: Identifying which lifter is making noise

Locky
09-23-04, 06:48 PM
Hi all.... ok well I'm slowly repairing my 425... next on the list is a really noisy lifter, even when warm. Is there any way of telling exactly which lifter is making the noise? I know it's coming from the right bank.

JTraik
09-23-04, 08:04 PM
Replace them all.

bryan1970
09-25-04, 11:05 AM
yeah the real solution is to replace all the lifters and cam but just incase you are corious you can put a screw driver on the intake runners for each cyl and put your ear on the other end of the crew driver and you can atleat narrow it down to which cyl has the noisy lifters. by the way my 425 has the same problem but it still runs like a champ and the noise seems to geet a little better as the engine warms up. let me know how hard it is if you do change the cam and lifters.

bryan1970
09-25-04, 04:38 PM
you can put a screwdriver on each intake runner and put your ear on the hanle end of the screw driver and that can help narrow it douwn to a certian cyl for which lifter is making noise. but ti fix the problem you should replace all the lifters and camshaft. which can be somewhat of an involved job especially if the engine is still in the car. Because you have limited room and would more than likely have to take the rad. out.

bryan1970
09-25-04, 04:41 PM
sorry about the double post but i came back a while later to check the forim and my fisrt post didn't show up on the screen for some reason. my computer probablly isn't helping the situation. :bonkers:

1955caddy
06-14-05, 03:32 PM
i just changed all the lifters and cam in my 425. and you do have to take the radiator and move the condenser. its not that bad of a job ,just remember were everything goes.:banghead: