: Tint or no tint? (trouble thread)

durrk johnson
12-22-10, 12:10 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/59913d1278356891-angel-eye-headlights-96fwb-0705001351bb.jpg

I bought my 96' FWB with super-black tint all around except for the front windows... and I havent had a problem since I bought it last year around this time.

But Ive been pulled over twice in the last two weeks... First because, "my middle brake light was out" and because I neglected to stop on a right hand turn on red.

Now yesterday, I got pulled over right in front of my moms house...

Well actually, they were following me and when I stopped and parked, they pulled up with their lights on and jumped out of the car all super-apprehensive.

Im like "whoa", and they are like "Dont move, do you have a license?"

Basically I was a dick to them because I thought I wasnt doing anything wrong, and I didnt have anything on me so I thought I'd be cool. Then they started to say "they could arrest me for tinted windows." blah blah blah

Well, they kept asking if anyone else was in the car, I said "No, Does it look like it?" Then they got pissed.

So I got pissed.

They asked to search my car, I was like "go ahead."

Then, she finds something and im like "WTF!?"

Apparently, she found a rolled up cellophane cigarrette pack wrapper with a small amount of crappy weed in it.

First, I would never carry anything like that in my car, and if I did it would be in a safe place.

Second... I only smoke medicinal quality MJ.

Third... I dont smoke cigarettes.

I know who must have left it there, my best buddy. (he smokes that crap and always carrys his stuff in one of those cellophane wraps.)

Anyways, they arrest me and bring me to the district police station and I get booked for possesion. (I was only there for a couple hours.)

So now, I have to fight this lame ass citation so that I can keep my bartenders license and so I dont have a possession charge on my record which can **** up grants if i ever wanna go back to school etc.

(This all happened yesterday by the way.)

durrk johnson
12-22-10, 12:14 PM
They told my mom and bro that they were on their way to a call, and then they "heard my tires squeal" and then they "saw my tinted windows and had probable cause" to make a stop.

(Keep in mind its winter here and the roads are wet right now.)

Also, when another car drove me to the station, we talked about tint and they pointed out a poopload of cars they could even pull over for illegal tint, even a schoolbus! BUt they said they use "discretion."

Also they checked my tint with a meter and said it was 11% and 14% clarity. Apparently the law is 50% in front 35% in back.

I have an appt. for tuesday to get the tint taken off. Should I get new lighter tint? Or keep none at all?

outsider
12-22-10, 12:34 PM
i love the look of tinted windows on these cars, especially black...

basically, here's my rules for dealing with cops:
1: be polite. even if they're being dicks to you, always be polite.
2: know your rights and exercise them. You didn't need to consent to a search, you can respectfully decline or ask what the reason for wanting to search your car is.
3: if they are harassing you like it sounds, get badge numbers and report them.

I don't know about the laws where you live, but in Maine you have to have papers for your tinted windows. If you don't have papers, your car doesn't pass inspection and you can't drive it. If your inspection is good and you had tint on at the time of your last inspection then the inspection station didn't do their job...

Stingroo
12-22-10, 01:51 PM
That's where you made a mistake.

When he asked if he could search the car, all you had to do was say NO. It's YOUR property, and if they want to search it, they need a warrant, but you gave consent so you f*cked up.

tylersloan
12-22-10, 02:08 PM
that sucks man i had the same thing happen to me a few years ago . first off never let them search your car and second kick your friends butt for having that in your car !
i dont have a problem with people that smoke i use to my self but after i was caught with 3 1/2 lbs. i quit and my number one rule is my friends that smoke i dont take them to get it and they dont ride dirty in my cars .

ben.gators
12-22-10, 02:10 PM
i love the look of tinted windows on these cars, especially black... basically, here's my rules for dealing with cops: 1: be polite. even if they're being dicks to you, always be polite. 2: know your rights and exercise them. You didn't need to consent to a search, you can respectfully decline or ask what the reason for wanting to search your car is. 3: if they are harassing you like it sounds, get badge numbers and report them. I don't know about the laws where you live, but in Maine you have to have papers for your tinted windows. If you don't have papers, your car doesn't pass inspection and you can't drive it. If your inspection is good and you had tint on at the time of your last inspection then the inspection station didn't do their job...

:yeah:
AND never ever let any person smokes or carries weed in your car!

Playdrv4me
12-22-10, 02:35 PM
I would replace the tint with the recommended 50/35 or whatever the tint shop says is legally close to that. I don't like the way the Fleetwoods look gangstered out with totally blacked out tint, but they do need a conservative amount.

Stingroo
12-22-10, 02:42 PM
Shenanigans. The darker the better.

durrk johnson
12-22-10, 04:26 PM
Well, I wasnt going to gave consent, and they said they had probable cause to search because of my tinted windows.

ga_etc
12-22-10, 04:40 PM
Sound like a bunch of crap, but the #1 rule with cops is to stay calm and be polite. If you're fidgety or mouthy they will either get suspicious or pissy. Either way, you lose.

As far as whether or not to put tint back on, with your local law I would say no. 50% on the front is really too light to even bother with. You'll just barely be able to tell there's any one there, so it's a waste of money to me. And with no tint on the front it's going to look stupid with tint just on the back.

I had a similar experience with the '98 Camaro I had, only I didn't get arrested. They're already got you for it once, so they know the car. If you don't correct it to their satisfaction they will continuously give you hell about it. Take it off, drive like you always have, and smile at them when you pass just to irritate them.

MauiV
12-22-10, 07:24 PM
Tint. Never roll in a fish bowl.

And NEVER get into a pissing contest with a badge and a gun. You cant win.

durrk johnson
12-22-10, 08:42 PM
Tint. Never roll in a fish bowl.

And NEVER get into a pissing contest with a badge and a gun. You cant win.

Do you think I should just get like 50% all around? Wouldnt at least a light tint look better than no tint?

MauiV
12-22-10, 09:32 PM
ANY tint (except color or silver) looks better than none

1980coupe
12-22-10, 09:38 PM
I like the dark tint but if you keep it or whether you decide to remove and change it they'll probably still f*ck with you because they already know the car and I bet within the department they all know your car. So everytime they see you, they'll might just pull you over "just because"
Here in El Paso, you can have the limo tint on all rear windows, with the exception of the two front and of course the windshield. On my car, personally I do not like the tint at all.

Ranger
12-22-10, 11:10 PM
If you decline to give consent they know (or at least think) you have something to hide. You'll just make them jump through a hoop and piss'em off, but it's like poking a pit bull with a stick, you're gonna get bit. You won't turn a wheel until they get the warrant and do the search. As mentioned, you can't win.

Tint (especially that dark) is just a cop magnet. Do yourself a favor and just remove it. It'll make your life easier.

billc83
12-22-10, 11:26 PM
"Basically I was a dick to them because I thought I wasnt doing anything wrong." - This is where your entire interaction went wrong. If you had been low profile and polite you wouldn't be in this situation.

Jesda
12-23-10, 02:17 AM
1. Stay calm
2. Consent to NOTHING
3. Stay calm

Eventually the cop will get bored and tell you to leave.

Aron9000
12-23-10, 03:33 AM
"Basically I was a dick to them because I thought I wasnt doing anything wrong." - This is where your entire interaction went wrong. If you had been low profile and polite you wouldn't be in this situation.

:werd: Never be a dick to a cop, he'll be a dick right back and has the power to arrest you. I've gotten out of two tickets because I was honest and humble. 1st one was powersliding around a right hand turn at a major intersection in my old Z28 a few years ago. Cop was in an unmarked cruiser on the other side of the intersection at 2:00am, I didn't notice, he was the only other car on the road. I just felt like letting a little steam off and decided to floor it and get sideways around that turn.

I do the deed, leave a nice big cloud of smoke, blue lights come on. He walks up to the car, and asks:
Officer: "What in the hell are you doing???"
Me: "Driving like a jackass, sorry man"
Officer:"You been drinking???"
Me :"No sir."(truth)
Officer:"What are you doing out at this hour?"
Me :"Coming home from a friend's house, I live at the apartments up the street."
Officer:"Let me see your liscence and registration"
I give that to him, he checks it, and comes back to the car.
Officer:"Sir, just quit driving like a jackass, be safe, and go home."
Me :"Yes sir, thank you officer."

He just handed me back my id and paperwork, just casually walked off after chewing me out. If I had been a dick, no doubt he would've given me a wreckless driving ticket, done a field sobriety test, and maybe arrested me just for the hell of it since it was a slow Monday night.

durrk johnson
12-23-10, 12:48 PM
:werd: Never be a dick to a cop, he'll be a dick right back and has the power to arrest you. I've gotten out of two tickets because I was honest and humble. 1st one was powersliding around a right hand turn at a major intersection in my old Z28 a few years ago. Cop was in an unmarked cruiser on the other side of the intersection at 2:00am, I didn't notice, he was the only other car on the road. I just felt like letting a little steam off and decided to floor it and get sideways around that turn.

I do the deed, leave a nice big cloud of smoke, blue lights come on. He walks up to the car, and asks:
Officer: "What in the hell are you doing???"
Me: "Driving like a jackass, sorry man"
Officer:"You been drinking???"
Me :"No sir."(truth)
Officer:"What are you doing out at this hour?"
Me :"Coming home from a friend's house, I live at the apartments up the street."
Officer:"Let me see your liscence and registration"
I give that to him, he checks it, and comes back to the car.
Officer:"Sir, just quit driving like a jackass, be safe, and go home."
Me :"Yes sir, thank you officer."

He just handed me back my id and paperwork, just casually walked off after chewing me out. If I had been a dick, no doubt he would've given me a wreckless driving ticket, done a field sobriety test, and maybe arrested me just for the hell of it since it was a slow Monday night.

Well, I was a dick, because they were super-apprehensive right away for no reason, and they thought I was parking my car and getting out to "hide evidence." When in fact I was getting out because I was right in front of my house, I just got off work, and I didnt know they were behind me. I was a dick because i asked what he pulled me over for and he said for my tint, when i was parked, in front of my home. I was a dick because he was trying to use his badge as an ego boost.

Stingroo
12-23-10, 12:50 PM
Well he did, and he won.

Hopefully you wrote his badge number down, otherwise, ehhh....

Ranger
12-23-10, 10:12 PM
A badge and a gun trumps all else. Right or wrong, they always win.

Destroyer
12-24-10, 09:41 PM
I personally like the look of tinted windows. I am in Florida though, I like the functionality of tint as well. :thumbsup:

Stingroo
12-24-10, 09:44 PM
I'm not alone! Finally. :thumbsup:

Ranger
12-24-10, 09:51 PM
It's not the looks, likability or functionality that are in question here.

Destroyer
12-24-10, 10:01 PM
It's not the looks, likability or functionality that are in question here.Ok, what is in question then?:confused:

Ranger
12-24-10, 10:59 PM
"Should I get new lighter tint? Or keep none at all?"

cadillac kevin
12-24-10, 11:11 PM
strip the front windows and leave the rear and back alone. I dont know what the laws are around there, but here (missouri) I have 90% on the back glass of my wagon. it looks pretty cool and I've never been harassed because of it.
and never be a dick to a cop and never let them search your car. it is your right to deny a search without a warrant.

Ranger
12-24-10, 11:25 PM
never let them search your car. it is your right to deny a search without a warrant.
What's the point? They're gonna search it. It's just a matter of how long it takes and how much you are willing to be inconvenienced until they do.

Stingroo
12-24-10, 11:57 PM
I'll have to respectfully disagree, Ranger. I've been in that situation before. I think it throws some cops off when they get someone who even has any sort of clue what their rights are. A cop who stopped me on my way home from school with my car full of stuff once told me he had to search the car because it was suspicious. I locked the doors and assured him there was nothing illegal in the car. He asked for my license, which I gave to him and he went back to his cruiser. He then came out and insisted on searching, and I respectfully said that I wasn't okay with him searching the car without probable cause or a warrant. He went back to the cruiser again, and came back with my license, gave it to me, and let me go.

It's all in how you deal with them. They're just people like you and me.

billc83
12-25-10, 05:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yvmuGSQJ8

Ranger
12-25-10, 08:36 PM
He then came out and insisted on searching, and I respectfully said that I wasn't okay with him searching the car without probable cause or a warrant. He went back to the cruiser again, and came back with my license, gave it to me, and let me go.
Actually, I'm surprised to hear that. Once you decline, it's human nature to assume you have something to hide. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Stingroo
12-25-10, 08:58 PM
Honestly, I just didn't want to sit there and have to unload and reload an entire wagon full of stuff. :lol:

Ranger
12-25-10, 09:04 PM
Can't fault you for that. I'm just really surprised that you didn't have to do it anyway.

Stingroo
12-25-10, 09:07 PM
I was too. I put on my super-nice-gai hat that day.

I then proceeded to throw it away. :lol:

Rolex
12-26-10, 11:34 AM
I'm curious what you need prescription marijuana for at your age?

You consented to a search and they found drugs in your car. You're marked now. Expect to be stopped for every small violation they can possibly stop you for from now on. If I were you I'd make regular walk around inspections on my vehicle to ensure there are no lights burned out or broken. I'd also pay careful attention to my speed and make dang sure I came to a complete stop at stop signs and lights, using proper turn signals at the same. Oh I'd also stop keeping any quantity of illegal drugs in your car or allowing "your friends" to do the same.

And to your question: I'd strip all the dark tint off and have the car professionally tinted as dark as the state law allowed.

durrk johnson
12-26-10, 06:10 PM
Hey thanks... And its not legal in my state even for medicinal use, but I self-medicate with mj to help with Anxiety/Depression issues that Ive had since I was a kid. When i was younger, they had me on meds, but they didnt work, and I found that mj is pretty much the only thing that keeps me level headed.

durrk johnson
12-26-10, 06:19 PM
And Im pretty pissed about this possession charge crap. It WASN'T my weed. Im not dumb.

Its going to **** up my bartending license, and also yes, have cops pull me over all of the time.

Rolex
12-26-10, 06:37 PM
Hey thanks... And its not legal in my state even for medicinal use, but I self-medicate with mj to help with Anxiety/Depression issues that Ive had since I was a kid. When i was younger, they had me on meds, but they didnt work, and I found that mj is pretty much the only thing that keeps me level headed.

And Im pretty pissed about this possession charge crap. It WASN'T my weed. Im not dumb.

Its going to **** up my bartending license, and also yes, have cops pull me over all of the time.

Yup :rolleyes:

jayoldschool
12-27-10, 03:01 PM
Let's see...
illegal tint: check
mouthing off to cops: check
admitted use of illegal substance: check
illegal substance found in car: check

Yes, I would say that you can expect cops to be on the lookout for you. I have always found that it is easy to stay away from cops. Don't break the law ;)

Rolex
12-27-10, 03:09 PM
Let's see...
illegal tint: check
mouthing off to cops: check
admitted use of illegal substance: check
illegal substance found in car: check

Yes, I would say that you can expect cops to be on the lookout for you. I have always found that it is easy to stay away from cops. Don't break the law ;)

Yup. :rolleyes:

durrk johnson
12-28-10, 12:08 PM
I never admitted to them that I used. I told them it wasnt mine, and it wasnt mine.

They were unnecessarily apprehensive so of course I wasn't too pleased when they stopped me for tint when I was already parked and out of the car, in front of my home.

dkozloski
12-31-10, 05:14 AM
For some goofy reason offenders seem to think that if they make it home that there is some kind of "King's-X" rule that provides sanctuary. I don't know how many OJ chases I've seen on the "Cops" programs where some drunk or druggy just keeps plodding along towards home and makes it with a dozen cops folowing him and is amazed when they throw the cuffs on him and drag him off to the bucket. It's wise to remember that the police deal with the dumbest 1% of the public on a regular basis and everybody else seems immune.

delaford321
12-31-10, 12:26 PM
Does a tint exist that's like those sun glasses, where if you walk out into the sun they get dark but when you're inside it goes away? That was a good scientific development.

Rolex
12-31-10, 02:17 PM
I never admitted to them that I used. I told them it wasnt mine, and it wasnt mine.

They were unnecessarily apprehensive so of course I wasn't too pleased when they stopped me for tint when I was already parked and out of the car, in front of my home.

Any cop that's not apprehensive on a traffic stop is asking to get killed. I'm no police apologizer but I'm smart enough to understand that when a cop pulls someone over they approach with the mentality that they will be greeted with violence. I imagine until they find otherwise they don't let their guard down. And if you try to get an attitude with a cop they will use their authority/power to remind you who's boss. That's a fact.

This guy was being pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. BFD right?
Notice the cop's casual tone of voice when he says "pulling a gun or something here."
GRAPHIC VID:
TFPDeiQFfZs

With respect to this video I don't mean to criticize the cop (RIP). I'm no cop and no legal expert but I have to say if I was a cop and pulled that old man over, the second I saw him reaching for a rifle I would have started dumping magazines at him. The cop gave him several verbal commands while the man was pointing a rifle directly at him. :pwn: This cop lacked the combat mindset he needed to survive. When you're confronted by a man with a rifle, and all you have is a handgun, you're probably going to lose that fight. Rifle > handgun every time. If you find yourself in that situation, my advice is to start shooting early and don't stop until you're out of ammo. Don't waste your time yelling at the guy with the rifle to drop his gun.

ben.gators
12-31-10, 02:47 PM
^
What is happening there? Does the poor cop get killed? and why after the backup forces arrived they did nothing and the guy was holding his rifle and moving around?

Playdrv4me
12-31-10, 05:33 PM
What a strange situation. The old man was obviously completely delusional, meds, etc. I guess the loss of control point starts right from the very beginning with the officer who pulled him over. You would think the backup teams would have just emptied several rounds into him after telling him to put the rifle down but I suppose in sleepy Kyle, TX they aren't used to this sort of thing.

The whole situation is just so surreal... It's like one of those opening scenes in a film where they're playing some obscure '60s country song in the background while some dude is casually emptying a large weapon of some sort in slow motion. At the very least the first officer should have just ducked behind the dashboard, put it in Drive and plowed forward at some point. The guy wasn't moving all that fast.

EChas3
12-31-10, 06:23 PM
strip the front windows and leave the rear and back alone. I dont know what the laws are around there, but here (missouri) I have 90% on the back glass of my wagon. it looks pretty cool and I've never been harassed because of it.
and never be a dick to a cop and never let them search your car. it is your right to deny a search without a warrant.

Unfortunately, I agree. The car looks great with the dark tint. My STS came from the factory with some, probably conforming coast-to-coast. It helps keep the car cool, too. I haven't added more because I don't like the look of different tints front and rear and I want to stay within the law. But on the limo-like car pictured, it's not so bad.

I understand why tint laws are enacted and enforced. When approaching a car like this, you have no idea what someone might have pointed at you. It's not just in major-metro's where gun violence is out of control.

It's not paranoia when people really are out to get you!

Rusty058
12-31-10, 07:17 PM
^
What is happening there? Does the poor cop get killed? and why after the backup forces arrived they did nothing and the guy was holding his rifle and moving around?

Sounds like the cop had no pulse,right at the end of the video,someone says just that.I have dark windows and if I were to get pulled over I would just open all the windows,problem solved!

orconn
12-31-10, 07:28 PM
Sounds like the cop had no pulse,right at the end of the video,someone says just that.I have dark windows and if I were to get pulled over I would just open all the windows,problem solved!

Yeah, unless the officer interpreted the opening of the rear windows as a precursor to a guy firing from the back seat!

Rusty058
12-31-10, 10:12 PM
Yeah, unless the officer interpreted the opening of the rear windows as a precursor to a guy firing from the back seat!

Believe me my hands will be very visable

Playdrv4me
01-01-11, 02:18 AM
Can't stand thugalo blacked out tint. I see it on a Fleetwood and immediately think "gangster" and "drugs". Whether or not I'm jumping to conclusions, you can bet your ass this is the exact thought process of a cop. It creates a safety hazard looking out, it makes the car look like a Matchbox toy, and it invites pull overs galore. Some tint is necessary, but the blacked out shit is overkill. I have even known idiots to tint the WINDSHIELD with that crap. Might be acceptable on a monotone vehicle, like a black or grey STS-V, but on a chromed out Fleetwood it just looks silly.

mamawseldorado
01-06-11, 03:05 AM
I can't believe some of the advice in this thread that you basically have no rights and have to consent to their search. What a bunch of nonsense. Its particularly disturbing that this advice is coming from older members of the forum? What is the lesson to be learned by the younger generation? That we cannot stand up for our constitutional rights? If they cannot visibly see or smell anything illegal then they have no probable cause and cannot search without either a warrant or your permission. Do you really think they are going to bother a judge and go through all of that trouble? Unless you are a well known criminal in the area it is highly unlikely. They do however have the right to call the dogs in. With this you risk your car being scratched up.

Something a lot of people don't think about is the majority of cops hate having to go to court and testifying. I don't know about other states, but in mine ANYTIME you appeal a citation the cop must show up and testify if it goes before a judge. I have literally got out of a ticket before by simply telling the cop that if he writes it I WILL appeal it. However I wasn't rude or obnoxious telling him this, but was respectful as could be in the situation and most importantly calm.

In other situations I have declined searches even at the age of 16 and therefore wasn't searched. I tend to get threatened a search every few years as I look even younger than my age of 28 and tend to drive cars that these cops will likely never be able to afford. I have declined numerous searches and every time I declined I never ended up getting searched.

There is only one time I have consented to a search and regret it. The only reason I consented was because I knew I had nothing illegal as I do nothing illegal in regards to drugs, but my insurance had not been paid up to date at the time. I didn't want him to start questioning me about insurance so I just did as he asked. In the end he ended up literally rubbing my balls checking for drugs/weapons and was taking apart my dash and console for 30 minutes. As a man I didn't realize it was even possible to be violated like this by another male officer. His fellow officer had me standing next to the police cruiser practically interrogating me and wondering where I worked to afford such a nice car. He was basically implying I must be a drug dealer. The plates said alumni right on them so it was clear I was a college graduate. The funny thing is this was 2009 and it was a 2000 STS that I probably had $6000 invested in with the rims and all. I guess the police are really underpaid these days.

Rules to dealing with cops
1. Remain calm
2. Speak in an intellectual manner
3. Be direct, assertive, and let them understand you know your rights
4. NEVER consent to a search
5. Don't do anything illegal in the first place

Stingroo
01-06-11, 08:06 AM
#5 should be #1 on that list.

But I'll freely admit that I speed like a mf'er. :lol:

Rolex
01-06-11, 09:16 AM
I can't believe some of the advice in this thread that you basically have no rights and have to consent to their search. What a bunch of nonsense.........

Um yeah...about that:

2: know your rights and exercise them. You didn't need to consent to a search...

That's where you made a mistake.
When he asked if he could search the car, all you had to do was say NO.....

.....first off never let them search your car.....

1. Stay calm
2. Consent to NOTHING
3. Stay calm

.....never let them search your car. it is your right to deny a search without a warrant.

RIF. Carry on.

Stingroo
01-06-11, 10:48 AM
Yay I got quoted! I feel included.

(I'm bored. :()

mamawseldorado
01-06-11, 03:41 PM
I can't believe some of the advice in this thread that you basically have no rights and have to consent to their search.

Um yeah...about that:

RIF. Carry on.

How about those Buckeyes? :bouncy:

Rolex
01-06-11, 06:34 PM
How about those Buckeyes? :bouncy:

Aren't you cute. :thepan:

mamawseldorado
01-10-11, 04:46 AM
Here is a good video series about how to deal with search issues and some of the negative repercussions that can happen even if you are innocent. Its in 4 parts. You have to watch past the first few minutes to realize its not a ghetto rap video. A former judge and criminal defense attorney gives some really good information throughout it, but you have to deal with some bad acting in the choreographed scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrbNLt7Om8&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=PL1B0B357282389571

Its produced by flexyourrights.org