: Steering wheel switchs stick when cold

GREGB1954
12-20-10, 01:15 PM
Just picked upa 2006 STS N* 1SG and am loving it. I was surprised to find that it handles quite well in the snow even though it is RWD. Not sure about the ice yet.

When it is below about 25 degrees the switches on the steering wheel are hard to work. I am afraid I am going to break them. Anyone else have the problem and hopefully a resolution?

Thx.

dkozloski
12-20-10, 10:23 PM
Somebody must have poured soda pop into it. I drive my '06 V8 AWD STS in -50F weather and the switches work just fine. About all you can do to fix it is to take it off and rinse the foodstuffs out of it.

next2pool
12-22-10, 06:10 PM
Do you by any chance have a woodgrain "overlay" on the steering wheel shroud? Many people install these and they will shrink and interfere with the buttons when cold.

GREGB1954
12-22-10, 11:03 PM
No food substances nor overlays.

Anyone know how to take the switch assy off of the steering wheel (without destroying it of course)? I am thinking it might need a spot of grease.

sburgin
12-23-10, 10:59 AM
I have this problem as well with just one of my steering wheel switches. definitely tied to cold weather. not sure how to fix it either short of tearing wheel apart - something i'm not inclined to do with an airbag to consider.

GREGB1954
12-24-10, 10:18 AM
I have 2 weeks left on my factory warranty so I am going to take it in for them too fix. I would hate to get a bloody nose trying to pry off the switch assy only to have the airbag go off. I post what I find out.

tomm
12-24-10, 12:26 PM
They will probably just replace the switch for you if you still under warranty. I had one of the LED's on one of the buttons go out and they replaced the entire switch under warranty so I doubt you will have an issue.

doowap57
12-27-10, 10:44 PM
It it was me: I would approach the car, with WD-40 with straw attached,
and a couple or three of Bounty sheets, and gently squirt a little at the top,
and let it run down, cycling the switches constantly, to let the WD-40 work
into behind the switches. DO NOT overdue the squirt.:tisk:
Wipe up the excess. :thumbsup:
And squirt air freshener to overcome the smell of the WD-40. :thumbsup:
Which wears OFF in a couple of days, by itself.
Good Luck !

dkozloski
12-28-10, 04:12 PM
The switches on the rear seat climate control suddenly became sticky. A quick investigation revealed that a recent rear seat passenger had sneezed with a mouth full of Pepsi Cola. A little water in a squeeze bottle and a hair drier cleared the problem.