: 2003 high RPM

sams2100
12-21-10, 04:51 PM
About a week ago, when its a freezing morning, the escalade would always idle very rough with RPMs surging up and down and sometimes stalling the engine. After about 15 minutes it settled down and worked perfect for the rest of the day. I pulled the codes and got, P0101, P0171, and P0174, which says the MAF sensor is having some sort of issue and banks 1 and 2 are both registering lean fuel/air mix.

So I replaced the MAF sensor and cleaned out the throttle body. Now on cold mornings, it always idles very high, usually around 1500 to 2000 RPMs, and you have to hold the brake down or else it will take off all the way up to about 25 or 30 mph without even touching the gas. It still sometimes will idle very low and stall the engine. As before, after about 10 or 15 minutes of warming up, it settles down and works great for the rest of the day.

The only thing I can think of at this point (and I'm by far no expert) is that maybe that alternate valve control near the throttle body that is used to let air in when idling and during a cold start, is possibly getting stuck or having issues when its cold.

Any other ideas as to what might cause this?

sams2100
12-28-10, 10:48 PM
I fixed this problem. In case anyone else has the same issue, it turned out to be a bad intake manifold gasket. Got a new OEM one from the dealership and changed it out. Now its running perfect.