: cars runs fine then starts to shake(in neutral) and then wont shift....

Oh5V
12-23-10, 01:05 AM
Im suspecting some type of hydraulic or clutch issue but i also feel its a little more than just needing to be bled...

The car is a 2005 V with 61k miles.

For the most part the car drives fine, then occasionally after a while it will feel like it has a miss or as if something in the drivetrain is off balance while just standing still. At that same time the clutch acts as if it wont fully disengage. Putting it in any gear is very tough and takes several attempts. I found if i rev the motor up to 2,000rpms or so, its much easier to get the shifter into gear. But even then, once i start moving and while driving, I hear, and moreorless feel, a faint rubbing /grinding noise coming from the drivetrain. When slowing, i almost have to yank the shifter out of gear, but while upshifting it works pretty normal going into higher gears. Does a dual mass flywheel ever go bad and loose weights or such? or could i have broken some bolts holding it, or the pressure plate on? Im really stumped.

Friday night is when it all started and then i noticed i was out of clutch fluid so i filled it back up and seemed to get better. Could i have blown the slave but its still together enough to work as it is now? I checked the fluid level today and its still where i filled it to. Could i have overextended the slave and thats where the extra fluid went and thats now why i wont fully disengage?

Its going to the dealer soon to get the hydraulics bled and ill go from there but the whole shaking issue when the problem happens is what concerns me. Like it will literally shake the steering wheel and dash while just sitting stopped in neutral.

and its been like 12 hours since i drove the car and if i go take it out now, itll be fine for 20-30 miles. Then randomly start shaking and acting up...

darkman
12-23-10, 09:23 AM
I think having the clutch fluid flushed and bled will likely address the gear shifting problems. It is unlikely that you damaged the slave. The fluid is "consumed" over time because even though the clutch hydraulic system is a "closed" system it is not actually air tight. In fact, dust from the clutch disc slowly but surely works its way into the clutch fluid causing the dark color it takes on.

The shaking is probably a separate issue. The LS6 has a natural "shimmer" at idle, which becomes a shake if the idle is too low from an dirty air filter, fuel filter, dirty MAF etc. The shake can also come from bad motor mounts or a worn dual-mass flywheel. There are also other possible causes.

Chris0nllyn
12-23-10, 05:45 PM
My car "shakes" a bit at idle also. I've heard this is normal. My car also shakes like hell when turning off, but again, I heard that was normal. My motor mounts are brand new, so I don't think it's them. No trouble getting it into gears though.

darkman
12-23-10, 06:00 PM
My car "shakes" a bit at idle also. I've heard this is normal. My car also shakes like hell when turning off, but again, I heard that was normal. My motor mounts are brand new, so I don't think it's them. No trouble getting it into gears though.

Whether a rough shut down indicates a problem depends on the degree and duration of the problem.

The rough shut down that does not last very long can be normal. A rough shut down can be from bad motor mounts. If you have fresh motor mounts, and the rough shut down continues several seconds it is probably "dieseling." True diseling is rare, and in a fuel injected car there is only one likely cause, which is a leaky fuel injector.

kevm14
12-23-10, 07:22 PM
I managed to diesel my 95 Fleetwood but I was Seafoaming it at the time. It was actually kind of scary.