: So I finally decided to undertake the foggy headlights today...

Old Guy
12-24-10, 02:15 AM
I had some extra time so I thought I would go ahead and cook a set of headlights in the oven and pull them apart so I could clean the fog and to add a set of LED strip lights too. These are the daytime pics I took, with the nighttime shots to follow in another post...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71089

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71090

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71091

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71092

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71093

Old Guy
12-24-10, 02:45 AM
And here are the pics at night...

All I had to do once I had them apart was to clean them with soap and water to get the fog-off. I guess its a side effect of the HID's or something. Once in there I glued the LED strip light to the inside along the edge... looks pretty good. I usually go all out when I do headlights but I went conservative with these so as to not draw too much extra attention.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71095

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71096

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71097

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71098

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71099

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71100

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71101

J-Ridez
12-24-10, 11:47 AM
That looks super badass!!!! Do you think you can give me a quick run down of the project because I've heard of people baking the lights to get them apart but I've been hesitant to ever try it. I mainly interested in the baking part - what temp and for how long? Thanks!

pmartell12
12-24-10, 12:00 PM
very nice

Caddydude420
12-24-10, 12:28 PM
That looks awesome. I've been lazy and putting off cleaning the headlights, but that might make me get me going.

Where'd you get the LED strip? Autozone/pepboys or online? Where'd you splice it to (or is on a separate switch?

Old Guy
12-24-10, 01:37 PM
I baked them at 180 for about 10 minutes each, that was enough to soften up the goo that hold them together, then its a matter of prying them apart with a screwdriver. When you are done, you will need to bake them again to help press it all back together to make a good seal. Make sure you take all the bulbs out and remove the ballast and wire before you put it in the oven. The bulb sockets and associated wiring will be fine. I placed the headlight on a tray before putting it in the oven too.

I just ran a wire to a switched relay in the fuse box so they come on/go off with the ignition. I got those strip LED's from ebay, came from China/Hong Kong, took about 20 days or so but were super cheap, like $6 free shipping for both. I used "Welder" brand contact adhesive because it can be removed at anytime but holds really well. I would have used silicone but thats much harder to get off if I need to replace something at a later time. I suggest buying 4 strips instead of 2 just to make sure you end up with 2 that work well. I have bought these before and sometimes you will get a strip that a few lights wont work right away or become an issue.

The cleaning made a huge difference in the lights themselves, I thought that the fogginess wasnt going to be something so easily fixed but its some kind of residue that coated the inside of the lens and the reflectors. It just wiped off with a towel, but I thoroughly washed the lens off to make sure. Aside from the rock/bug chips of 80,000+ miles they look almost new.

I also took out the ugly distracting orange reflector on each side to help the look of the lights, now that they are gone the open area acts kinda like a mirror, enhancing the lights themselves. Looks cleaner too.

I am going to mess around with replacing the DRL's with some LED replacements as well as the side marker bulb that was under the orange reflector.

gmercedesbenz
12-24-10, 03:17 PM
That is freakin legit. :cool:Very Very Very nice job. I have a picture of my LED DRL if you wanted an idea of what it would look like. Now I want to take off my housings and give them a good cleaning, yours look brand new.:eyebrow:

jnrsesv
12-25-10, 01:37 AM
Very nice!!!! Did you happen to take any pics of the entire process?

Old Guy
12-27-10, 12:47 AM
no I didnt take any pics of the process, although I will probly break into them again to put some more LED's in at some point. I have done several Dodge Ram headlights so far but this was my first set of caddy lights. I wasnt even sure what I was going to do as I was pulling them apart. I have several different sizes of light rings which I though to put in first but I went conservative at first with the wild look coming later.

sk7
12-27-10, 11:33 AM
Very nice! I gotta do this headlight cleaning procedure. Tried to get some off with a brush and soapy water thru the bulb hole, helped but can't get to it all. Leds are a nice touch! Thanxs for posting.

CEPMAN
12-27-10, 01:27 PM
dude - that looks awesome!!

bstiffmanofsteel
12-29-10, 12:29 AM
Looks good, those are bright!

mosimann
12-29-10, 03:56 AM
It almost looks like a high end aftermarket headlight. You can make some money on this process of modding them with LEDs.

Old Guy
12-29-10, 06:47 PM
I have charged for the Dodge Ram headlights that I have done but that is because here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area the Ram clubs are very active and have alot of members... as far as I know a Caddy club here doesnt exist to any extent so hookin up with other escy owners is gonna be tough.

mosimann
12-30-10, 10:14 AM
You're right. I also have a Vette and the forum is 100x more active than the Caddy.

Fernando
01-07-11, 11:32 AM
If you ever decide to take on another set, please let me know so I can ship a pair of headlights to you.

CaddyEscalade
01-08-11, 01:56 PM
Could you post an ebay link or the name of the seller to the led's you bought?

CaddyEscalade
01-09-11, 12:38 PM
I baked them at 180 for about 10 minutes each, that was enough to soften up the goo that hold them together, then its a matter of prying them apart with a screwdriver. When you are done, you will need to bake them again to help press it all back together to make a good seal. Make sure you take all the bulbs out and remove the ballast and wire before you put it in the oven. The bulb sockets and associated wiring will be fine. I placed the headlight on a tray before putting it in the oven too.

I just ran a wire to a switched relay in the fuse box so they come on/go off with the ignition. I got those strip LED's from ebay, came from China/Hong Kong, took about 20 days or so but were super cheap, like $6 free shipping for both. I used "Welder" brand contact adhesive because it can be removed at anytime but holds really well. I would have used silicone but thats much harder to get off if I need to replace something at a later time. I suggest buying 4 strips instead of 2 just to make sure you end up with 2 that work well. I have bought these before and sometimes you will get a strip that a few lights wont work right away or become an issue.

The cleaning made a huge difference in the lights themselves, I thought that the fogginess wasnt going to be something so easily fixed but its some kind of residue that coated the inside of the lens and the reflectors. It just wiped off with a towel, but I thoroughly washed the lens off to make sure. Aside from the rock/bug chips of 80,000+ miles they look almost new.

I also took out the ugly distracting orange reflector on each side to help the look of the lights, now that they are gone the open area acts kinda like a mirror, enhancing the lights themselves. Looks cleaner too.

I am going to mess around with replacing the DRL's with some LED replacements as well as the side marker bulb that was under the orange reflector.

Are these the ones?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2x-Unversal-24-white-LED-car-flexible-strip-light-12V-/330485977459?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf27fd173

They are so cheap. I just want to make sure I get the right ones as even the color is spot on to match your HIDs.

Old Guy
01-10-11, 01:16 AM
yep... those are the ones... so cheap, buy an extra 2 just in case all the LEDs dont work right. @ $6 you cant go wrong!

rzambrano
01-10-11, 01:31 AM

Can I do the baking with my 05 STS headlights? My left one has major condensation in it, so instead of throwing $300+ for a new one, think I can salvage it? I have already wet sanded them and polished then and they look good but they have hazes inside.

Old Guy
01-10-11, 07:36 PM
probly... I am not sure what caused the haze that was in my headlights but it simply washed right off with soap and water. I mentioned before that I think it had something to do with the HID's and the amount of heat they put off.

rzambrano
01-10-11, 07:41 PM
probly... I am not sure what caused the haze that was in my headlights but it simply washed right off with soap and water. I mentioned before that I think it had something to do with the HID's and the amount of heat they put off.

Mines are halogen, although once they are out I'm gonna put a set of philips bulbs in there along with replacing my highs and DRL's. Can you email/pm some detailed instructions?

Old Guy
01-10-11, 11:42 PM
actually what I wrote that has been reposted above is about as much help as you need, its really that simple. If the goo starts to get hard again as your working it apart, then just stick the assembly back into the oven for a few more minutes to soften it up again. Once you get one apart the second one will go way faster since you will have the feel for it. I will tell you that in one corner along the rubber seal/edge there is a screw, remove the screw before trying to pry it apart. If I take mine apart again I will take pics and possibly video of the procedure for all to go by.

rzambrano
01-12-11, 04:07 AM
actually what I wrote that has been reposted above is about as much help as you need, its really that simple. If the goo starts to get hard again as your working it apart, then just stick the assembly back into the oven for a few more minutes to soften it up again. Once you get one apart the second one will go way faster since you will have the feel for it. I will tell you that in one corner along the rubber seal/edge there is a screw, remove the screw before trying to pry it apart. If I take mine apart again I will take pics and possibly video of the procedure for all to go by.

Well I'll be giving this a try during the next few weeks.

CaddyEscalade
01-13-11, 02:01 AM
I am also tempted... Did you disconect your DRLs?

rzambrano
01-13-11, 02:03 AM

If that question is for me, then no I haven't.

Old Guy
01-14-11, 11:09 AM

I didnt either... but I am tempted to go to an LED bulb though to at least try to match the color

jimmyhill
01-16-11, 07:30 PM
Hi All, Brand new to this forum, just waiting on our 2010 EXT, can anyone tell me any reason that this would not work on mine? Great job, I want to give this a shot!

CaddyEscalade
01-19-11, 12:49 AM
I didnt either... but I am tempted to go to an LED bulb though to at least try to match the color

I think I would disconnect the DRLs all together with those leds as your DRLs. I ordered the leds from China and love the look, but I am hoping seeing the holes for the reflector clips and the bulb doesn't bother me too much.

Old Guy
01-19-11, 04:55 PM
I thought it would bother me at first but I got over it quick... for some reason it just looks cleaner to me without that big ole orange reflector in there.

rzambrano
01-23-11, 05:33 AM
I gave this a try and it did not quite work out. I took of my front fascia to replace my Low's with a Philips 4300k HID set, and to wash the inside of the headlights. First of all, when I hooked the headlights up, one of the bulbs was bad. Second, after wet sanding the front, I noticed the soapy water got into the headlight assembly (after glued and assembled), so now I have hazy headlights with halogen bulbs and dried up water runs inside the headlight.

rzambrano
01-23-11, 05:34 AM
What did you use to seal this?

Old Guy
01-23-11, 03:32 PM
after taking the lens and headlights assemblies apart, cleaning all the parts, doing my LED stuff to the inside and all... I put them back together and then baked them again to resoftent he goo that holds them together and then just pressed them back together again, they sealed themselves up. I havent had any issues with water leakage at all and have driven in several pretty heavy rainstorms since last year when I did them. Plus so far none of the guys that I have done the dodge ram headlights for have had any issues either. I wouldnt recommend using any other kind of sealant either since various silicones and glues give off vapors when drying and could in fact re-fog the inside of the lens. This happened to me when I did the first set of passing lamps on my Harley Davidson.

rzambrano
01-23-11, 11:53 PM
To start with, one of mine already had moisture in it. I am going to have to redo it. Recommend any glue?

Old Guy
01-24-11, 12:14 AM
the stuff that the headlights are stuck together with reminds of the stuff that is used to hold windshields in, its gooey... some kind of windowweld. Otherwise black silicone with plenty of dry time would be fine to reseal them. Although getting them apart afterwards might be quite a chore if you need to get into them again.

rzambrano
01-24-11, 12:50 AM
the stuff that the headlights are stuck together with reminds of the stuff that is used to hold windshields in, its gooey... some kind of windowweld. Otherwise black silicone with plenty of dry time would be fine to reseal them. Although getting them apart afterwards might be quite a chore if you need to get into them again.

Well I plan on doing them right this time. This previous time, the chrome insert was attached to the lens by some rivets, which seem like might break if I try to pry. I will go ahead and try it again this weekend (assuming the eBay user warrants the DOA bulb I got).

mancuusa
01-25-11, 07:54 PM
hi how are you? great job@ looks very good! i like to it on my 05...you wont have the intructions of how to remove them out of the car and how to take them a part? i ve see what you did but if you were a little more especific how how to glue back and all that will be great....how long did it take you?

CaddyEscalade
02-05-11, 12:47 PM
Old Guy, I am starting this project today. you had said" Make sure you take all the bulbs out and remove the ballast and wire before you put it in the oven." I have my headlight out and I don't understand how you remove the HID ballast and wire from the lights, the wire does not seem removable? Help!

CaddyEscalade
02-05-11, 01:24 PM
forget it, I figured it out...they just unplug at the bulb

CaddyEscalade
03-04-11, 10:53 AM
Old Guy, I did this to mine, and am happy with the result thanks! Wish they were brighter, but still nice. I have read that LEDs dont like anything over 12 volts and they tend to burn out quickly. Did you put any resisters or anything to lower the voltage to handle the 14+ volts from the truck?

Trulytex
08-29-11, 06:44 PM
I did this project today and WOW what a difference! I am just blown away! The price on these headlights are $657 each from the dealer so I was ready to try this and I was Pleasantly Surprised! The "Fog" just wipes right off (I used some Windex just to give them a Good Cleaning). I will post some pics later this evening.

kruser79
08-29-11, 07:37 PM
That's crazy! I'm still a member of dodetalk.com, which is where I learned to do the very same thing (did my '02 Ram's buckets back in 2005, they're painted to match the body color and reflectors removed and shaved). But I joined up here because it's time for the ol' girl to go, and for us to ride a little more comfy. And this is one of the first non-performance mods I'm gonna do!

Old Guy
08-29-11, 07:39 PM
very cheap & easy fix to an expensive problem.

And I would have added resistors but knew when they went bad that I would probly just change it out to something else anyway.

Trulytex
08-29-11, 10:15 PM
Well, all in all, it wasn't that bad of a job. The hardest part is seperating the headlight housing. I tried 180 degrees for 10 minutes, but I increased it to 220 degrees for 15 minutes abd it helped, You just have to be patient and work the screwdriver a little at a time when prying them apart.

I took a picture of where to unplug the HID lights, as that seems to have been a little confusing:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29131234-Line.jpg

The connector is right at the light fixture inside of the housing. Just use a pair of needle-nose pliers and work it backwards. Then pull on the cord where it enters the housing and pull it all the way out. You will have to put it back in the same way, but a pair of needle nose pliers will help pull it back in as well.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29132222.jpg

This is my "Before" picture:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/BuffHeadlights2.jpg

A full-frontal picture from when I bought her 2 weeks ago:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/InspecttheEscaladeinMiami9.jpg

After splitting the housing, you have to remove this black piece (in the picture) from the Lens. There is one Torx screw on the edge and 2 small Hex Head Screws on the inside going through the lens into this black piece. Remove them and just pull - it takes some force to seperate them.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29162942.jpg

Here is a "Before" Picture with the Housing Removed:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29164519.jpg

"Before" Picture of the inside of the Lens after seperation:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29171551.jpg

Clean the reflector too, but be VERY carefull. I cleaned the reflector too hard and rubbed off some of the reflective coating. I used Windex on it too, so I would recomend just soap & water with light pressure.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29163148.jpg

Here is an "After" Pic of the first Lens Completed:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29164513.jpg

Here is a Side-by-Side Pic of one Lens Completed next to one that hasn't been cleaned. You can definitely see the difference:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29164451.jpg

Here are a couple "After" pics after the job was complete and headlights re-installed:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29190833.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/trulytex/2004%20Cadillac%20Escalade/2011-08-29190732.jpg

This was a project that was well worth the time. I would guess that from start to finish, it took approximately 4 hours, but quite a bit of the time is just waiting for the housings to "Bake". Good Luck!

cdubb79
10-07-11, 06:15 PM
Tried this and have replaced the leds twice already. Mine look just like the one's in the picture above. Be advised you will need some type of voltage regulator on these leds cause they start to flicker and burnout after about 20 days. Depending on how much you have them on. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Have you had this issue yet?

the cadillac man
10-10-11, 01:30 AM
btw the hazing on the lens is a side effect of the drl's i switched to led's and i then cleaned out the lens with some water and haven't had the issue since.

the cadillac man
10-10-11, 01:46 AM
also if you use the halogen high bems a lot it causes this also i switched mine to hid along with the drl's to led and i have yet to see mine do this again although it toke a day or two for my housings to dry out i didn't take them apart just poured a little water in the drl socket and made sure that it didn't touch the bulbs worked around then poured it out now my truck looks like new after every wash with the exception of the logo it's faded really bad.

lfkc60a
07-16-12, 01:18 AM
just tried it, worked great. That haze inside the lights has been bugging me for years. The first one took about an hour and a half. Did the second one this morning and it was under an hour, including baking time of 20 minutes before and 20 minutes after. Thanks for posting!

skills2005
08-08-12, 09:59 AM
i replaced the DRL with LED's I got off ebay. You can't really see them in the day time unless your close but it does look good. Pure white light and also for the fog lights.

jmr1176
01-22-13, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have the pics that were associated with this thread? THey won't load for some reason.

Snowboarder
01-22-13, 05:05 PM
I started to remove my headlights but it was dark outside and I only got so far. To actually remove the headlamp from the car, it appeared there was a rubber hose/wire that extends from inside the house out somewhere into the vehicle. I'm assuming it's the ballast wire? Am I disconnecting that from inside the housing or somewhere on the car?

the cadillac man
01-22-13, 06:06 PM
I started to remove my headlights but it was dark outside and I only got so far. To actually remove the headlamp from the car, it appeared there was a rubber hose/wire that extends from inside the house out somewhere into the vehicle. I'm assuming it's the ballast wire? Am I disconnecting that from inside the housing or somewhere on the car?

That does not need to be removed there is rubber covers on the back of the housing that give access to the bulbs

Snowboarder
01-22-13, 06:23 PM
right but to take the headlight completely off of the car, i'm assuming it has to be removed, right?

the cadillac man
01-22-13, 06:27 PM
right but to take the headlight completely off of the car, i'm assuming it has to be removed, right?

The wire goes to the ballast just behind the grille and I suggest unplugging it from the ballast if the housing has to be removed I don't remove it from that when I replace the bulbs but I can see how it can make it easier(I just prefer not disconnecting it)

Airdorn
01-22-13, 09:20 PM
What does DRL mean?

the cadillac man
01-22-13, 10:27 PM
What does DRL mean?

Daytime running light(its a Canada thing which we really don't need nor is there a law which requires them the car companies just do one setup to save them money(just my two cents on the last part)

Airdorn
01-22-13, 10:43 PM
Oh I was hoping is was some kind of aftermarket replacement for those hideous HID lights. :(

the cadillac man
01-22-13, 11:19 PM
Oh I was hoping is was some kind of aftermarket replacement for those hideous HID lights. :(

Here is a site for cheap hid bulbs FYI 4300k gives the most light and is oem legal
kensun. com 50 bucks for a pair with a two year warranty

Also if the lights ain't reaching more then 10 to 13 feet then they need replacing as my low beams reach at 15 to 20 feet of pure white light that spans from one side of the road to the other side

SQUIRREL MASTER
03-17-14, 10:16 PM
Here is a site for cheap hid bulbs FYI 4300k gives the most light and is oem legal
kensun. com 50 bucks for a pair with a two year warranty

Also if the lights ain't reaching more then 10 to 13 feet then they need replacing as my low beams reach at 15 to 20 feet of pure white light that spans from one side of the road to the other sidehttp://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/15/83/00/42/untitl10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=254&u=15830042)... TCM, are you currently running the FYI 4300K's? How have they faired?

the cadillac man
03-17-14, 10:29 PM
[/URL]... TCM, are you currently running the FYI 4300K's? How have they faired?

The hid bulbs I have I got from here www.kensun.com(same (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=254&u=15830042) with the kits I have in my high beams and fog lights)
I only had to replace one bulb and ballast( ballast had water intrusion and somehow messed up the bulb)
I love them they work great
Just a heads up if you use the flash to pass feature get LEDs from here [url]www.vleds.com(I use them on my car and they are nice and bright)

godsdiablo
03-18-14, 12:41 AM
i purchase my bulbs off ebay, haven't had any problems yet just buy from good feedback and most sold