: new guy with on replacing a Park Ave with a DTS ???

cvcman
12-27-10, 08:32 PM
Ok I love my Park Ave but shes got over 200 k so i will be looking soon to replace. I havent been able to find a good low milegae Park but am now thinking a 06 Caddy DTS, will I be sorry ?? How is the maintenance issues wih the DTS compared to the Park ?? Will I be able to run a DTS 200k ?

What issues can I expect to have to deal with ??

HartfordGuy
12-27-10, 08:48 PM
I know a few people with 100K plus on their DTSs and love them. I say go for it.

cvcman
12-27-10, 08:54 PM
100k is nothing I can do that on any car im talking 200k ??? Thx

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-27-10, 10:03 PM
Yes, if you maintain it correctly. It will treat you as good as you treat it. They are not trouble some for no reason usuaully, but as with any car, sometimes things just happen

brilew4211
12-27-10, 11:30 PM
I had a 2001 deville when i got it it had 119k i drove for 7 months and then it had 143k on it and you would never have known it. If you change the oil and keep up on routine maint you shouldnt ever have problems for a long time. In fact I just bought an 07 DTS 2 weeks ago with 116k on it. The car drives like new still, I expect that car to go well over 200k.

cvcman
12-28-10, 09:49 AM
I had a 2001 deville when i got it it had 119k i drove for 7 months and then it had 143k on it and you would never have known it. If you change the oil and keep up on routine maint you shouldnt ever have problems for a long time. In fact I just bought an 07 DTS 2 weeks ago with 116k on it. The car drives like new still, I expect that car to go well over 200k.

ANY car should be able to go 100/150k without too many problems, im looking at 200 plus. Now I know the regular problems with the 3800 v6 like in my Par Ave, most are problems with the upper intake and lower intake gaskets, I had mone go bad and I replaced them. Other than that they are pretty problem free. They did put an access panel in the trunk now to change the fuel pump so that made things easier.

I just wondered with the Caddy what "normal" things go wrong ?? I have heard some say there are problems inernal if you do not keep the coolant changed out etc. Again noone should be worried about putting 100k on a modern car, any of them should do it with little problems. My last 3 GM's I had close to 300k on when I sold them. Other than brakes,tires, and changing the oil every 5k with Walmart oil :) mine have run down the highway fine.

My Park did have rotted fuel lines at 180k which I replaced with fuel injection hoses and double clamps, fine now and the car still gets about 28/29 mpg on the highway.

With the Caddy im more interested to see if the really start the nickle dime problem after 150k or if they seem fine, thx

ltdltc
12-28-10, 11:34 AM
If reliability and longevity is a primary concern I'd sway you towards a 3800/3900 powered 2006+ Lucerne. It is closely related to DTS is many ways and most options that were on DTS's are on Lucernes.

As far as things to watch out for on 2006 DTS's from my experience are as follows:

- Tire vibrations are still an issue much like the 2000-2005 Devilles had.

- Brake vibrations problems on the rears (proper bedding is important, I had a few issues with the rears).

- HID Headlights will flicker needing bulb replacement (front bumper needs to come off or go though the back by way of removing the splash guards. The Lucerne headlamp replacement procedure is the same however they use halogens).

- The Northstar is still prone to oil leaks (half case and valve covers, my rear valve cover is currently leaking again after having it fixed under warranty).

- Heated/Cooled seats are more complicated then the former wire element seat heaters and few here have posted issues or poor performance with them (I had to have mine fixed under warranty).

I'm sitting at 108k it hasn't been to bad.

While I was under CPO I did have in the shop a few times to fix little issues. Most major thing was throttle body dying after having a TB cleaning. The dealership fixed it after 2 visits, they messed up fixing it twice. And when I had the car for only a month the car the catalytic converter had to be replaced.

cvcman
12-28-10, 03:26 PM
If reliability and longevity is a primary concern I'd sway you towards a 3800/3900 powered 2006+ Lucerne. It is closely related to DTS is many ways and most options that were on DTS's are on Lucernes.

As far as things to watch out for on 2006 DTS's from my experience are as follows:

- Tire vibrations are still an issue much like the 2000-2005 Devilles had.

- Brake vibrations problems on the rears (proper bedding is important, I had a few issues with the rears).

- HID Headlights will flicker needing bulb replacement (front bumper needs to come off or go though the back by way of removing the splash guards. The Lucerne headlamp replacement procedure is the same however they use halogens).

- The Northstar is still prone to oil leaks (half case and valve covers, my rear valve cover is currently leaking again after having it fixed under warranty).

- Heated/Cooled seats are more complicated then the former wire element seat heaters and few here have posted issues or poor performance with them (I had to have mine fixed under warranty).

I'm sitting at 108k it hasn't been to bad.

While I was under CPO I did have in the shop a few times to fix little issues. Most major thing was throttle body dying after having a TB cleaning. The dealership fixed it after 2 visits, they messed up fixing it twice. And when I had the car for only a month the car the catalytic converter had to be replaced.

I amy take another look at the Lucerne I wasnt real crazy about it the first look. Are the DTS seats heated some way other than a wire element heat ??

I wish GM would get smart and make the Park Ave again, right size,right ride, right motor !!

ltdltc
12-28-10, 03:37 PM
They are ventilated with warm or cool air when turned on.

jimsbox
12-28-10, 03:41 PM
I have had 3 cadillacs, 2 of which were Northstars. All 3 went at least 220k before any trouble with the engine or trans except for minor oil leaks on the 89 Sedan Deville. I had over 245k on my 95 STS which I gave to a friend. It had started putting out spurts of white smoke when you accelerate/decelerate. My 00 DHS went 280k before blowing a head gasket, never had any need to open it up. The trans still was fine except for a bad TCC solenoid. I am happy enough with it that I just put in a low mileage engine and trans for another 150 or 200k of reliable driving. The body still looks great as does the interior except for some wear (no holes) in the driver's seat leather. There have been other repairs such as window lift mechanisms, brakes, shocks, fuel pump, blower mode control door, vehicle speed sensor, etc. All of these are done at home. I think that Cads are as good (better than most) and reliable as any brand I have ever had, Chryslers, Fords, GMs, Toyotas, Hondas, Land Rovers, MGs, Nissans and probably a few others that I have forgotten about.

cvcman
12-28-10, 05:03 PM
Humm explain how the seats work, is there a seperate electric heater/cooler that is under each seat or does it use heat and cold from the heater of the car ???? This seems like a stupid system no ??

Ive had some vibration problems with my Park and Lesabres too but nothing real big. I run Goodyear comfort tread tires and it rides real nice !!

I like the ride of the lincoln town car but not real crazy about rear wheel drive

Superjim
12-28-10, 07:25 PM
Humm explain how the seats work, is there a seperate electric heater/cooler that is under each seat or does it use heat and cold from the heater of the car ???? This seems like a stupid system no ??

Ive had some vibration problems with my Park and Lesabres too but nothing real big. I run Goodyear comfort tread tires and it rides real nice !!

I like the ride of the lincoln town car but not real crazy about rear wheel drive

There is a separate heater and cooler in each seat.

Jim

cvcman
12-28-10, 07:40 PM
again, is it an electric unit or air from the heater or what ?????

Lord Cadillac
12-28-10, 10:08 PM

Exactly why Cadillac needs one full-size vehicle with front wheel drive.. Not everybody wants a rear wheel drive vehicle..

Now for my personal opinion on the original topic... If you're looking for a car that's going to be reliable past 200,000 miles, I don't think you should be looking at a Cadillac. I don't think you should be looking at ANY "luxury" vehicle. They're all going to be problematic over 200+ thousand miles - and expensive to repair after warranty. Even a Lexus. You're either going to buy a car with the technology level of an old Buick Park Avenue - or a new car with very few luxury amenities to break.

cvcman
12-28-10, 10:54 PM
Well my Park Ave has many of the features of a DTS, I have heated seats, mositure sense wipers, power sun roof, 12 speaker sound system, lots of goodies. The Town Car has them too and i see them with on ebay with 300k !

The only draw back is the rear drive... The Lucerne looks kinda cheesy inside to me...

Superjim
12-29-10, 01:15 AM
again, is it an electric unit or air from the heater or what ?????

It is electric cooling and electric heating.
To the best of my knowledge...it uses a Peltier system.
When current flows one way...it gets hot...reverse the current flow..it gets cold.
I think there are also two fans in each seat...one for the bottom and one for the back.
I like the way it works.
I have almost 100,000 on my '06 and have had -0- drive train issues.
There were a couple of minor glitches when I first bought it new...but they were promptly taken care of under warranty.
I expect to put another 50,000 on it and then get me another new one.

Texas Jim

ltdltc
12-29-10, 11:44 PM
I think the Lucernes interior is a little more styled to go with the exterior styling. I like it after having been in one at a auto show.

http://b.imagehost.org/0644/2006_Lucerne_interior.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0644/2006_Lucerne_interior)

http://b.imagehost.org/0102/2006_DTS_interior.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0102/2006_DTS_interior)

Kenwood
12-30-10, 01:34 AM
That's an excellent comparison, ltdtlc. Thanks for providing that. Add me to the list of those who like the looks of the Lucerne, especially in black. I also like the Buick door panels and round gauge cutouts.

cvcman
12-30-10, 07:19 PM
I like the looks too and reviews seem good for the Luvcerne, too bad GM is doing away with this car too !!:thepan:

z06bigbird
01-03-11, 01:41 AM
LeSabre is gone.
Park Ave is gone.
Lucerne is reportedly going within a few years.
Someone recommended that you wait for a re-introduction of the LeSabre. May be some truth to this as GM brought the Malibu back after killing it 50 years ago. LOL. Just don't hold your breath.

Buick and Olds was America's best kept secret. They do go for over 200k miles. Nothing really to break on those cars (except as noted).

Newer vehicles (as noted) have much more technology, which is subject to failure. Best advice is to locate a LeSabre. I just bought an 03 with 14k miles on it. Over the past 5 or 6 years, I have bought about 5 of these with less than 10k miles on them. When they get about 20k miles on them, I sell them and buy another. (I drive 4k miles per year.) Oil changes at 3,000 miles keeps me going strong.

Not sure what I will do after I have exhausted all of the low mileage LeSabres.

SHOWGIRL
01-03-11, 08:05 AM
While I was under CPO I did have in the shop a few times to fix little issues. Most major thing was throttle body dying after having a TB cleaning. The dealership fixed it after 2 visits, they messed up fixing it twice. And when I had the car for only a month the car the catalytic converter had to be replaced.[/QUOTE]
------------------------
Hello - i'm not contributing to this solution but after reading the above portion of your post i see you have a ''CPO' on your car.
I i may ask: We just purchased a used DTS from a dealer that had remaining original new-car warrenty in place allowing the dealer to 'certify' it for us but we were told we do not get actual paperwork in the form of a 'policy' when a CPO is issued on a car. (i think you do on an 'extended warranty when purchasing a new car)
All we have as proof that it exists is the 'GM Global''History of the car that was sent to us by Caddy/G.M. which included original ownership/ history of the car & now includes our name, date of purchase of the CPO/ exp. of the CPO.
The 'name of the CPO is ''Premium Brands CPO' - we were told 'that' is one- in- the -same as the Caddy CPO - they just changed 'names' ...
So my question is: Did you get separate paperwork in the way of a 'policy' titled CPO? Or is your CPO handled the same as ours (no formal policy) and 'what' is the 'name' of your CPO ? Thanks so much in advance for any help !! Showgirl

ltdltc
01-03-11, 03:16 PM
Did you get separate paperwork in the way of a 'policy' titled CPO? Or is your CPO handled the same as ours (no formal policy) and 'what' is the 'name' of your CPO ? Thanks so much in advance for any help !! Showgirl

No separate paperwork. It was all taken care of at the dealership.

http://www.cadillac.com/cpo-benefits/

^ Thats what I had.

SHOWGIRL
01-03-11, 09:03 PM
No separate paperwork. It was all taken care of at the dealership.

http://www.cadillac.com/cpo-benefits/

^ Thats what I had.
-------------------------------------
We also didn't get paperwork ...but not sure what you mean by ''all taken care of at the dealership''...you mean they stated you are 'in the computer' and if you bring car for service the CPO will show under your name that way? thanks

Superjim
01-03-11, 11:05 PM
-------------------------------------
We also didn't get paperwork ...but not sure what you mean by ''all taken care of at the dealership''...you mean they stated you are 'in the computer' and if you bring car for service the CPO will show under your name that way? thanks

As I mentioned earlier...in another thread...

If you call the service dept with your VIN or stop by your local dealer...they will be more than happy to look you up in the service computer and tell you or give you a printout of what it shows.

If you have CPO..it is in the service computer.
Even if you have GMPP...it is in the computer.
I know...my last three..including this one have all had extended warranties.

All it takes to find out..is one quick phone call to the Cadillac service dept and have your VIN handy so that they can look it up.

Texas Jim

SHOWGIRL
01-04-11, 08:46 AM
jIM - i'm so sorry !! now i remember you suggesting just that (stop by or call service mgr !! ) i've been relying on the salesman and/or the finance man at the dealership. They're all so nice about it and always promise to do just what you said (without mentioning they'd have the svs. mgr do this) - wonder why they didn't suggest what you did - that i contact the S.M. directly - LOL thanks for the 'reminder' ... Happy New Year ! showgirl

Lord Cadillac
01-04-11, 12:01 PM
The Lincoln Town Car is very luxurious but not very technologically advanced.. They do last forever - which is why limousine companies use them almost exclusively.

Well my Park Ave has many of the features of a DTS, I have heated seats, mositure sense wipers, power sun roof, 12 speaker sound system, lots of goodies. The Town Car has them too and i see them with on ebay with 300k !

The only draw back is the rear drive... The Lucerne looks kinda cheesy inside to me...