: Heated seats issue??

brilew4211
12-23-10, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone, i have a 2007 dts l package and i was told that the heated/cooled seats worked when i bought the car. I get down the road after a few hours and i then notice that the heated seats are nt working at all. The lights come on and same with the cool side.the passnger seat is the same way. Does anyone have any insight so i dont have to take it to a dealer and get charged a million dollers? Thanks for any help besides that i love the car. Went from a 2001 deville base to an 07 dts very nice rides!!

HartfordGuy
12-25-10, 09:23 PM
Other than looking under the seat to see if they came unplugged, I don't know what else to suggest.

tedcmiller
12-26-10, 12:46 AM
The heated/cooled seats are heated and cooled by a module in the seat that heats the seats if the current flow is in one direction and cools the seats if the current flow is in the opposite direction. The direction of the current flow is determined by the seat controller. After the current flow direction in the module is properly set by the seat controller, the fan that blows air over the module and through the ventilation hole in the seats must operate - again a setting determined by the seat controller. So failure of the heating/cooling process for a seat could be caused by any of three things - the controller, the heat/cool module, or the fan. Any one of these items will be very expensive.

Kenwood
12-26-10, 11:01 PM
I'll throw out a guess and suggest a blown fuse. I went through a few of those for some unknown reason on a Suburban at about once per year, then the latest one has lasted
about four years now.

Kenwood

brilew4211
12-27-10, 11:22 PM
Thanks for your input, the switches on both the passenger side and the driver side turn on as well as the cooled seat part of the switch. I have read on here that it could be the climate control seat module. Is that what it sounds like to you? Do you know where that is located? I think its under the passenger seat. does anyone know how to check that module to see if its bad? Thanks for all replies I appreciate it. Have a good night all.

Andy1
12-27-10, 11:57 PM
Andy1 here in Calgary. I have the same problem with my 06 DTS II...two days before Christmas, both front and rear parking sensors died. Christmas day both heated/cooled front seats and the heated steering wheel died at the same time. There is a separate module for each seat so if both are gone probably not module. More likely a bad ground (under drivers seat) or a power supply issue. My drivers seat module was replaced on warranty 2 months before warranty up. Now car going in to dealer again. Too complicated to fix yourself unless you have GM type scantool and manuals.
I'm getting more PO'd with this car every year

Andy1
12-30-10, 08:12 PM
Got my 06 DTS back from dealer today. $1,400 to replace the heat/cool module in the passenger seat, (controls both seats), was burnt out.
WHY?
Because of bad grounds during assembly. They put a wire with a lug on the end onto a painted surface and hope the bolt will cut into the metal threads.

That's two modules now in 10 months
These grounds are under the seats so not at all easy to get at.

I think most of the electrical problems with these cars are bad grounds and/or really cheap parts.

tedcmiller
12-30-10, 09:49 PM
Loss of a ground connection should not destroy (burn out?) an electronic module. Worst case it should just stop working. If the module was truly inoperable, it was the module's fault. Do you know for a fact that the module was burned out? Maybe the dealership replaced the module, which did not solve the problem, found the bad ground, and then destroyed the module it removed so that the part would be paid for either by GM or you.

cadmanchris
12-30-10, 10:20 PM
The biggest problem with this is poor terminal tension in the power wires to the climate control seat module. Depending on how badly burned the wire is, sometimes you can save the module by cleaning the terminal end on the module side and replacing the wire and terminal on the connector side. My Escalade has the same setup with the same problem and I managed to save the module and repair the terminal. HTH.

brilew4211
01-05-11, 10:13 PM
oh man, it sounds like it is for sure the module under the passenger seat. So if i take the seat out and inspect the module than I may be able to clean it and then maybe it will work. Does anyone know if i can have the part tested anywhere? Well I would like to thank everyone for their comment and posts. it sounds like the cadillacs need to be built a little better. As far as the electronics go. Have a great day everyone.

Andy1
01-06-11, 11:04 AM
Better solution: Can you get a friendly dealer or independent shop to use his Tech IV scantool on the seats...should help identify the actual module (out of many) and save you some grief.

If you do this seat removal work yourself, don't forget to disconnect the battery and then ground-yourself first. There is an exploding airbag in both seats and static can set it off.

Get a shop manual...you need to be an electrical engineer to understand most of it.

Some auto parts places may test the module for you, but check the pins in the contacts.

Also re-do the grounds under each seat...I used my dremel and ground the paint off from under any ground I can get too.

I love my caddy, but too many junky parts from Mexico and elsewhere.
Andy1 in Calgary

sean007
01-21-11, 11:24 PM
Got my 07 a month ago - 2 weeks later, the heat/cool module went out. Took it to a dealership (not the place I purchased it) and had it done - was $900(USD) in Wisconsin.

The wire's had burnt back as well - when it blew, I wasn't driving but had just finished heating the car in my drive!

On the plus side, I did manage to get the place I bought it from to pay the dealership half of the cost direct.

Not to get OT, but just want to say this is my first GM vehicle (in my 20+yrs of driving -UK and USA) and I love it! I travel 100 miles a day and it's just so 'Comfortable'. :thumbsup:

Superjim
01-22-11, 09:48 AM
Got my 07 a month ago - 2 weeks later, the heat/cool module went out. Took it to a dealership (not the place I purchased it) and had it done - was $900(USD) in Wisconsin.

The wire's had burnt back as well - when it blew, I wasn't driving but had just finished heating the car in my drive!

On the plus side, I did manage to get the place I bought it from to pay the dealership half of the cost direct.

Not to get OT, but just want to say this is my first GM vehicle (in my 20+yrs of driving -UK and USA) and I love it!
I travel 100 miles a day and it's just so 'Comfortable'. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of Cadillac. :)

Texas Jim

kenlhav
09-25-14, 04:11 PM
to R&R the Module under the passenger side - YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE SEAT - just tilt it up lots - two bolts and a few connectors -