: Please Help... Smoke from drivers side...

jason428sc
12-24-10, 02:42 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a 2000 Catera and I am getting smoke from the driver side exhaust manifold after the engine warms up. I thought it was the valve cover gasket leaking onto manifold but I have replaced it and the o-rings now twice, and no change. I can't see any signs of a leak. Is there anything else I need to be looking for?:hmm:

Also when it's running I have noticed it steams alot from the exhaust, but there is no water in the oil, and no oil in the water. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

investor74
12-25-10, 12:07 AM
I;ve have exactly the same thing on my '97 for a few years now. I get the smoke and a smell which enters the passenger compartment when the engine warms up a bit. Worse if the car had been sitting for a while, allowing the oil to accumulate on the exhaust. Smoke stops after the accumulated oil burns off. I always thought it was the driver's side valve cover gasket as well. I never had mine replaced because I'm not sure I want to put too much money into it at this point. I definitely have an oil leak. Seems like it might be something else according to your experience.

waco-brian
12-26-10, 10:15 AM
crankcase breather needs to be cleaned when you replace valve covers

jason428sc
12-26-10, 11:37 AM
Where is the crankcase breather and would that cause the smoke from the manifold?

dirtymonster
01-01-11, 10:59 AM
The Crankcase breather is the black strip on top of your plentum with the the 4 hoses on the rear side. and yes, if your breater is jacked, you will have a positive pressure in you crank and blow out your gaskets. Take off the breather and clean out with carb cleaner. hope this helps....

elvin315
01-01-11, 12:11 PM
If you had read the current threads you'd already have your answer. Yes, you do have a clogged breather box but it's not the black plastic strip on the plenum. That's part of the breather system but the real box in behind the engine, close to the firewall. See my replies in the linked thread for details.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/216681-quick-help-need-your-advice.html

BENJAMINBS
01-23-11, 03:41 PM
Change the heater valve

elvin315
01-23-11, 03:55 PM
Change the heater valve

No way. He said the smoke (not steam/coolant) was on the driver's side. The HBV is in the passenger side.