: it was bound to happen sooner or later

cadillac kevin
12-21-10, 03:12 PM
well, my fwb finally got christened, so to speak, on friday. :helpless: I was cut off by an old lady in a malibu. she hit my car from the right front wheel well forward. as we came out of a turn side by side (2 right turn lanes, I was in the left one, she was in the right), she cut over into my lane, hit me, ended up tearing up my chrome wheel well molding, caving in the fender, and scraping up my bumper, before shooting across 5 lanes of road and hitting the curb on the other side of the road. She ended up with a dent in her back door the size of the door itself several inches deep, and I'm sure some quarter panel and wheel damage (theres tire marks all over my fender). I thought I had gotten off pretty easy until I went to pull away. my transmission and engine dont mesh anymore, and it was all I could do to limp it to my mechanics (it was grinding and bucking all the way there doing 20 mph). I'm still waiting on the police report, since of course, the old lady who hit me is saying something entirely different than what happened. my mechanic said it could be anything, from a broken torque converter or clutch, to a sheared bolt or fluid leak. he said my car being brought to a stop during accelerating (since I was coming out of a turn) probably bound up something inside the transmission. If theres any bright side, its that I'm out of class until mid January, so I dont really have to drive anywhere.
the car is not going to the junkyard since I was in the middle of restoring it and I plan on continuing to restore it after I get the accident damage repaired.

outsider
12-21-10, 03:33 PM
that sucks! any pictures of the damage? sounds like she hit you pretty hard if it did that much damage!

Good luck with your repairs, if you need any parts post it in the parts thread and I'm sure someone here can help! :)

cadillac kevin
12-21-10, 04:36 PM
as for parts, insurance SHOULD cover them. if not, front end pieces for cadillacs fwb's are really easy to find (just not in the color I need). the right front bumper cap (chrome side piece) and rubber bumper trim will need to be replaced. the fender is pretty much toast -lower section looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it, the wheel well trim was ripped out of the fender (sheared screws) , and above the filler panel its pushed in pretty bad. amazingly the front clip wasnt touched, and the courtesy light is only scuffed (looks like someone took sandpaper to it) as for getting hit hard, not really, at least it didnt feel hard. she hit me sideways and kept turning and accelerating after she hit me, which caused her car to pivot on the corner of my bumper, turned her sideways to about a 30 to 45 degree angle relative to my front bumper. when my car slowed down about a second after the hit, she shot off across 5 lanes of road, hitting the curb on the other side of the road.
amazingly, the cadillac did not budge an inch sideways when it got hit, and getting hit felt like hitting a road bump. good ole american overengineering.

greencadillacmatt
12-22-10, 12:29 AM
I completely thought you meant something else when you said "christened" in the first line. :hide: That really sucks that the car got smashed. Was there a clunk or knocking noise when you would drive it? If so, it might be the flexplate to torque converter connection. Good luck with fixing her up. As mentioned before, post in the Parts Wanted thread for what you need. We're here to help!