: $1700 for the driver side light flickering issue?

caddyo6
12-26-10, 12:16 PM
I just got a call from my wife telling me that the dealership is charging $1700 to fix the driver side light flickering on and off issue. I had the passenger side headlight assy replace in 2008 but it was under warranty then. Is this the going rate for the headlight flickering issue?

HartfordGuy
12-26-10, 05:37 PM
You may want to ask for an itemized quote. Perhaps she agreed to have other things done?

caddyo6
12-26-10, 07:52 PM
I asked her to get s print out of everything. She said she will scan and email it to me. I still can't believe it's that much for a headlight assy. I'm thinking that's for the headlight harness.

ffrog
12-26-10, 08:49 PM
That seems steep. My passenger side was replaced (entire unit) under warranty and the service writer told me it would have cost me $800.

Rusty058
12-26-10, 11:02 PM
I paid exactly $1142 but was reimbursed because it was covered under GMPP extended warranty so $1700 seems awful high

RippyPartsDept
12-26-10, 11:25 PM
if you get a part number i can get you a considerable discount on that part and save you some $$

caddyo6
12-27-10, 01:40 PM
The part number is 10391611, Headlight Ballast. Now the part is $311 but, you can't tell me it's that much work in replacing a headlight to cause the labor price to become that much higher. I work on Aircraft as a mechanic and that's just seems really crazy. BUT! This is a Cadillac lol

RippyPartsDept
12-27-10, 02:10 PM
that part number is for the ballast (if i recall correctly ... i am on vacation so i'm not at my work pc to check) but that does sound like a lot of labor ... maybe get a second opinion/quote from another local GM dealership or the next nearest cadillac dealer

and i could get you a discount on that part too (at least $50 and probably more) ... i'll be back to work on thursday (if you can wait)

caddyo6
12-27-10, 11:55 PM
Ok and thank you. I can wait. I'm in Korea right now and she is going to park the DTS until I get home in Feb.

Andy1
12-28-10, 12:08 AM
Andy1 in Calgary. I have had 4 flickering lights on my 06 DTS II. Its usually the HID bulb. When the bulb starts to fail the ignitor trys to light it so it comes on for a time then the ignitor overheats and shuts down. Then it tries again. etc etc hence the flickering on off.
Bulbs (# D1S) are anywhere from $75 to $125 each and about 1.5 hours labour.
You may need a ballast at about $320.
I don't think you need a plastic lamp assembly unless its damaged.
Hope that helps

caddyo6
12-28-10, 11:46 AM
Andy1 thank you for the info. I'm not sure if it's the lights going off and coming back on by themselves or they are staying off until she cuts the light switch off and back on. The wife is telling me that they will go out and stay out until she cuts the light switch off and back on. They stay on for about 4mins and then they go out again completely.

Andy1
12-29-10, 11:49 AM
When your wife turns them off and on again she is overheating the ballast/ignitor by forcing it to re-light the bulb. I still think its the bulb, and now perhaps the ballast. I would say a Caddy dealer that knows what they are doing will be about $350 total for bulb change. Add another $300 for ballast if needed.

Just took mine in to the dealer at 7:30 this AM...parking sensors front and rear, Htd steering wheel and both heated/cooled seats out, and now GM insists that heated washer fluid device must be removed as it causes fires !
No replacement, which would be the 'right' thing to do but $100 back. Wow.

Good luck with your light

Andy1

928S
12-29-10, 02:57 PM
...GM insists that heated washer fluid device must be removed as it causes fires !
No replacement, which would be the 'right' thing to do but $100 back. Wow.

Plug-n-play aftermarket heated washer fluid replacement unit ($67.95 plus S&H) is here: http://www.alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html.

Yellowelephant
12-30-10, 09:31 PM
I have a flickering problem as well. Contacted my Cadillac Dealer and he advised me it will be the lamp that is failing as long as it still comes back on. If it doesn't come back on then the ballast needs replacing. The dealership wants $325. per lamp(bulb) D1S. Labor will be $700 as the bumper/Grill has to be partly removed as well as the wheel liner to get at the light assembly before the light assembly can be accessed to replace the lamp.

BlackRavenDTS
12-31-10, 08:00 AM
Knock on Wood...Trim...

My 06 DTS is doing the same thing. For 3 weeks now they have not flickered on me thankfully.

I took it to a Caddy Dealer and they told me they dont know whats wrong and never heard of such a issue.

Unless i want to pay out the ass they dont just wanna throw parts at it.

I bought mine used from a Used car lot.

I had my heated windshield option removed under recall, but never got $100 bucks for it... Guess cause im not the original owner i suppose.

I dont know what to do about this flickering light issue. :( :crybaby:

Mark58
12-31-10, 10:57 AM
Knock on Wood...Trim...

My 06 DTS is doing the same thing. For 3 weeks now they have not flickered on me thankfully.

I took it to a Caddy Dealer and they told me they dont know whats wrong and never heard of such a issue.

I had my heated windshield option removed under recall, but never got $100 bucks for it... Guess cause im not the original owner i suppose.

HMMM,,,I had my windshield option disconnected and I am not the original owner.Caddy dealer game me a $100.00 check on the spot!

Yellowelephant
12-31-10, 11:04 AM
Knock on Wood...Trim...

Look up Recall Bulletin # 10153. Any owner of a new or used vehicle is entitled to the 100/105 Canadian for this removal. Go back to your dealer and ask for the money.

Your GM dealer/retailer will permanently disable and remove the
heated washer fluid system. In addition, because the heated
washer feature will be disabled, the dealer will provide a customer
satisfaction payment of $100 to the customer. This service will be
performed for you at no charge.

As for the flickering lights I was able to purchase good quality bulbs on the Internet for a fraction of the cost at the dealership. I had a body-shop friend help me with the instillation. Once you do it once it is about an hours job.

RippyPartsDept
12-31-10, 03:58 PM
as promised above in my earlier post I checked on the exact discount so I've looked up the ballast and the bulb

Ballast #10391161 $235
Bulb #25735604 $187

I've got them in stock also

as for diagnosis of any specific issue any of you may have I'm really not going to be much help - i would trust your local dealer's diagnosis... they should stand behind it at least if you have them install (even if you don't purchase the parts from them)

caddyo6
01-01-11, 10:03 AM
To YellowElephant I will try to see if the lights come on. She is going to crank it tomorrow and see. If they come on then cool. She did say the small center light is out totally on the driver's side. I'm hoping it's just the bulbs. I'm going to try and get to the headlight assy myself when I get home in Feb.

Chris, thanks for the prices too. I'm going call you next week to see about getting them shipped to her. You are way lower than the dealership.