: Add remote start to BASE model?

SomeGuyNamedJay
12-21-10, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know of any good solutions to add remote start to the base model? My dealership says it can't be done, but they seem inept.

sube5186
12-21-10, 04:13 PM
I don't see a GM remote starter accessory listed anywhere. You can always get a remote starter installed by a third party. However, based on my experiences I can't recommend it. I had a dealer install one in the wife's last car. They used original accessory parts. Worked great, except that they had to take the dash apart for the installation. In the process of reassembling it, they introduced all sorts of squeaks and rattles that they were never able to fix. Being used to a car that had previously been quiet, it became intolerable to drive. From that experience I learned to always only get a remote start installed at the factory.

Sube

SomeGuyNamedJay
12-21-10, 04:17 PM
Thanks Sube. I was worried you'd say that. I won't go in to how ticked off I am at GM for not allowing the option on the base model.

Or, maybe I will: I am ticked! Why the heck won't GM let me get this feature as an option just because I don't want their sunroof? Or better yet, why can't they make their car's fit taller Americans????? Germany does not seem to have this problem. /rant (smiley face)

Marc NY
12-21-10, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know of any good solutions to add remote start to the base model? My dealership says it can't be done, but they seem inept.You will probably have to go to an aftermarket dealer if your Cadillac dealer can't add that module to your SRX.

Have you ever wondered why all Cadillac's don't come with remote starters? I did and asked that question to one of the Cadillac executives and their reply was this.

"That GM had to provide at least one vehicle model without a remote starter in it because their are a number of gated communities that don't allow remote starters for environmental reasons."
:gah:

Go FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sube5186
12-21-10, 04:24 PM
GM had to provide at least one vehicle model without remote a starter in it because their are a number of gated communities that don't allow remote starters for environmental reasons."

WTF! That's bizarre. How the hell does that affect the environment?

Sube

Marc NY
12-21-10, 04:29 PM
WTF! That's bizarre. How the hell does that affect the environment?

SubeThat is an easy question to answer ... pollution pollution pollution! Also some Gated Communities also don't like the engine noises that a running car makes for an extended period of time unattended ... I would think that would apply more to a diesel.

sube5186
12-21-10, 04:35 PM
That is an easy question to answer ... pollution pollution pollution! Also some Gated Communities also don't like the engine noises that a running car makes for an extended period of time unattended ... I would think that would apply more to a diesel.

OK, I get it. But if you warm your car up while in the driver's seat, essentially isn't that the exact same thing. As far as engine noise, I've already walked away from my SRX not realizing the engine was still running. Enough said. :bouncy:

Sube

Marc NY
12-21-10, 04:41 PM
OK, I get it. But if you warm your car up while in the driver's seat, essentially isn't that the exact same thing. As far as engine noise, I've already walked away from my SRX not realizing the engine was still running. Enough said. :bouncy:

SubeSube you are right and I agree with your theories here ... that is one reason why I had to go to the top of Cadillac to get that answer... one executive at our plant had a base model Cadillac and he was pissed too because it didn't have a remote starter on it! I agreed with him and told him I would try and find out why that was the case... 3 days later I got an email from the top Cadillac guy who informed me that GM had to provide it for customers who didn't want to have to pay for an option that they were not allowed to use.

SomeGuyNamedJay
12-21-10, 04:41 PM
Interesting. Though that doesn't explain why they won't allow for the option.

You will probably have to go to an aftermarket dealer if your Cadillac dealer can't add that module to your SRX.

Have you ever wondered why all Cadillac's don't come with remote starters? I did and asked that question to one of the Cadillac executives and their reply was this.

"That GM had to provide at least one vehicle model without a remote starter in it because their are a number of gated communities that don't allow remote starters for environmental reasons."
:gah:

Go FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc NY
12-21-10, 04:58 PM
Interesting. Though that doesn't explain why they won't allow for the option.I do have an answer for that question however you will probably will not like the answer. *(I posted a couple of the reasons why GM makes a base model without a remote starter above)

The customers or dealerships who decide to order the base model should already be aware that they are not able to get the remote starter included with that base package. I believe if you had wanted the Remote Starter option you should have been told that first and then you would know to order or buy a higher level of trim to be able to have it.

SomeGuyNamedJay
12-21-10, 05:02 PM
I do have an answer for that question however you will probably will not like the answer. *(I posted a couple of the reasons why GM makes a base model without a remote starter above)

The customers or dealerships who decide to order the base model should already be aware that they are not able to get the remote starter included with that base package. I believe if you had wanted the Remote Starter option you would have to know that you need to order a higher level of trim to get it.

Right but "higher level of trim" = "height limiting sunroof." Instead of me paying for some options, they only got $31,800, so neither I nor they, win.

Marc NY
12-21-10, 05:12 PM
Right but "higher level of trim" = "height limiting sunroof." Instead of me paying for some options, they only got $31,800, so neither I nor they, win.Unfortunately you are one of the 5% of Cadillac buyers who fall into that category. I don't know how tall you are but I am almost 6'3" and fit fine with the sunroof in my SRX.

I agree with you that GM should have made the Remote starter an option on the base model. This way for customers who don't want the sun roof for whatever reason can get the base with the remote starter.

sube5186
12-21-10, 05:51 PM
Jay, I'm assuming you already dropped the seat down as low as it will go. When I first got into the SRX I thought, "No way. Not enough head room." Then I dropped the seat bottom all of the way down. Voila....plenty of head room, even with the moonroof. I'm 6' 4", but I have to confess. Most of my height is in my legs.

Sube

SomeGuyNamedJay
12-21-10, 05:57 PM
Jay, I'm assuming you already dropped the seat down as low as it will go. When I first got into the SRX I thought, "No way. Not enough head room." Then I dropped the seat bottom all of the way down. Voila....plenty of head room, even with the moonroof. I'm 6' 4", but I have to confess. Most of my height is in my legs.

Sube

Yeah, I am 6'4" as well, but more evenly distributed I guess. The front was close but the back was ridiculously low. My brother and his wife are also both tall, and we go out a lot together. I love the styling of the car, but it certainly defines "form over function."

Fortunately it is my wife's car. I will be sticking to German engineering until the domestics decide that they can accommodate us 5%ers.

stevec5375
12-21-10, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I am 6'4" as well, but more evenly distributed I guess. The front was close but the back was ridiculously low. My brother and his wife are also both tall, and we go out a lot together. I love the styling of the car, but it certainly defines "form over function."

Fortunately it is my wife's car. I will be sticking to German engineering until the domestics decide that they can accommodate us 5%ers.

I had to drop my front seat all the way down as well. But the other day I climbed into the back seat to clean the windows and suddenly was reminded that they don't move downward. I'm not all that tall (5' 11") but I'm long waisted. (TMI, I know.)

sube5186
12-21-10, 06:50 PM
The front was close but the back was ridiculously low.

Yeah, I agree. The rear seat head room isn't the greatest, although I can still sit back there with minimal head clearance. However, rear seat leg room is even worse. It's not bad if the front seats are not all of the way back (the way they are in my car). I guess GM didn't plan on the the driver, front seat passenger and rear seat passengers all being tall. If that's the case, I think they want you to buy an Escalade, which I never liked. One thing to note is that the rear seat backs do recline. If you haven't already done so, make sure they're all the way back. This will increase rear head room another inch or so.

Sube

Cooper10
12-21-10, 07:45 PM
Contact www.compustar.com and see if they have an auto start system compatible for the SRX, They also have extended range transmitters called Drone. I found this on a CTS forum

V8CADILLAC
12-21-10, 08:00 PM
im going to let bestbuy install a viper for 199+tax

2011_SRX
12-21-10, 11:56 PM
We own the 2011 Base SRX and like it very much. GM should consider offering a selection of electronic options such as the remote start and hands-free Bluetooth without forcing the buyer to pay for the unwanted sunroof option. I have owned three GM vehicles with the factory sunroof and purchased this Base model to avoid the sunroof. The GM cost for adding factory remote start and hands-free Bluetooth is probably minuscule for GM but I would have paid several hundred, (not several thousand) extra for the convenience. The parts for remote start and hands-free Bluetooth are on the shelf and the engineering is done so why does GM pass up the opportunity to make more money? The GM mentality for forcing expensive packages as the only means to acquire a few useful conveniences needs to change.

Smokin' SRX
12-29-10, 01:05 AM
You gave me a few chuckles, guys. I am average height, but my 6'2" buddy is all torso and hates the Srx, as well as most non-full sized autos of any brand. He leased an Escalade and loves it! Life is frustrating at times but I'd love to be you guys, at the Playhouse, when the big-headed woman sits in front of me. LOL

To the point........get an aftermarket Remote start installed by a REPUTABLE private shop. ( I wouldn't use the Dealers visiting guy, as all adjustments will have to be double-scheduled forever.) A good shop will charge about $475 for a great 2-WAY Remote with a 2,000 ft. range! Blows away the OEM range and confirms a "Start" when SRX is not even in sight, right on the remote! I recco the Directed Electronics brand equipment. )Viper/Xpress kit, etc) I was an auto alarm dealer some years ago, used their excellent stuff, and they still have the BEST support team for the Installer that I've ever seen. You will be happy. I have one in my 2009 Dodge work van and it's incredible. You can even use their Find a Dealer/Installer site! http://www.directed.com/Default.aspx The names and addresses are given so you can pass by to check 'em out first!

They now offer the 2011 type Remote Start (like newest Onstar revision #9 for 2011 only models) that can activate thru a Blackberry or IPhone, too. Worldwide control! That will cost more.

In all cases you will have to give them one of your 2 keys, to thoroughly hide under the dash (or have a spare made/programmed ) This is for the proximity sensors our security systems need to be convince that YOU are trying to start the SRX, not a screwdriver. I gave up one of mine as I use their Remote now. Ask your installer.

Pick a good shop and you'll be very satisfied. Good luck.

SS

SomeGuyNamedJay
01-03-11, 08:42 AM
This has to make it pretty easy for a thief to steal the car though, no?

Smokin' SRX
01-03-11, 01:17 PM
Good question! Basically, the new Remote start's CPU module, replaces the now-present key, as the primary, electronically encrypted Security device. Very tuff to crack (it's a rolling code tech)

In reality, most thieves today just flatbed or car-jack high-end autos they want to steal, with good security systems......

SS

SomeGuyNamedJay
01-04-11, 01:13 PM
Good info SS, thanks! Have you heard of any aftermarket solutions that also do proximity unlocking? I have done some research and have come up empty. Any idea why no one does this?

Smokin' SRX
01-13-11, 08:50 PM
you stumped me there. If it's done, Directed will do that also.....

SS

SomeGuyNamedJay
01-14-11, 09:34 AM
Crazy - you'd think the aftermarket companies would have this before OEMs. I called directed, they don't have anything "yet."