luck if you go that route.. and if so, i'd be interested in the GC kit, depending on the springs included as im on FE4's.

BirdmanTamu
12-28-10, 05:06 PM
Don't do it...

Junior1
12-28-10, 06:57 PM
Keep me in mind if you sell it as a whole, I'm on the fence about going to a dedicated track car...

rand49er
12-28-10, 07:07 PM
Oh, I was thinking, and I need to add a thought. (This is a no-brainer, so I'm even embarrassed to say it.)

If you've kept any of the stock parts, you could put those back on and peddle the mods, otherwise you'd most likely have to sell it as part of the car.

For instance, if you have stock wheels, put those on the rear and sell the widened ones to me, or I'd swap you a pair of stockers plus some cash for those, the amount TBD. Yeah, I know, at least one or two guys have already called dibs on the widened wheels, but hopefully my offer is more palatable. :eyebrow:

Okay, I'll stop "thinking" now.

TroyFleming
12-28-10, 09:05 PM
I have parted out alot of V's and baught alot of complete damaged V's so if you need some prices let me know or toss me a number may take it complete as it sits off your hands. Also do you have any stock parts laying around to put back off for performance stuff. Hit me up if you need any help with exact numbers.

TroyFleming
12-28-10, 09:12 PM
Jim, darkman said it very well, IMHO.

To one extend or another, we all have time constraints, and negotiating first the highly desireable parts then onesie-twosie here and there, removing one part at a time, adequately boxing it up for shipment, and carting it off to UPS/FedEx would all consume untold hours of your time. Then, well into the coming months (years?) as the most-sought-after parts disappeared, you'd be left with a skeleton to dispose of all the while obsessing about it sitting out in the weather while many of the remaining parts became unusable.
Naw, do it in one clean kerchunk ... MUCH less fuss. Then, if it was to someone with plans to track it, you'd live to see it run again, too.

Good luck, Jim!

Won't take even close to that to sell V parts.

nickr28784
12-28-10, 09:20 PM
I'd take your air intake and your v2 shift knob

rand49er
12-28-10, 10:52 PM
Won't take even close to that to sell V parts.Agreed, but wasn't referring to V parts ... things like turn signal stalks, rear tail lense, glove compartment door, right rear passenger door, regular CTS stuff is what I meant.

thebigjimsho
12-28-10, 11:22 PM
The numbers some of the guys are putting down with the 09's are staggering... best of luck if you go that route.. and if so, i'd be interested in the GC kit, depending on the springs included as im on FE4's.
Yeah, my '09 has about 630hp at the crank. If I got the '04 running again, I'd be on the track pining for that crazy thrust. And even though it has an extra 300lbs, I think the brakes are still more potent. Eyeball popping...

thebigjimsho
12-28-10, 11:23 PM
I have parted out alot of V's and baught alot of complete damaged V's so if you need some prices let me know or toss me a number may take it complete as it sits off your hands. Also do you have any stock parts laying around to put back off for performance stuff. Hit me up if you need any help with exact numbers.
Yeah, I've got stock wheels and stock exhaust and even stock FE4s. I did keep them for when I'm old and cranky and showing the car off at shows...

TroyFleming
12-29-10, 01:03 AM
Agreed, but wasn't referring to V parts ... things like turn signal stalks, rear tail lense, glove compartment door, right rear passenger door, regular CTS stuff is what I meant.

Personally would not make sense to part car out that way which is what I was getting at. Time wise it would not benefit him financially enough to put time in. Sell performance part and replace back with stock part. Continueing until car is dumbed down. Ebay,craigslist,this forum or ls1 site you will have no problem at all selling a rebuildable CTS-V with 64K that looks like his which is a simple fix.

thebigjimsho
12-29-10, 01:23 PM
Personally would not make sense to part car out that way which is what I was getting at. Time wise it would not benefit him financially enough to put time in. Sell performance part and replace back with stock part. Continueing until car is dumbed down. Ebay,craigslist,this forum or ls1 site you will have no problem at all selling a rebuildable CTS-V with 64K that looks like his which is a simple fix.Yep, thank you! Got your email...

Rich64SS
12-29-10, 01:26 PM
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

thebigjimsho
12-29-10, 01:40 PM
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
I'm gonna drive down 146 and find you! hahahaha

MauiV
12-29-10, 02:03 PM
Thought about you last week when I was heading through Milton WV on the way to the M-I-L's, even mentuioned it to the wife. Good luck in your decision. How much for the shocks?

thebigjimsho
12-29-10, 05:51 PM
Thought about you last week when I was heading through Milton WV on the way to the M-I-L's, even mentuioned it to the wife. Good luck in your decision. How much for the shocks?
If I find myself anywhere near there, I'm gonna swing by to see the scene of the crime. Honestly, though, I haven't thought much about individual prices...

50 4Ever
12-29-10, 10:11 PM
Hi Jim, you buried in snow back there? Parting it out will become a pain, that's the only I didn't buy back my '05 after it was totalled. A friend of mine totalled his '04 on the track and he did a buy back and sold it to the organizer of the group he used to race with. You might put out feelers in some HPDE groups back there, you might get cash plus some track days.

Every once in a while I wonder if I made the right decision on getting an '07 or stepping up to the '09 after I totalled my '05. If you would have wrecked yours first I might be driving an '09... Have to keep up with Jim you know... If you ever make it out this way again I promise they will not be paving every track on the weat coast...

Good luck on your decision :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
12-30-10, 03:34 PM
So I got sick of navigating this site as a non-supporter and add to that the fact that they give you maybe 5 PMs in your inbox, I decided to re-up on my membership. So I can take PMs now...

c4ss
01-02-11, 05:04 PM
Jim,

Don't do it! Rebuild it! That V would make a great track car, gutted and all with some R-Comps. No regrets are worth a few bucks IMO. Good luck with your decision though.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
01-04-11, 10:12 PM
I know some people that'd be interested in making it wheel to wheel racecar in American Iron if you go that route. I'm also interested in the shocks, coilovers, etc...

JimmyH
01-06-11, 02:03 PM
Not that you value my counsel, but I would sell it off if I were you. You are a homeowner now and that has to come first. You can always get another track car later.

rjoffe
01-31-12, 09:46 AM
I guess he took your advice !!

JimmyH
01-31-12, 07:01 PM
did he? he didn't say anything to me.

rjoffe
01-31-12, 07:17 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p9062-2004-cadillac-cts-v28totaled-29.html

JimmyH
01-31-12, 07:21 PM
yeah, he has been talking about it recently. I thought you meant he actually sold it.

thebigjimsho
02-01-12, 04:05 PM
Hopefully soon...

rjoffe
02-01-12, 05:08 PM
Hopefully soon...

Good luck with the sale, not sure how easy it will be.

thebigjimsho
02-01-12, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I know...