: Wonders if I could run drano thru my heater core to unclog? Lol

miwise
12-25-10, 10:58 PM
Not really, but is there anything that'll unclog a heater core? Any method that doesn't require removal and replacement? It seems I have to take the whole dash out to replace.

Stingroo
12-25-10, 11:21 PM
Flush it with a garden hose :)

drewsdeville
12-26-10, 02:51 AM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but years ago when I first starting driving and repairing my own vehicles, I successfully unclogged a 100% plugged up heater core with some boiling water, a jug of Jungle Jake, an air compressor, and some patience...

If course, you run the risk of damaging the heater core, especially if you go nuts with the compressed air. But since it's not useful in it's current state anyway, you don't have much to lose.

Stingroo
12-26-10, 07:25 AM
There's a guy on the wagon board that SWEARS by the Drano method too... but I don't know, if it were me, I would think that in the event the core started to leak, I would much rather have water on my floorboards than Drano. :noidea:

Submariner409
12-26-10, 09:50 AM
Flush it with a garden hose :)

Yup ^^^^. A little creative work with the hose, a couple of fittings, hoses, and clamps and you can carefully back flush a heater core in 10 minutes.

Take a capful of Drano and put it in a discarded aluminum pan to see if there's any reaction. The stuff works in an older brass/copper radiator/core, but not sure about aluminum.......

mhamilton
12-26-10, 10:04 AM
There's something less caustic that Mercedes (used to) recommend when flushing the cooling system... citric acid I think? If regular water won't do it, I'd try that.

miwise
12-26-10, 10:38 AM
Very good suggestions. All of them. I'll give it a try

Submariner409
12-26-10, 11:55 AM
There's something less caustic that Mercedes (used to) recommend when flushing the cooling system... citric acid I think? If regular water won't do it, I'd try that.

Most radiator flushes contained oxalic acid.

miwise
12-26-10, 01:47 PM
Back flushed core with garden hose. Was nasty. Brown. Works now.

Ranger
12-26-10, 02:10 PM
Cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs residue.

mhamilton
12-26-10, 06:39 PM

That's great news, I'm sure you're glad not to be pulling that dash :)

I don't recall your earlier post, was your problem a low-heat or no-heat issue?

miwise
12-26-10, 07:02 PM
It was low to no heat. And I'm quite happy with result. Bought 3/4" hose repair and quick connector and attached hose to downstream water heater hose. Disconnected upstream and bingo. System produces good heat now. :-)

miwise
12-26-10, 07:03 PM
I wonder if a dirt dauber may have built a nest in there

miwise
12-26-10, 07:04 PM
While I had engine out

ThumperPup
12-26-10, 08:08 PM
Cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs residue.

yup thats what it is i remmebr when david took me back in the shop to show me all the old parts that he had to repalce and all the junk he got out of the cooling system from the engine job
he showed me the sink he still hadnt cleaned it out i mean the sink but there was so much copper brown gunk in there from all the stop leak crap i was using liquid copper and all that junk
he said to keep an eye on it he was worried that he didnt get it all out and wants me to keep eye on the heat make sure it doenst start to get cold when it shoudl be warm
i think i probalby could use a new heater core because he did a back flush like 3 of them on it to get what he did out but said anyting els in there he cant get out
so im just hoping its save to drive and all

mhamilton
12-27-10, 10:13 AM
I wonder if a dirt dauber may have built a nest in there

Oh you get those down there too? I have no idea if they would build a nest with the coolant residue there, but those stupid bugs are a PIA. I had an engine out once, and left the master cylinder vacuum hose hanging open. The next day they had built a next in the end of it :mad:

Probably the coolant tabs, though. Those were a big problem on the late B body Impala SS/Caprice heaters. Would end up with very mild heat output, had to flush out lots of brown gunk.

Stingroo
12-27-10, 01:48 PM
Yep. The B-body heater core flush is borderline religious. :lol:

miwise
12-27-10, 08:35 PM
I see that now. Lol

stoveguyy
12-28-10, 12:43 PM
the blower fan on my 79 camaro died years ago. was buried down by the firewall/inner fender. had to take out battery, inner fender liner and a bunch of stuff to reach the damn thing. than 6 months later the heater core started to leak and i had to take out the same stuff again for that.

miwise
12-29-10, 07:29 PM
That Sux. Yeah if I have to remove the dash imma just replace it. Lol