: Battery, power steering, over heating..

mikeecharles
12-27-10, 08:35 AM
Last night I drove my 98 Catea, everything was fine, all systems working normal. I stopped at my in laws for about 10-15 minutes. When I left, I tried to start the car; it did not want to start. It cranked over for about 3 seconds, and finally started. However, the battery light stayed lit on the dash board, the power steering was gone, and after I started driving away the temp gauge started getting hot. The temp then went into the red zone and that high temp idiot light came on.
Can a battery issue cause the power steering and high temp problems?
I had the same issue this morning. I was able to get the car started and get to work, barely!! All the same issues, battery almost dead, power steering is gone, car gets very hot, really quick. (my drive is less than 5 miles) It was in the low 30's outside and very windy.
Just before getting to work most of the idiot lights lit up, then the gauges all went out registering zeros. (tach, speed, battery, oil, etc.)
Could this be just a battery or alternator issue, or do I have more $$$ problems? Thanks for any help

elvin315
12-27-10, 02:01 PM
You have a broken serpentine belt. Do not attempt to drive the car like that. Even with cold outdoor temps you will overheat the engine and warp the cylinder heads.

mikeecharles
12-27-10, 03:56 PM
elvin 315,

Thank you for your response.
I had not had a chance to look under the hood till now. I should have looked before posting. You were right, it is the serpentine belt. The main reason I first doubted that as being the cause was I just replaced the belt less than 6 weeks ago. However, I did not replace the idler pulley. It froze up and broke causing the belt to shred.
Thanks again for your reply.