: Opera web browser freezing

brougham96
12-20-10, 10:37 PM
Something on this site is freezing Opera version 11. Everytime I open any page on this site, the browser freezes and has to be force closed. It is happenening on both my office computer running XP and my home computer running Windows 7.

I have posted to the Opera forum as well:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=851462

drewsdeville
12-21-10, 05:53 PM
Yup, same here. As soon as I upgraded to 11, couldn't access the site. Surfing since Opera 11 came out, this is the only site that it has a problem with.

I haven't been visiting the site since it happened, as I'm not willing to switch browsers in order to do so. The only reason I was able to respond to this post is because Firefox 4 b8 was released and I'm temporarily testing it. Obviously, it works fine here.

JimHare
01-17-11, 06:57 PM
+1 on DrewsDeville post - I hadn't been here for a while then back in December or so I noticed that the site completely freezes Opera (which I'd been using for years). FF is how I'm in now but I don't like it. I don't know if it's the ads (which I highly suspect) or what. This seems to be the only place that does that, and I browse all over the place. I know that Opera and poorly written pages and mini-apps don't get along nicely but this stinks. Don't the authors of this crap test under the different browsers? At least the top five or so?

Jesda
01-19-11, 11:11 PM
Mac Opera 11 works
Windows Opera 11 freezes

It doesnt load far enough to tell what causes it, so I'm stumped. Could be ads, could be the way O11 is handling a script, who knows.

drewsdeville
01-20-11, 10:58 AM
Opera on Ubuntu works as well.

Lord Cadillac
01-27-11, 11:29 PM
It could be the ads and it could be the fact that our forum software is very highly modified... Either way, it sucks and I hope a future update fixes the problem...

Jesda
02-06-11, 05:21 AM
Opera 11.01 update came out yesterday but the problem remains. I'm 99% sure the browser is handling something poorly since its the only piece of software that can't browse this site. I'm going to futz around with the settings later in the week. Mac and mobile versions still work.

drewsdeville
02-06-11, 01:06 PM
I also tried configuring it, from disabling javascript to progressively blocking individual objects. Lost interest quickly. My main machine is linux powered, where Opera works, so the concern wasn't great enough to hold my attention.

I thought Opera was the greatest thing ever back in the IE6 and FF1 & 2 days, but I've been losing faith as time goes on. The competition has caught up and surprassed Opera at this point, offering everything Opera does, sometimes even more. This will especially true with the upcoming FF4, IE9 and Chrome 9 releases. It's very unfortunate. Opera was always the most innovative browser. Oh well.

Still, I'm curious. Be sure to update if you find anything.

JimmyH
02-08-11, 02:08 PM
IE is a big fat turkey. Opera, FireFox and Chrome all look and perform identical to me. Safari renders the fastest, but after its inexplicable connection delay.

Jesda
02-10-11, 04:39 AM
It's very unfortunate. Opera was always the most innovative browser. Oh well.

I agree. It didn't gain features like extensions until VERY recently. I keep using it because its just a little bit slicker at rendering than Chrome, and on my XP netbook its the only thing that renders quickly without consuming excessive memory.

JimmyH
02-10-11, 04:53 PM
Jesda, what kind of netbook do you have? I have a little netbook tote and two 30w charges that will fit Dell or Asus that I don't need anymore.

Jesda
02-11-11, 02:35 AM
Lenovo S10. Thanks for the offer though!

dkozloski
02-11-11, 12:55 PM
IE8 in Win7 loads almost instantly and functions perfectly on this forum.

JimmyH
02-13-11, 08:20 PM
^you might be the only one

drewsdeville
03-19-11, 02:47 PM
Never had a problem with IE here either. The new IE9 works fantastic.

Relating to this thread, for whatever reasons, Opera on Windows now works on this site. I've been reading about the features that have been getting removed as of late, so I'm assuming one was causing a conflict of some sort.

Sammy22
03-29-11, 12:37 PM
Old thread but I've been putting off the new update of opera 11, I figured I liked the old one so why bother. Well I was in a good mood one morning and it popped up so I did it. And it now freezes the browser and I have to shut my computer off just to get it to close. This is the only site it does it.

Im using I9 which is much better than the first editon that came on my 4 year old laptop, but still doesnt come close to opera.

Jesda
03-29-11, 05:13 PM
Try the Opera 11.10 beta.