: Limo vs. Standard Wheels

turbojimmy
12-20-10, 08:00 AM
Anyone know the difference?

The manual doesn't say much other than:
- Limo wheels are "heavy duty"
- Limo wheels are stamped "LIMO ONLY" (mine are)
- The "wheel nut holes" are bigger than standard so they are NOT to be swapped onto "regular" Fleetwoods

I assume they're manufactured to carry a heavier load. They're stamped "15 x 7.0 x 8.0" which I assume means that they're 15x7. They have a 4.5" backspace (stock backspace?). Not sure what the offset is or how to measure it. The hub part of it is pretty beefy and actually extends past the front lip of the wheel by maybe 1/4". This doesn't appear to be the case on the stock wheel. I assume this is the "heavy duty" part of the wheel. I noticed that the Devilles are like this too - makes them look goofy IMO. It's more subtle on the Fleetwood.

I ask because I want to move to aftermarket wheels but I'm not sure if the stock dimensions are correct for the limo. Most websites come up with 15x7 with a 4.5" backspace and -3mm offset. The wheel appears to sit where it normally would on a regular Fleetwood, it's just the center part that is thicker (not where the bolt holes are, but the whole middle section of the wheel). The other consideration is whether aftermarket wheels for cars will support the load (I have e-mails into several manufacturers). I don't want "truck" wheels for it.

Thoughts?

turbojimmy
12-21-10, 07:43 AM
Here's what I've been able to dig up so far:
- the limo wheels are made for 1/2"-20 lugs, the standard Fleetwood lugs are M12 x 1.5. This is why the factory service manual cautions against using the limo wheels on a 'regular' Fleetwood. They are slightly bigger.
- The GVWR axle weights are 3,500 in the front and 3,700 in the back. Technically, each wheel needs to be rated to carry at least half of the highest weight axle, in this case 1,850 lbs.

As I feared, there are very few - if any - wheels that have an 1,850 lb. weight rating. The only ones that do are truck/SUV wheels. There aren't any of those that look decent, IMO. Plus most of those are 20" or bigger. I want 18s. Most car wheels are rated in the 1,500-1,600 lb. range.

Now, it would be very rare - if ever - when I would be driving around at full GVWR. That means a full tank of gas, 9 passengers and a full trunk of luggage. I would guess that a wheel rated at around 1,600 lbs. would be fine. There are some attractive wheels in that weight range. But, I don't know how much risk there is of a wheel coming apart. I lug my kids around on the highway a lot. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks....

Bro-Ham
12-22-10, 02:45 PM
How about some stock Escalade wheels?

turbojimmy
12-22-10, 04:09 PM
How about some stock Escalade wheels?

I hadn't thought about that. The guys at rimsntires.com were really helpful and sent me a list of wheels with 1850+ ratings. I like the Dub Drone 6 the best:

http://www.rimsntires.com/wheel.jsp?brand=DUB&model=Drone 6

They have a 2,200 lb. load rating.

Stingroo
12-22-10, 04:22 PM
Yeah but the only ones that are in your bolt pattern are the 20".

Interesting thread, I never knew there was a difference.

turbojimmy
12-22-10, 06:10 PM
Yeah but the only ones that are in your bolt pattern are the 20".

Interesting thread, I never knew there was a difference.

I didn't either. I'm learning a lot with this beast.

The link posted incorrectly. Should be the Drone 6 (six spoke). They have 18" in my bolt pattern. Try this:

http://www.rimsntires.com/wheel.jsp?brand=DUB&model=Drone%206

Stingroo
12-23-10, 10:29 AM
Not bad... too flashy for my taste, but hell - you drive a limousine. I don't think that applies anymore :lol:

turbojimmy
12-23-10, 05:28 PM
Not bad... too flashy for my taste, but hell - you drive a limousine. I don't think that applies anymore :lol:

Yeah, the limo lacks any sort of subtlety. Might as well go all out.