: Remote start range

HartfordGuy
12-20-10, 11:57 AM
So yesterday I was leaving work and decided to hit the button even though I was inside and separated from the car by a windowless brick wall and about 200 feet or more. The car started!

Normally I would have had to walk upstairs, across a hall, out the door, walk across the elevated roadway and aim the remote across the employee lot to see the lights come on. Needless to say I was impressed. :cloud9:

the older advert below speaks so well about how I feel about my drive home from work.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/3082435476_18320922c6_o.jpg

"The Cadillac Hour. In some ways, it's the best time of the day."

Superjim
12-20-10, 02:43 PM

I feel a lot that way about my Cadillac also. :)

I just got home from have it hand washed and hand waxed.
It seemed to ride and drive smoother on the way home. :D

I think it appreciated being all cleaned up.:cloud9:

HartfordGuy
12-20-10, 04:09 PM
LOL, I just got home from getting the DTS washed as well. It is 33 degrees here in CT today so I cheated and drove it to a touchless carwash. I hate running errands in a dirty car.

Superjim
12-20-10, 06:32 PM
LOL, I just got home from getting the DTS washed as well. It is 33 degrees here in CT today so I cheated and drove it to a touchless carwash. I hate running errands in a dirty car.

It was a beautiful day here in Fort Worth TX. :) :thumbsup:

82 degrees and bright sunshine...
Great weather for December, but is is supposed to turn cold by Thursday with temps dropping to the mid 20's. :(

tedcmiller
12-20-10, 08:15 PM
The thread was started with a comment about the range of "remote start," and all the responders can talk about is the weather.

Mark58
12-20-10, 08:49 PM
The thread was started with a comment about the range of "remote start," and all the responders can talk about is the weather.

OK,,,back on the subject LOL
I guess I should change my remote battery because I need to be within 20 ft before my remote works.

Superjim
12-20-10, 09:43 PM

He made a "STATEMENT" about the range of his remote...
Then he was talking about the way he feels when driving his Cadillac.
I don't remember any request for comment from others about the range of their remotes...

SO.......what's the problem????
Or maybe I missed something????

Jim

PS:..to satisfy Ted...my remote has real good range. :)

Rusty058
12-20-10, 11:00 PM

I feel a lot that way about my Cadillac also. :)

I just got home from have it hand washed and hand waxed.
It seemed to ride and drive smoother on the way home. :D

I think it appreciated being all cleaned up.:cloud9:

I thought I was the only one who felt that way but I can see I'm not alone.As for the R/S range,I was in the stands during a Thanksgiving morning high school football game last month and started my car from 250 yds away with clear line of sight

HartfordGuy
12-21-10, 07:39 AM
Thanks Jim and Rusty. Many times I can remote start my car beyond the range specified in the manual. I almost wonder if they intentionally under quoted the range as to make us feel better when it exceeds it? LOL

Superjim
12-21-10, 09:00 AM
Thanks Jim and Rusty. Many times I can remote start my car beyond the range specified in the manual. I almost wonder if they intentionally under quoted the range as to make us feel better when it exceeds it? LOL

I have not actually "CHECKED" the range on mine...but basically ...if I can see it...I can start it..
Coming out of the mall...it can be parked "WAY OUT YONDER" and I can start it so it is nice and comfy when we get in.

I love my Cadillac... :) :)

Jim

USSBlackPearlUSMC
12-27-10, 09:31 PM
When I dock my ship on the bay, Im guessing around 200 for mine, not sure, in a building, depending on what im around, it usually does too, unless its next to me cell phone, then it just wont work. ALSO (WARNING OFF TOPIC), A cell phone will also disable a card to a hotel room.

billdaman
12-29-10, 07:42 PM
From at least 300 feet away on a 30' high elevated walkway enclosed with double pane glass, I started my Cadillac which was parked in the visitors parking lot.

V8CADILLAC
01-01-11, 05:06 PM
I have the 5591 viper remote start and I get 1mile I can start my srx in the mall and it sends me a signal back tellin me ya car is running pretty cool all for 450$

rjm
01-03-11, 11:24 AM
Advert still relevant 30 years on, just add: "while XM soothes your ears, activate seat massage to rub the days tensions away," "don't worry if it begins to rain, with Rainsense and wiper activated headlamps you'll always see your way clear," "don't worry about other drivers who aren't fortunate enough to experience the Cadillac Hour, side blind zone alert will make you aware of their presence," "you'll look upon even the shortest if journeys as a pleasure when you take the wheel and make any hour the Cadillac Hour."

Cadillac is using the "standard of the world" tagline again, but I wish they'd never neglected the DTS and not only would we be driving "the standard of the world," but driving "THE CAR OF CARS"!

Back to remote start, since Dec. had been so unusually cold here in the south, was coming out of movie and as luck would have it, I parked at opposite end of theatre but decided to try start as I stood, and it worked! Really surprised me considering its and 18 theatre multiplex inside the mall!

creepingdeath
12-28-11, 09:27 PM
I'm disappointed with the range of my remote start. It seems if there is another car next to mine or even a telephone pole in the way, the car doesn't want to start remotely. It'll start from about 20' away and only if there isn't anything near it. I did replace the key fob battery earlier in the year and didn't notice any improved results. I had a Viper remote start for my old minivan that could start it through windowless brick walls.

HartfordGuy
12-28-11, 09:56 PM
I'm disappointed with the range of my remote start. It seems if there is another car next to mine or even a telephone pole in the way, the car doesn't want to start remotely. It'll start from about 20' away and only if there isn't anything near it. I did replace the key fob battery earlier in the year and didn't notice any improved results. I had a Viper remote start for my old minivan that could start it through windowless brick walls.

Hmm, if the battery is new then it must be the antenna (receiver) on the car. My remote will send the signal thru windowless brick walls and some distance too.

I am not sure where the antenna is however. Maybe Mr.Rippy can help?

ogbuehi
12-29-11, 07:44 AM
I truly believe your car "appreciates" being cleaned. I'm just thankful I can keep one of them in a garage so I don't have to wash both. Especially since the weather here prevents me from hand washing many of the days. If you want to improve the range of your remote start to 1000 miles or more, get the onstar app. I just check the weather from wherever and start it as necessary without having to even see the car. Also great when I'm out of town on business for an extended period of time. I can start the car occasionally to keep the oil flowing once in awhile.

HartfordGuy
12-29-11, 07:49 AM
Ooooo! That's right! If you have an i-phone you can remote start your car via satellite! How cool is that?

ogbuehi
12-29-11, 08:26 PM
Android phones are part of the party as well.

creepingdeath
12-30-11, 09:56 PM
That's the way to go. The OnStar app. Does it work with the '06 DTS? I'm assuming you need to subscribe to OnStar for it to work. Now I just have to get an iPhone or an Android phone.

5.0 lsc
01-03-12, 12:05 AM
X2 for me....a fresh battery didn't help for me...I might put a 2 way viper in as well

creepingdeath
01-03-12, 09:33 AM
I replaced the battery in my key fob and still no noticeable improvement. I like to find out where the antenna/receiver is located. Maybe I can add a CB radio antenna to it.

Phatalac
01-03-12, 06:16 PM
TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 07-08-52-001C

Date: August 27, 2009

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters)
Models:
2006-2007 Buick Lucerne
2006-2007 Cadillac DTS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-52-001B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Important
This bulletin does not apply to vehicles built after the following dates:
- DTS / Lucerne: 5/1/07
- Impala / Monte Carlo: 3/1/07

For vehicles built after these dates, refer to SI for diagnosis and repair information.

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:
- The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.
- The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.
- The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.
- The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and/or Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause

Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM.

Important
- The 2006 and 2007 Impala LS without AP8 does not have a coax antenna.
- The 2006 and 2007 Lucerne without AP3 or AP8 does not have a coax antenna.

1. Replace the RCDLR module and the RCDLR antenna using the following procedure:

Impala / Monte Carlo
1. Remove the driver's side "A" pillar molding and I/P closeout panel.
2. Unplug the speaker.
3. To expose the RCDLR antenna, partially remove the driver's side upper I/P closeout panel (near windshield).
4. Remove the clips holding the RCDLR antenna wire at the RCDLR module and along the "A" pillar.
5. Cut the old RCDLR antenna wire a minimum of 152 mm (6 in) from the button (connecting to the windshield), leaving that portion of the old RCDLR antenna connected to the windshield.
6. Remove the I/P carrier bolt and remove the old RCDLR antenna.
7. Remove the RCDLR module.
8. Install the new RCDLR module.
9. Lay in the new RCDLR antenna and reinstall the carrier bolt.
10. Connect the new antenna to the RCDLR antenna module.
11. Clip the new RCDLR antenna into place using the existing holes on the "A" pillar.
12. Reinstall the I/P close-out panel.
13. Reconnect the speaker wire.

Important
Be sure that the end of the old RCDLR antenna is tucked behind the "A" pillar molding. The button on the windshield is no longer functional, however leaving the cover on the button will provide a cleaner look to the vehicle.

14. Reinstall the "A" pillar molding and I/P side closeout panel.

DTS
1. Remove the rear seat cushion.
2. Remove the rear seat back.
3. Lower and remove the trunk trim cover to gain access to the underside of the rear package shelf.
4. Remove the rear seat belts.
5. Remove the interior C-pillar trim (sail) panels and package shelf.
6. Remove the RCDLR module and antenna.
Tip
The existing antenna is grounded into another wiring harness. It will be necessary to pull the existing harness and antenna up near the C-pillar in order to disconnect the antenna from the other wiring harness.

Important
The new antenna will not be grounded into the other wiring harness.

7. Install a new RCDLR module and antenna.
8. Tape back the harness ground connection.
9. Reinstall the rear package shelf.
10. Reinstall the interior C-pillar trim (sail) panels.
11. Reinstall the rear seat belts.
12. Reinstall the trunk trim cover.
13. Reinstall the rear seat back.
14. Reinstall the rear seat cushion.

Lucerne
1. Remove left rear C-pillar trim (sail) panel.
2. Remove the RCDLR antenna and receiver/module (located under the shelf package - accessed through the trunk).
Tip
The existing antenna is grounded into another wiring harness. It will be necessary to pull the existing harness and antenna up near the C-pillar in order to disconnect the antenna from the other wiring harness.

Important
The new antenna will not be grounded into the other wiring harness.

3. Reinstall the new antenna and RCDLR receiver/module.
4. Reinstall the C-pillar trim (sail) panel.

Important
When programming a new or existing RCDLR, the programming instructions in SI must be followed.

2. Reprogram the RCDLR with the latest software update available through TIS2WEB.

Important
- On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), the tire type and tire pressures must be selected in the module set-up using the Tech 2(R). If this step is not performed, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.
Tip: When selecting the Tire Type/Pressure, choose the appropriate selection on the Tech 2(R) based on psi, not kPa. The vehicle must be driven immediately. Monitor the tire pressures on the DIC and drive the vehicle until dashes no longer appear.
- After the learn procedure is complete, be sure to set the tire pressures according to the information on the tire placard.

3. If equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System, perform the Tire Pressure Sensor Relearn using the J 46079 following the procedure found in SI.
4. Replace both Remote Keyless Entry transmitters. New transmitters are identified by a star on the back of the transmitter. It is important to verify that the replacement transmitters have a star on the back.
5. Program the transmitters using the procedure listed in SI.

creepingdeath
01-03-12, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the above info Phatalac!!!:thumbsup:

ogbuehi
01-03-12, 10:30 PM
That's the way to go. The OnStar app. Does it work with the '06 DTS? I'm assuming you need to subscribe to OnStar for it to work. Now I just have to get an iPhone or an Android phone.

Go to the onstar website and look at the onstar app info. It will have a list of all gm vehicles that the app will work with.

Phatalac
01-03-12, 11:35 PM
http://www.alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html

creepingdeath
01-05-12, 12:02 PM
If I take my DTS in to have them perform the replacement of the RCDLR module and antenna for the remote start (TSB), how much money am I looking at to have this done?

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-05-12, 01:17 PM
It depends, different dealers charge differently. I would call the dealer ahead of time to get a rough estimate so that you have some kind of idea.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

5.0 lsc
01-05-12, 04:26 PM
Wow.....great that's some great info you got there. We'll looks like my '06 was hit with another bs gm mess up. I have the weak remote antenna, a heated winshield fluid option that was just "taken out", and 2 bad front hubs that went at 60k. I learned a lesson...never buy a first year car model. I would rather put a nice viper system in with smart start than tear apart my whole rear deck. Still love my dts though!

----------

Oh yea, can't forgetthe sound of my fuel pressure relief valve that sounds like someones hitting my trunk with a baseball bat! Normal operation according to gm!

creepingdeath
01-05-12, 09:16 PM
5.0 lsc, I read "Oh yea, can't forget the sound of my fuel pressure relief valve that sounds like someones hitting my trunk with a baseball bat! Normal operation according to gm!" Is that what I'm hearing shortly after I start up my DTS? For me it's, more or less, 3 quick knocks or to that effect. Startled me at first. I thought it was the air leveling system...leveling.

Superjim
01-05-12, 09:49 PM
5.0 lsc, I read "Oh yea, can't forget the sound of my fuel pressure relief valve that sounds like someones hitting my trunk with a baseball bat! Normal operation according to gm!" Is that what I'm hearing shortly after I start up my DTS? For me it's, more or less, 3 quick knocks or to that effect. Startled me at first. I thought it was the air leveling system...leveling.

Yep... 3 knocks on a cold morning.
The first time mine did that... I was stopped at a light, in the right hand lane.
There were a couple of teenagers walking down the sidewalk when it did it... my first thought was they had hit my car... I was about to bail out when I realized that they were too far away to have hit the car.
Then I started reading about it on the forum, and realized that mine wasn't the only one doing it.

Jim

creepingdeath
01-16-12, 10:00 AM
Called 2 local Cadillac dealerships about my poor remote start range issue. The one nearest me had no idea what I was talking about when I told him about the TSB. I offered the TSB # to him and he said he's the only one there and couldn't run the #. :rolleyes: The other dealer DID know what I was talking about, and I'm bringing my DTS in to them tomorrow @ 8am. He said it may run about $600. for the fix, but wants to diagnose first. He also stated that it may affect my TPMS too....tho I haven't really had any issues with it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-17-12, 11:00 AM
Creepingdeath,
Any update on your vehicle yet? Keep us posted.
Breanne

creepingdeath
01-17-12, 12:06 PM
Just got the call from the dealer. They said they would have to replace the reciever and issue a new transmitter (fob). $450. total for replacement. Saving $150. because I'm only getting 1 transmitter instead of 2. They told me I should notice a huge difference in the RS range. I should be able to pick it up in about 4 hrs. (cross fingers)

creepingdeath
01-18-12, 10:40 AM
Parked in the corporate parking structure when I got to work. Walked a ways away, car was out of sight due to a slight curve in the garage. I parked between 2 cars, and a concrete divider was between me and the car, hit the remote start and it started!!:cloud9: The range is unbelievable now!!! Can't wait to try it out elsewhere. :D W00T!

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-18-12, 11:59 AM
That is awesome news! I am glad that this situation was taken care of for you! Enjoy your remote start!
Breanne