: Front license plate gone, holes remain?

Z06CADY
12-23-10, 07:42 PM
I removed the front plate and bracket but now have the four holes in the bumper to deal with. Has anyone successfully filled the holes or plugged them and with what? The dealer is no help at all. :hmm:

Thanks,

Chris

GMJim
12-23-10, 09:11 PM
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

Z06CADY
12-23-10, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jim!

sube5186
12-24-10, 06:10 AM
Did your car originally come from a state which required a front license plate? Please don't tell me it had some dealer advertisement plate on it. I hate when they ruin your bumper without permission to promote free advertisement for their dealership.

Sube

TRMN8R1
12-24-10, 07:15 AM
Did your car originally come from a state which required a front license plate? Please don't tell me it had some dealer advertisement plate on it. I hate when they ruin your bumper without permission to promote free advertisement for their dealership.

Sube

Yeah, usually that's the first thing I do is to remove ALL dealer badges! They should pay US for the advertising (sorry for the hi-jack:shhh:)

Z06CADY
12-26-10, 01:01 AM

Sube
Yep, CA.
The dealer says they will not deliver a car without the bracket in place. So I took it off. :shhh:

GMJim
12-26-10, 08:17 AM
Are you going to get the bumper plugs? Kinda pricey, but a good fix. Better than holes.
If you do, post a follow up. I am curious how they fit, and look.

Thanks, Jim

Ponyman
12-26-10, 11:53 AM
I contacted them for bumper plugs, and was going to try them till I took the front bracket off. There are four holes there and I thought it would look weird with four plugs in such a small area. They did have the plugs in stock in almost all colors. Pics would be nice to see what it actually did look like with the four plugs installed. We just went with a really nice logo Cadillac front vanity plate. Our car was bought in Texas where they require the front tag, but here in Oklahoma we don't. Unfortunately they just put them on when they take delivery of the cars, since they are needed there.

sube5186
12-26-10, 11:55 AM
Yep, CA.
The dealer says they will not deliver a car without the bracket in place. So I took it off. :shhh:

Did a little research on this. Apparently, the dealer is only complying with CA state law. They're required to have the bracket installed on all cars they sell. The only exception is if they obtain a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the vehicle acknowledging that they're aware of the legal requirement and refuse anyway.

To avoid having the holes drilled, you'd have to catch them when the car is first delivered and sign that statement. Then, take you chances on getting a ticket for driving without the front plate.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm

Sube

Marc NY
12-26-10, 12:45 PM
Sube it is the same issue in many states ... including NY!

sube5186
12-26-10, 01:39 PM
Yeah, if the state the vehicle is being sold in mandates it, I don't see a problem. However, here in PA a front plate is not required. Believe it or not I've seen other (not Cadillac) dealers who drill the bumpers of all of their cars just to put that stupid advertisement plate on. People buy those cars and don't complain because they think they have no option.

Sube

Ponyman
12-26-10, 02:38 PM
At least now most of the dealer logos they put on the cars can be removed fairly easily. I got my James Wood logo off with a heat gun and dental floss. Remember the 70's when the dealer would stick a huge potmetal logo on the cars and attach it with rivets? Not only were they ugly, but they left two holes in the car when you tried to take them off. I was stuck with a few cars with these monstrosities on them, because back then I was only able to buy used vehicle.s Later, I demanded they take them off, or did it myself immediatley after taking delivery.

brk
12-26-10, 05:07 PM
I left the holes in my front bumper and keep the plate in the trunk, along with a couple of screws poking out of it.

That way if I ever get pulled over, I can plausibly say "yeah, it got knocked off at the car wash the other day and I haven't had a chance to reattach it yet..."

Z06CADY
12-28-10, 11:35 AM
I left the holes in my front bumper and keep the plate in the trunk, along with a couple of screws poking out of it.

That way if I ever get pulled over, I can plausibly say "yeah, it got knocked off at the car wash the other day and I haven't had a chance to reattach it yet..."

I saw a tread maybe on the cts-v forum that had a plastic envlope for the front plate that you could hang for the purpose of having the ticket signed off, its a fix-it ticket in CA. or at least it was. :bouncy:

Z06CADY
01-02-11, 09:44 PM
Are you going to get the bumper plugs? Kinda pricey, but a good fix. Better than holes.
If you do, post a follow up. I am curious how they fit, and look.

Thanks, Jim

I did install them and if i am successful at attaching the pic here is the bumper with the plugs.

GMJim
01-03-11, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the picture!
Sure beats the plate holder, or the holes.

Jim

Ponyman
01-03-11, 02:06 PM
Thaks, I will probably have to order a coule of sets. What is your paint color, and did it match?

Z06CADY
01-03-11, 10:57 PM
Our color is radiant silver and it matched great! It would be much better had the bracket not been mounted but this a $50 fix and beats paint and the rest.
I am making a bracket for the plate that will mount under the front with either rivets or screw into the plastic. Either way you will not see the holes when it is removed and thats the plan after the fix-it-ticket is signed off.

Boomer01
02-20-12, 10:04 AM
Do you just drill out the rivets?

2011SRXMo
02-20-12, 11:39 AM
This sucks. I just moved to Mo and have to get the front bracket installed. Not thrilled about this at all.