: starter sounds like it's trying, not spinning engine, 2nd try always works

jrw123
12-27-10, 01:34 AM
i have a 72 sedan deville and ever since I bought it 8 months ago, on the first start try, it sounds like you're trying to start an engine that's in gear. in other words, it tries to turn over, you can tell it's pushing, but sounds like it's catching on something and unable to turn the engine at all.
sometimes after letting off the starter there's a whirring sound. the 2nd start attempt almost always works fine. sounds like it's not engaging correctly or catching. seems like it's gotten worse lately in terms of sometimes now it takes 3 tries before it starts fine. the weather has gotten colder but this happened even when it was 95 degrees out.

deVille33
12-27-10, 09:41 AM
Without being there, it sounds as if the drive isn't engaging properly with the flexplate ring gear. It could be that your bendix gear has lost it's taper or is frozen. It's aslo possible your rear end plate housing has worn out the bushing. One of my starters wore through the bushing and into the housing itself. You will have to drop the starter and make an inspection.

jrw123
12-31-10, 04:05 PM
thanks for the advice. when my knee gets better i'll drop it and post back with what I find...