: An idea

skippydts
12-25-10, 01:53 AM
Most Cadillacs have Tire Pressure Sensors, and most have Load Level shocks in the back.
My idea would incorporate both. :bulb:To have self leveling psi in the tires. When the sensor goes below your selected psi level, the inflator motor kicks in and levels the psi to the correct level in your tires. No need to manually put air in tires....
Sounds crazy, but so did rain-sensing wipers, or remote starters at one point also....right?

Stingroo
12-25-10, 02:14 AM
How would you link an air line to the rotating tire without it tangling though?

Jesda
12-25-10, 02:15 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/self-inflating-tire.htm

iowasevillests
12-25-10, 09:20 AM
How would you link an air line to the rotating tire without it tangling though?

Semi's and Hummer's both have it, they generally have a rotary coupling through the center of the axle then short whips going to the valve stems from that.

Stingroo
12-25-10, 10:04 AM
That's cool as hell. I never knew that. Makes sense on tractor trailers for sure. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be sitting at an air pump to inflate all of those tires. :lol:

drewsdeville
12-25-10, 03:06 PM
You'd need one hell of a compressor to make the system work. The electric load leveling compressors on regular passenger vehicles are really low volume. They'd NEVER be able to fill a tire. A semi's air compressor is gear driven off the engine, can provide 150psi+ and enough volume to fill at least 2 reserve tanks on the tractor and another on the trailer within a minute or two.

GizmoQ
12-26-10, 10:41 PM
You'd need one hell of a compressor to make the system work. The electric load leveling compressors on regular passenger vehicles are really low volume. They'd NEVER be able to fill a tire. A semi's air compressor is gear driven off the engine, can provide 150psi+ and enough volume to fill at least 2 reserve tanks on the tractor and another on the trailer within a minute or two.

The compressor and tank for my air horns keeps 200psi at the ready, so what the next step?

billc83
12-26-10, 11:43 PM
Provided you don't have an air leak, you really wouldn't need too big of a compressor.

All you'd need is to tap into the air tank and run another line (or use a T, probably more appropriate). Install a pressure regulator and set it at your desired tire pressure, and have a block that separates to four air lines (one for each tire). The real trouble would be connecting the air lines to the tire valve stems.

drewsdeville
12-27-10, 12:11 AM
The compressor and tank for my air horns keeps 200psi at the ready, so what the next step?

Don't forget that pressure is inversely proportional to volume. You don't need much of a pump to provide the small volume that air horns need, even at the high pressure.

Check the ratings on your pump. It may be rated for 200psi but probably only 1CFM flow or less. For safety's sake, you'd really want a pump that would be capable of maintaining tank pressure during a worst-case-scenario tire leak.