: Interesting experience running out of gas

smelly$cat
12-22-10, 07:46 PM
03 ESV...

Drove from Boise ID to Montrose CO yesterday. Towing a enclosed trailer full of Christmas stuff.... Sad to report I only got 11.5 mpg. I didn't think it would go down so much. Normally get 16-17. Anyway... Wife drove most of the way and always insists on driving 70-80 mph which isn't exactly the sweet spot for economy, especially while pulling a big box behind you.

My funny experience was that I ran out of gas just as I was parking in the front of my in-laws house. Believe it or not, about 1 mile away, the truck lost serious power, but, kept going as long as I didn't give it too much gas. As long as I just barely kept my foot on the gas, she kept going and I was able to make it all the way to my destination. I couldn't believe that it just kept running like that. It felt like it was running on 2 cyl level of power. I almost wonder if it behaved this way by design to let you keep going and milking that tank for all it was worth. Any other car I've had in the past, when you run out of gas, you run out of gas and the engine sputters to a stop. Anyway, thought it was worth noting. I felt like it could have kept going for a bit longer.

I didn't think I was going to run out because the "Range" reading said 35 miles left when my GPS said it was only 20 to the house. That was the last joint reading I was able to get before it just went to Range = LOW. Guess it wasn't an exact as I had hoped.

Anyway, this morning, we put ~1 gal of gas in from my father in laws shed and she fired back up with just a bit of cranking. Started on the 2nd attempt. Was able to make it to the gas station down the street and she's still running like normal.

Stay classy my friends and have a great Christmas!

nathanjax
12-22-10, 11:15 PM
Glad it wasn't too much of a hassle getting to the station.

Normally, you don't want to go under 1/4 a tank or so because it will cause your fuel pump to heat up and fail at a faster rate.

yamla_jatt806
12-23-10, 04:11 PM
Glad it wasn't too much of a hassle getting to the station.

Normally, you don't want to go under 1/4 a tank or so because it will cause your fuel pump to heat up and fail at a faster rate.

I gotta remember that. I'm always on "E".

Solo wing
12-23-10, 06:11 PM
Also The Dealer Told me that If you go Under 1/4 It could do some serious damage to your Fuel Pump+Fuel Filter Or even the engine
Because Of the Dirt In the Fuel Tank.