: car "smells like a snowmobile"

outsider
12-23-10, 12:59 PM
my 1995 caddy, since it's been cold out sometimes i will start it, and leave it running to let it warm up. Well the other day we went to get in and my girlfriend said it "Smells like a snowmobile". I didn't notice at first, but then I started to notice that it did, infact, smell like a snow mobile (exhaust...maybe rich exhaust?)

I do have some exhaust leaks going on, I got most of them welded up recently and, but I never had it smell inside the car like this. And when it was smelling in the car, the leaks were not audible as the metal had warmed up enough to close the leak i guess... Any ideas what could be going on? where/how it can be getting in?

Thanks. :nono:

jayoldschool
12-23-10, 01:04 PM
Either broken manifold bolts or cracked manifold (or both).

outsider
12-23-10, 01:08 PM
Thanks Jay. Now that you mention that, the leak I'm hearing right now does sound like it's coming from the drive's side manifold. ticks until it is warmed up. I will look at that!

jayoldschool
12-23-10, 01:35 PM
When cold, feel the back of the manifold bolt locations. I bet the rear one is missing.

outsider
12-23-10, 01:43 PM
you are correct, rear one is missing...maybe even the 2nd one too. didn't feel that one, but my fingers were pretty numb by the time i got the car brushed off. lol.

so here's the question...what's the easiest way to extract the broken bolt(s)?

On my 69 caddy we drilled and tapped them because they had welded themselves into the holes. there was no way to get them out. I hope I won't have to do that with these ones....only could do it on the 69 because we pulled the engine. Any suggestions or tips?

jayoldschool
12-23-10, 02:07 PM
Manifold needs to come off. Use an impact gun with extensions and wobblers. You can get all the bolts from below or through the wheelwell. The cat needs to be disconnected from the manifold. Those three nuts/studs will be a pain on a rusty car. Heat will help. Once the manifold is off, you can see how bad it will be. If you are lucky, there will be a stub sticking out and you can grab it and twist it out. If unlucky, the bolt will be broken off below the surface. Best way here is to weld a nut to the stub and take it out. Two benefits from the weld: the heat will help break the corrosion, and the MIG wire will not stick to the cast iron head.

Two more notes: if you find only the rear bolt broken, you can install headers since they use a different rear bolt hole, and use only factory gaskets on the manifold to head and the collector to cat.

jayoldschool
12-23-10, 02:08 PM
Manifold needs to come off. Use an impact gun with extensions and wobblers. You can get all the bolts from below or through the wheelwell. The cat needs to be disconnected from the manifold. Those three nuts/studs will be a pain on a rusty car. Heat will help. Once the manifold is off, you can see how bad it will be. If you are lucky, there will be a stub sticking out and you can grab it and twist it out. If unlucky, the bolt will be broken off below the surface. Best way here is to weld a nut to the stub and take it out. Two benefits from the weld: the heat will help break the corrosion, and the MIG wire will not stick to the cast iron head.

Two more notes: if you find only the rear bolt broken, you can install headers since they use a different rear bolt hole, and use only factory gaskets on the manifold to head and the collector to cat.

outsider
12-23-10, 02:24 PM
Thanks Jay. I will need to get some time to do this...will need to take it to my girlfriend's father's house to do that as he has a garage and welding stuff.

I hate exhaust work and cold :( maybe I will just wuss out and have my mechanic do it...but that'll probably cost a pretty penny! haha

jayoldschool
12-23-10, 04:46 PM
Wait until spring ;)

outsider
12-23-10, 04:54 PM
driving around like this won't do any damage (to the car or my health)? I was worried mostly about carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust smell. don't wanna drive around with the window down all winter, lol

jayoldschool
12-23-10, 08:38 PM
You will get slightly lower mileage (air gets in the exhaust and the 02 reads wrong). You won't die, I promise.

Stingroo
12-23-10, 09:22 PM
Screenshot that for the future. :lol:

outsider
12-24-10, 08:23 AM
thanks guys. was worried mostly because I need to take a long trip tonight up home for Christmas.

merry Christmas to all btw!