: Gear Ratios

twv5150
12-25-10, 10:34 AM
Anyone know offhand what the lowest (highest numerically) gear ratio that will fit a 95 FWB? My car has the tow package if that makes any differance in the size of the 3rd member? BTW, my favorite past-time is burning gas, burning rubber, and burning money(a definte requirement for the 1st two)
Thanks for any and all info,
Merry Christmas to all,
TV

jayoldschool
12-25-10, 11:39 AM
3.08, 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, and lower will all fit fine. You have a 30 spline, 8.5", 3 series carrier.

twv5150
12-25-10, 12:58 PM
Thanks Jay, I'm thinking 3:42 if not a 3:73... Worked great in a swap done on a 82 Vette back in the early 90's
with the then new 4 speed Auto-overdrive just offered by GM, my Vette came with like a 2:76 or 2:9? something close to that & wasn't worth a plug nickle geared that way and when the 3:73 swap was done, it actually felt like a Vette AND I increased my mpg from around 16-17 to 19-20 on the highway cause it got my Rpms up to about 2050 at hwy speeds compared to the stock which kept it around 1650 or so. At 2050 and above I was in the powerband of the small block and not "lugging or dogging" the motor at that RPM. It REALLY became a completely differant car and I was very happy with the change (I always gave it a big hug before covering it up in the garage after a ride). BTW, I bleed Mobil One when cut!!!!

jayoldschool
12-25-10, 01:48 PM
What ratio do you have now? Look at your SPID sticker on the bottom of the trunk lid. Post the code that starts with G.

The 93 Cadillac tow pack came with 3.73s, so that is a decent choice. I use 4.10s in my SS, but that is because I swapped in a T56.

twv5150
12-25-10, 02:58 PM
I'm waiting for the car to be delivered from LA about Wed.
Was delayed because of all the flooding last week.
IF it indeed has 3:73 because of the tow pac, I'll be a happy camper with that.
Thanks again for the great info, now if I can get some sleep for the next
few days until Wed. (Like waiting for Xmas morning all over again!!!)

jayoldschool
12-25-10, 08:20 PM
If it is a 95, it doesn't have 3.73s. 2.93s ring a bell, but someone else can confirm. If you have the VIN already, look in the FAQs, and click on the link that is about "how rare is my car and what options does it have?" You can enter the VIN, and it will tell you the day your car was made, and every option and standard feature. Including the rear end ratio. BTW, don't worry, 2.93s still use the 3 series carrier needed for a gear swap. Cars didn't get a 2 series carrier unless they got 2.56s or higher.

Stingroo
12-25-10, 08:32 PM
I thought LT1 tow pack Fleetwoods had 3.42's?

twv5150
12-25-10, 11:14 PM
This site ROCKS!!!!!
Found the link in the FAQ and entered my VIN and low and behold, I now know it has a 3:42.
Don't even have the car yet and I know every detail I could ever want or need to know.
Thanks to all for your info and help!
TV

Stingroo
12-25-10, 11:16 PM
Called it.

Got any photos of the car? :) Details man! Color? Mileage? How about editing your profile a bit with your general location and what not, and maybe posting an intro thread in the lounge.

Welcome to the forums. This place is great - I don't even own a Cadillac anymore and they can't get rid of me. :lol:

twv5150
12-25-10, 11:26 PM
Called it.

Got any photos of the car? :) Details man! Color? Mileage? How about editing your profile a bit with your general location and what not, and maybe posting an intro thread in the lounge.

Welcome to the forums. This place is great - I don't even own a Cadillac anymore and they can't get rid of me. :lol:

Scroll down to the 7th thread..there it is...New to me 95 Fleetwood

NEPA_Z
12-26-10, 11:38 AM
Congratulations from snowy Pennsylvania; beautiful car! My 94 came with the 2.56s; this year I swapped them for 3.42s and a posi and am very happy with the improvement. Dropped over .6 in the quarter on skinny whitewalls; will be even better with some tire.

Don't forget delivery pictures - those of us in the salt belt with everything put away for the winter need to live vicariously through your exploits. :D

Merry Christmas

twv5150
12-27-10, 01:43 AM
Now, if I can just get some sleep before Wed...
At least the weather should be dry for the trip East.
I was very happy when I found out it had the 3:42 and NOT the hwy gearing.
Was defintely going to put 3:73s in, but now I think I'll concentrate on
maybe intercooled-turbo or paxton supercharger.
I've already ordered a K&N fresh air intake, a top of the line $400 cover,
and am currently getting a stereo together for it when it gets here.
This Fleetwood won't know what happened to it when I get it here.
The PO was 88 when he passed and the car has prolly never been over
60 mph if even that high!!! I'll prolly rub on it so much "Jennie" will pop-out of the trunk...LOL
After what I gave up to get this car, I'm hoping to
turn into something that I will cherish as much as my GBNF Vette....

96brougham13
12-30-10, 05:28 PM
i like the intercooled turbo idea. make sure you give all of us plenty of pictures

twv5150
12-31-10, 12:48 AM
Check-out the "new to me 95 Fleetwood" post for more pics...

96brougham13
12-31-10, 02:03 AM
looks clean man. wish i had some white walls like that