: seafoam (too much?)

ceehow
12-24-10, 10:40 AM
i recently used seafoam in my catera on a long road trip (pa to nc). i put the whole pint can in the gas tank about halfway to charlotte when i got gas but when i got off the highway i could tell the engine was running rough and the check engine light was now on. could it be that i just used too much? or could it have messed up the spark plugs? :helpless:

AHazzardToAll
12-24-10, 11:38 PM
Change your fuel filter. ;)

CateraMV6
12-26-10, 08:05 AM
I read those cause more harm then good...

Never used one myself, just used synthetic oil every run...

Car drives great, oil is pitch black by 500mi... and blacker then black by mile 6000.... ohh and i need to add a quart at around 4500mark... so idk call my engine old or whatever, i think sea foam may worsen my oil blow by....

AHazzardToAll
12-27-10, 01:06 AM
I read those cause more harm then good...

Never used one myself, just used synthetic oil every run...

Car drives great, oil is pitch black by 500mi... and blacker then black by mile 6000.... ohh and i need to add a quart at around 4500mark... so idk call my engine old or whatever, i think sea foam may worsen my oil blow by....

Sea foam is a fuel treatment, Never heard of anyone having issues with it. But I never use any fuel additives myself. Just 93oct in my tank ;)

CateraMV6
12-27-10, 03:27 AM
I have heard the seafoam is either used in the fuel or in the intake manifold through a vacuum line.. n then a plume of smoke out of the exhaust...

After that some negative side effects... IDK if i will ever bother with that stuff...

ceehow
12-29-10, 03:34 PM
well......i found out what is was......its wasnt the seafoam (i used it as a fuel system cleaner, not in the intake or engine oil like i've read other people doing)......it was cylinder #1 misfiring. i got autozone to check the code for me. i took it to percision auto tune and they told me my ignition coil pack went. so i need that plus the wires plus a tune up which would have come out to be $1250+. i just drove back from nc to pa with the cylinder misfiring.

Submariner409
12-29-10, 04:31 PM
oooppps.....

AHazzardToAll
12-29-10, 11:09 PM
I have heard the seafoam is either used in the fuel or in the intake manifold through a vacuum line.. n then a plume of smoke out of the exhaust...

After that some negative side effects... IDK if i will ever bother with that stuff...

hmmmm, that sounds gross. =/

well......i found out what is was......its wasnt the seafoam (i used it as a fuel system cleaner, not in the intake or engine oil like i've read other people doing)......it was cylinder #1 misfiring. i got autozone to check the code for me. i took it to percision auto tune and they told me my ignition coil pack went. so i need that plus the wires plus a tune up which would have come out to be $1250+. i just drove back from nc to pa with the cylinder misfiring.

Do it urself, skip the wires n just do the coil pack 1st, that usually fixes it, shouldn't break the bank with just parts.

CateraMV6
12-30-10, 10:38 AM
try rockauto for parts... or even european Ebay... like ebay.co.uk... most times you can get stuff for way less that way...

Maye even try the local junk yard...

retho78
01-02-11, 12:42 AM
Try advance auto parts online for the coil pack and use coupon code, and then select pick up from store. You'll save a lot of money that way.

ceehow
01-06-11, 05:00 PM
i ended up getting the part off ebay for $85 w/ shipping. *fingers crossed* i'm taking it to hill cadillac on monday. i'm thinking about selling this car once i get this fixed. too many headaches for a car with such low miles (55K so far)

AHazzardToAll
01-07-11, 04:40 AM
i ended up getting the part off ebay for $85 w/ shipping. *fingers crossed* i'm taking it to hill cadillac on monday. i'm thinking about selling this car once i get this fixed. too many headaches for a car with such low miles (55K so far)

Our 97 was headaches as well, ran well once we got the bugs worked out though. You should snap a few pictures of the interior of yours, it's not too often we see, or even hear about the cat's with the cloth interior. I've seen two run through our local dealers' auction (after going every week for 3 years), but they were both in really poor condition.

ceehow
01-08-11, 01:50 AM
Our 97 was headaches as well, ran well once we got the bugs worked out though. You should snap a few pictures of the interior of yours, it's not too often we see, or even hear about the cat's with the cloth interior. I've seen two run through our local dealers' auction (after going every week for 3 years), but they were both in really poor condition.

i thought a good amount of people up here would have seen a catera with the cloth. i'll take a pic over the weekend and post it. i might end up holding on to the car after all.

AHazzardToAll
01-08-11, 09:34 AM
i thought a good amount of people up here would have seen a catera with the cloth. i'll take a pic over the weekend and post it. i might end up holding on to the car after all.

The topic has come up a few times through the years in posts such as "holy crap, did i see a catera with cloth seats!?" Cloth seats were an option to keep the base price down to compete with the markets introuductory prices. The majority of the cateras had the leather interrior. Most people like the leather more, but a few (including my sister) like cloth seats better. She says the leather ones get to hot in the summer and burn her legs when she wears shorts. All personal preferance i guess.

dkozloski
01-08-11, 03:11 PM
Driving a car while it has a misfire will wipe out the CAT.

ceehow
01-09-11, 03:53 PM
Driving a car while it has a misfire will wipe out the CAT.

i've heard and read that quite a few times. but i dont really have a choice.

ceehow
01-09-11, 04:02 PM
here are the pics of my car interior.

AHazzardToAll
01-09-11, 05:00 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/71419d1294606479-seafoam-too-much-interior1.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/71420d1294606479-seafoam-too-much-interior2.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/71421d1294606479-seafoam-too-much-interior3.jpghttp://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/71422d1294606479-seafoam-too-much-interior4.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/71423d1294606479-seafoam-too-much-interior5.jpg

Looks pretty good actually. Never seen cloth in black.

CateraMV6
01-09-11, 10:07 PM
Wanna trade your cloth seats for my leather ones?

ceehow
01-09-11, 11:22 PM
i like the look with the cloth. the leather has to look just as good. i will say this.....cadillac did a good job with the looks of this car. and i can only take like 3% of the credit for the looks though......i've only had the car since this past may.

Wanna trade your cloth seats for my leather ones?

maann......there's no way i would give these seats up!! do you just not like the leather seats?

AHazzardToAll
01-10-11, 04:46 PM
I like my 99 sport seats best. My dad n sis have the leather seats, and I sat in the one with cloth seats at the auction, and out of them all I prefer my recaro seats. The shape of the cloth seats is the same as the standard leather, so at that point it comes down to preference in fabric.

ceehow
01-12-11, 01:59 AM
the final result:

ok, i got the ignition coil from ebay, $85 with shipping, and went out to Hill Cadillac monday morning. i get there and i'm all ready and then the service guy asks if its and oem part or an aftermarket part. it was an aftermarket and then he tells me they can't put on aftermarket parts because they wouldnt be able to guarantee the warrenty (or something to that effect). :banghead: then he starts doing the calculations on the part and labor for them. (i already knew the oem part was $400+) and it would have been $600+. :helpless: i understood why they wouldnt use my part but i wasnt (and couldnt) do $600+. so i said i would be back on fri and left. i tried to think of places to get the coil put on and just thought to give meineke a call.....and surprisingly they said the could do it. got it done there (labor was $236 w/tax) and car is running great!