: Top Gear is stupid.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-19-10, 10:53 PM
I gave it a chance. The show is about making american cars look bad by competing in stupid challenges that really have nothing to do with performance and instead highlight weaknesses.

The dialoque is cheesy and forced. The drift guy thinks hes hot shit and the fat guy thinks hes seth rogan.

When they talk about a new car they talk at each other as if its genuine conversation, but theyre on a car show together, of course they know about the new xxxxxx. They should be talking to the audience

WTF? THEY JUST FILLED A CUTLASS AND A FIERO WITH WATER WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT

Playdrv4me
12-19-10, 11:15 PM
As for the silly challenges and destroying cars, that has been a hallmark of Top Gear for several years. The UK Top Gear is wildly successful so people obviously enjoy that part. I also didn't see anything wrong with the challenge tonight, as it brought some long forgotten GM classics back into the spotlight in the spirit of seeing what GM should build again.

Where I agree with you is the very forced dialogue between the hosts. Those three are a very poor match except for the italian guy (whose name I can never remember). If they could give him two better counterparts I think he'd be OK. I want to like the fat guy but he's just not host material.

It is very rare that ANY History Channel program doesn't succeed, but I have a hard time seeing a season 2 for this thing right now. It should have been on Spike in the first place, and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up there.

ga_etc
12-19-10, 11:21 PM
I just hate how hard they're trying to be the UK version. And as much as I think it's awesome that the Roadmaster took all of that abuse and lived, not to mention won the challenge, it really irks me that they did that to perfectly good and good looking cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-19-10, 11:53 PM
I don't think BBC would have granted them the rights unless they were copying the format created by the UK show. I loved seeing the Roadmaster win though.

You guys get too mad about the cars. They ruined cars that weren't in high demand, expensive or hard to replace. Like Tanner said, the Fiero was the top selling American made mid engined car ever, there are tons of '70s Cutlass Supremes out there and it's not like that one was in great shape, a greatly optioned model or even bone stock. The Roadmaster was a base '94 wagon, and it's not like there aren't a fair amount of those floating around.

US Top Gear isn't as sharp as the UK version, but that's like saying the American Led Zeppelin cover band isn't as good as Led Zeppelin. I enjoy sitting down on the couch from 9-10 every Sunday night and watching Top Gear.

Playdrv4me
12-20-10, 12:02 AM
Good point about the car destruction part. I noticed the Fiero and the RMW puffing white smoke at various times during the challenges tonight. It's not as if these cars weren't already on the brink of the scrap yard anyway. I view it as a way to give them one last romp before their final retirement. In one shot you could also see the rear quarter on the RMW was rusting away as well.

Synthesis
12-20-10, 10:13 AM
: Like Tanner said, the Fiero was the top selling American made mid engined car ever

Actually, he stated that the Fiero was the only MASS-PRODUCED American mid-engined car ever made, not the top selling.
And it broke all sales records when it hit the showroom floor.

As for the comment that the Fiero was puffing white smoke, quite possible, but I happen to know for a fact it was nowhere near on it's last legs.

That particular Fiero was discovered in a salvage yard with 38 miles on it. It was show room new. The original owner had been trying to sell it for an exorbitant price for years, and I am not sure if they died or what, but it found it's way to a salvage yard.

One of the members over on Pennock's Fiero Forum discovered it, bought it and brought it home. They ended up getting a new VIN issued by the state of residence and re-titled it, then sold it.

It isn't possible that the car had more than 20,000 miles on it when filmed for this show.

As you can tell, I am an avid Fiero fan, but also a Caddy fan (RIP El Dorado. :( )

I don't care for the US version of Top Gear, but am not overly pissed about them destroying a Fiero the way they did. Just a little hurt that they opted to do that to this particular car. :(

billc83
12-20-10, 12:18 PM
If it's the only mass-produced American mid-engine car produced, isn't is also the best selling one also?

It's just a car - It's not like the plowed your wife for one last romp before putting her out to pasture.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-20-10, 12:31 PM
to be honest, i dont care WHAT they did to the cars, those cars are pretty common.

Its the fact that the shows seems to be like a milder car version of jackass.

I havent watched ALOT of episodes of top gear UK but from the couple ive seen on youtube, the formula was, take a car, drive it maybe even drive it hard. and tell the audience about its strengths and weaknesses. The only challenge i saw was the mercedes vs the rolls royce challenge where they had to push their cars down the strip.

I never saw them take an old car and try to push it thru a terrain it obviously wasnt designed for while trying not to spill liquid or trying not to break glass jars full of moonshine. These challenges have nothing to do with the cars performance and come off more like "how much stuff can we break"

gary88
12-20-10, 12:51 PM
I never saw them take an old car and try to push it thru a terrain it obviously wasnt designed for while trying not to spill liquid or trying not to break glass jars full of moonshine. These challenges have nothing to do with the cars performance and come off more like "how much stuff can we break"

Then you haven't seen enough Top Gear UK because they do literally the same exact thing in the British Leyland challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7q8lWEd-o&feature=related

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-10, 05:58 PM
Yeah, the format between the two versions seems very similar. If they went with a plane jane "here's the car and here's how it performs" type of show, like Autoweek or Car and Driver TV, then it wouldn't draw nearly the amount of viewers that it does, with all the wacky antics and whatnot.

orconn
12-20-10, 07:44 PM
If it actually had "wacky" antics and "whatnot" it might be interesting, but as it is the show doesn't even rise to the level funny "asinine" as the British show does. The U.S. version seems destined to be trapped in stupid sub-mediocrity!

billc83
12-21-10, 04:30 AM
I am holding out against hope that the hosts will have better a camradare as they spend more time together. That will make the back-and-forth more natural and less scripted. That alone would take the show to the next level.

Playdrv4me
12-21-10, 04:51 AM
I am holding out against hope that the hosts will have better a camradare as they spend more time together. That will make the back-and-forth more natural and less scripted. That alone would take the show to the next level.

That's basically all it needs right now.

gary88
12-21-10, 12:32 PM
Friendly reminder that the TGUK New York special is tonight, and the Middle East special is on Sunday :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79MdsAq8ra8&feature=player_embedded

dkozloski
12-21-10, 12:57 PM
This is the only Top Gear episode ever filmed worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Mc1PHbYug

cadillac kevin
12-21-10, 01:01 PM
I really dont know what to think of the american top gear. I've watched the british one and love every minute of it (especially the wacky challenges where they destroy stuff) but so far the american challenges make me sick. they're blatant rip offs of the british show. but at the same time I laugh at them (well most of them anyways)
I have no problem watching morons destroy ferraris and lambos and of course leylands, but I feel sorry for that poor roadmaster and fiero, not to mention the caddy they took offroading.
the hosts dont seem to mesh yet, although I'm sure (hoping) they'll mesh better as time goes on. their dialogue seems painfully forced and scripted.
as for the hosts themselves, I like Rutledge wood (the fat guy) but hes more sidekick material than host material. tanner foust (the drift guy) seems a bit too polished, not to mention a bit cocky, and the third guy (whos name I dont even remember) seems like the only real host, whos put with a hot shot racer and some guy who seems like a castoff of the simpsons.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-10, 05:45 PM
I'd agree. Adam Ferrara (I think that's right) is the most natural on screen and the most charismatic. Tanner is a nice guy and has that racing history, but a bit "ivy league" for the show, and Rutledge is the most blue collared down to earth.

MauiV
12-21-10, 05:57 PM
So Top Gear destroying 3 POS's is different than Hollywood destroying DOZENS of a particular type of car at any given time such as The Green Hornet that destroyed 26 1966 Imperials (apparently the only 26 they could find)? Last Tuesday one of my best friends rolled in with a brand new Ford Raptor pretty much because of the Sunday night befores Top Gear episode.

The challanges are the BEST PART of the BBC version. The $1000 American Challange being the best EVER. The South American and African ones were also brilliant television.

cadillac kevin
12-21-10, 10:43 PM
the bbc version american challenge was hilarious. I didnt like that they spraypainted that sweet black on black caddy with stuff to piss off the locals(which almost got them killed by a bunch of rednecks btw) but that was probably in my top 5 favorite top gear bbc shows.

hueterm
12-22-10, 12:29 AM
I thought I was going to hate the TG w/the RMW vs. the Cutlass and the Fiero.... However, as the owner of a white '94 RMW (albeit w/burgundy interior) -- I think this one went down fighting, and proved itself well. I would have thought, however, that it would have been better than a 9 sec. 60... But yeah, the thing was on its last legs, the interior was shot, it was rusted to near oblivion...

And it WON!

As to the show, it was OK. I'm not a huge fan of the UK version. That curly headed older guy is a c*nt... But although their dialogue was forced, the US guys were fine. They'll get better.

welldeserved
12-12-11, 07:11 AM
I am sorry but i don't agree with you.. This is one of my favorite series, Especially Top Gear UK. I am waiting for Top Gear season 18 (http://topgears.edogo.com/) India this time and i know this is gonna be fantastic season as usual. In fact this is the only show where you can get to know about lot many vehicles.

Sevillian273
12-12-11, 10:19 AM
I have no intention of watching any bit of this show because no matter what they do, it will always remain in the shadow of Top Gear UK.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3g_odBFk5kdOCjfVhbrCI97EA-R5kKERf_qWt2LfYqcTNtwMEcZcA7VB6

Blackout
12-12-11, 10:51 AM
I was skeptical at first of Top Gear USA and the first few episodes weren't all that good but they have gotten better with each passing show. I think what the Top Gear UK fans fail to realize is that the first few years of that show wasn't all that good as well so to expect a new show to come right out of the gates to be what Top Gear UK is today just isn't going to happen. You need for the hosts to find their groove, build up chemistry, etc.

orconn
12-12-11, 04:15 PM
"Top Gear UK" is sophmoric entertainment, but does bring us info (valid or erroneous) on cars we might not otherwise get to see or hear about. I agree with huetern that the "curly headed" moron who anchors the show is "c*nt" (British vernacular to be sure), far more interested in his own self aggrandizing humor than the pursuit of information. The show displays all the parochial prejudice that Brits put forth about Germanic cars, now that their own auto industry is a sad thing of the past!

I like the photography on the US "Top Gear," but the hosts moderate abilities really underscore their very real ignorance of automotive history. While the UK show is sophomoric the US show's writing and delivery is very amateurish and the show is only saved from total failure by its' sometimes excellent camera work!

Blackout
12-13-11, 07:46 AM
"Top Gear UK" is sophmoric entertainment, but does bring us info (valid or erroneous) on cars we might not otherwise get to see or hear about. I agree with huetern that the "curly headed" moron who anchors the show is "c*nt" (British vernacular to be sure), far more interested in his own self aggrandizing humor than the pursuit of information.That's the whole point of the show. They drive the most exotic cars out there and have fun doing so. We don't need another Autoweek show because while it is informational, is just downright boring as hell to watch. Clarkson is a wordsmith with some of the stuff he pulls out of his ass. And if you really watch Top Gear to decide on your next car purchase or looking for information then you are seriously barking up the wrong tree. For that I would say watch Fifth Gear.

The show displays all the parochial prejudice that Brits put forth about Germanic cars, now that their own auto industry is a sad thig of the past!Huh? For the most part they love German cars. They love Porsches, BMW's especially the M cars (Clarkson said that the best car of this year was the BMW 1M), anything Mercedes, and they LOVE the GTI. So where you get that they hate German cars is beyond me.

I like the photography on the US "Top Gear," but the hosts moderate abilities really underscore their very real ignorance of automotive history. While the UK show is sophomoric the US show's writing and delivery is very amateurish and the show is only saved from total failure by its' sometimes excellent camera work!Once again, give it time. Top Gear UK didn't start getting really good until around season 5. And in the first two seasons Top Gear UK had more episodes compared to Top Gear USA so they have had more time to gel.

orconn
12-13-11, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=Blackout;2797588]That's the whole point of the show. They drive the most exotic cars out there and have fun doing so. We don't need another Autoweek show because while it is informational, is just downright boring as hell to watch. Clarkson is a wordsmith with some of the stuff he pulls out of his ass. And if you really watch Top Gear to decide on your next car purchase or looking for information then you are seriously barking up the wrong tree. For that I would say watch Fifth Gear.
Huh? For the most part they love German cars. They love Porsches, BMW's especially the M cars (Clarkson said that the best car of this year was the BMW 1M), anything Mercedes, and they LOVE the GTI. So where you get that they hate German cars is beyond me.

Once again, give it time. Top Gear UK didn't start getting really good until around season 5. And in the first two seasons Top Gear UK had more episodes compared to Top Gear USA so they have had more time to gel.[/QUOTE

My point about "Top Gear" UK was quite the opposite of your interpretation, I did not say they were prejudiced against German cars, but quite the opposite, that they (like most of the motoring press prosti's) love the German cars regardless of their merits for British driving.

Each to his own when it comes to taste in humor. Watching the smug (what passes for) witticisms of an entirely predictable conceited British twit doesn't do it for me! The "Laurel and Hardy"-esque also leaves me cold!

CIWS
12-13-11, 11:57 AM
There's only so many cars that can be really reviewed in a given model year. So they have to throw in stuff purely for "entertainment" purposes. Sometimes they take the entertainment side a bit too far by making vehicles appear in a bad light, but that's Top Gear.

thebigjimsho
12-13-11, 04:21 PM
I was skeptical at first of Top Gear USA and the first few episodes weren't all that good but they have gotten better with each passing show. I think what the Top Gear UK fans fail to realize is that the first few years of that show wasn't all that good as well so to expect a new show to come right out of the gates to be what Top Gear UK is today just isn't going to happen. You need for the hosts to find their groove, build up chemistry, etc.I hear that all the time. So I watched some old episodes and US does not compare, period.

Submariner409
12-13-11, 04:51 PM
..............now, if we went back to John Cleese and Fawlty Towers it might be worth watching.

Aron9000
12-14-11, 01:09 AM
I hear that all the time. So I watched some old episodes and US does not compare, period.

Agreed, I've seen some of their older stuff from around 2004-2005, still awesome. Clarkson is an annoying twat, but IMO its kind of hilarious how over the top and petty he acts on that show, especially when his ego gets taken down a notch when he loses a challenge to Richard Hammond. Although James May is by far the funniest and smartest guy on that show, some of his DRY witticisms are just epic.

Blackout
12-14-11, 03:25 PM
I hear that all the time. So I watched some old episodes and US does not compare, period.So you're saying that season 1 of Top Gear UK is better then season 1 of Top Gear USA? Captain Slow wasn't even in season 1 it was this useless fat guy. In Top Gear UK in season one the best challenge they did was try and make a Jaguar XJS as fast as a modern super car with two other episodes trying to find the fastest "faith". The Alaska episode at the end of season 1 of Top Gear USA was better then anything they did in season 1 of Top Gear USA.

----------

Agreed, I've seen some of their older stuff from around 2004-2005, still awesome. Clarkson is an annoying twat, but IMO its kind of hilarious how over the top and petty he acts on that show, especially when his ego gets taken down a notch when he loses a challenge to Richard Hammond. Although James May is by far the funniest and smartest guy on that show, some of his DRY witticisms are just epic.You can't compare seasons 3-4 of Top Gear UK versus season 1 of Top Gear USA

Submariner409
12-14-11, 04:35 PM
Hijack...............What was the looney British show that featured a ""Mrs. Bucket" (boo-kay)................

orconn
12-14-11, 04:41 PM
Hijack...............What was the looney British show that featured a ""Mrs. Bucket" (boo-kay)................

"Keeping Up Appearances" It is on Public Televison every Saturday night down here in the Old Dominion.

thebigjimsho
12-14-11, 10:44 PM
So you're saying that season 1 of Top Gear UK is better then season 1 of Top Gear USA? Captain Slow wasn't even in season 1 it was this useless fat guy. In Top Gear UK in season one the best challenge they did was try and make a Jaguar XJS as fast as a modern super car with two other episodes trying to find the fastest "faith". The Alaska episode at the end of season 1 of Top Gear USA was better then anything they did in season 1 of Top Gear USA.

----------

You can't compare seasons 3-4 of Top Gear UK versus season 1 of Top Gear USAMost of the time it's not even the wild antics they do that I love, but the interaction between them all. While season 1 of UK had growing pains, it's BY F'N FAR much more enjoyable to watch than the insufferable g00bs of USA. Tanner is a golly-gee-willakers bore. Rutledge is not funny and the Italian d00d is only funny when he is about to snap.

Awful flow and boring challenges.

Blackout
12-15-11, 10:00 AM
Most of the time it's not even the wild antics they do that I love, but the interaction between them all. While season 1 of UK had growing pains, it's BY F'N FAR much more enjoyable to watch than the insufferable g00bs of USA.You do realize that in season 1 of Top Gear UK that all three presenters were rarely in the same room at the same time. And I'd take Tanner Foust over Jason Dawe any day of the week. Just go to finalgear.com and download some of the season 1 episodes and tell me that it's better then season 1 of TG USA. It just isn't

Tanner is a golly-gee-willakers bore. Rutledge is not funny and the Italian d00d is only funny when he is about to snap. While Tanner isn't Mr. Personality he has his moments and at the same time out of all the Top Gear shows he's the best driver of the bunch so when he gives advice about cars I'm more inclined to listen to his comments then anybody else.

Awful flow and boring challenges.Once again, name me a show that was as good in season 1 as it was in their last season? It just doesn't work that way on TV. Look no further then the Car Show with Adam Corolla to see what I mean

M5eater
12-15-11, 10:15 AM
Most of the time it's not even the wild antics they do that I love, but the interaction between them all. While season 1 of UK had growing pains, it's BY F'N FAR much more enjoyable to watch than the insufferable g00bs of USA. Tanner is a golly-gee-willakers bore. Rutledge is not funny and the Italian d00d is only funny when he is about to snap.

Awful flow and boring challenges.

pretty spot on, although as Blackout has mentioned, Top gear UK didn't spew out of Mount BBC into a the most watched TV show in the world over night. Clarkson had been an autmotive reviewer for the orginal top gear for 10+ years before the next-gen Top gear arrived, and there were all pretty stiff the first 2-3 seasons before they all fell into the top gear we know today.

I'll also have to agree with Blackout-- this show needs Tanner, if there's a third wheel they could do without, it's ferrara. Rutz at least is sarcastic half the time.

RippyPartsDept
12-15-11, 10:28 AM
I like both versions ...

Blackout
12-15-11, 02:11 PM
I like both versions ...http://successfuleventpromoting.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Liar-Liar-pants-on-fire.jpg

concorso
12-15-11, 04:47 PM
You do realize that in season 1 of Top Gear UK that all three presenters were rarely in the same room at the same time. And I'd take Tanner Foust over Jason Dawe any day of the week. Just go to finalgear.com and download some of the season 1 episodes and tell me that it's better then season 1 of TG USA. It just isn't
While Tanner isn't Mr. Personality he has his moments and at the same time out of all the Top Gear shows he's the best driver of the bunch so when he gives advice about cars I'm more inclined to listen to his comments then anybody else.

Once again, name me a show that was as good in season 1 as it was in their last season? It just doesn't work that way on TV. Look no further then the Car Show with Adam Corolla to see what I meanBig Bang Theory...Sons of Anarchy...Dexter

I watched the new format of TGUK from the 2nd episode of the 1st season, and I agree with TBJS. The 1st season of TGUK with Jason Dawe was much better to watch then the 2nd or 1st season of TGUSA. I have watched episodes of the Car Show a 2nd time. Ive watched every TPUK episode at least twice. Ive forced myself to watch TGUSA. Every single novelty joke that TGUK has used, TGUSA has also used, from the teeth whitening to bumping into other hosts cars when pulling up for a challenge. TGUSA is boring to watch, even tho the videography is almost as good as TGUK's best work. As much as I like Tanner, and I agree that hes needed, hes the weakest link on the show in terms of compatibility with the other hosts. He needs to loosen up, stop forcing jokes, and just be himself. IMO, the later episodes of the Car Show are better comparisons for TGUK. All the hosts are well read and well spoken, and theres chemistry between them. Carolla plays the ignorant fool, while Neil and Farrah play the voice of reason. To me, the 2nd season of TGUSA is an improvement, but still a copy of TGUK with less chemistry. Without the american scenery, I doubt it would be anywhere near as successful as it is.

----------

This show needs Tanner, if there's a third wheel they could do without, it's ferrara. Rutz at least is sarcastic half the time.Imconflicted on this point. Ferrara has personality, but Tanner has skill and experience. Both are neccessary for this type of show. I really think its Tanner holding the show, back. The show seems to lose rhythm when he talks. Like I said in my last post, if he can loosen up a little, I think that would do the most for the show.

thebigjimsho
12-15-11, 06:36 PM
You do realize that in season 1 of Top Gear UK that all three presenters were rarely in the same room at the same time. And I'd take Tanner Foust over Jason Dawe any day of the week. Just go to finalgear.com and download some of the season 1 episodes and tell me that it's better then season 1 of TG USA. It just isn't
While Tanner isn't Mr. Personality he has his moments and at the same time out of all the Top Gear shows he's the best driver of the bunch so when he gives advice about cars I'm more inclined to listen to his comments then anybody else.

Once again, name me a show that was as good in season 1 as it was in their last season? It just doesn't work that way on TV. Look no further then the Car Show with Adam Corolla to see what I meanHello, it's called internet. I can watch UK whenever I want and do. It is MORE enjoyable than USA has been ever, in 2 seasons.

Simple as that. End of story. Stop trying to sell me on driving abilities and stunts. It's a show. It should entertain. TGUK, even early, did. USA has yet to at all.

M5eater
12-15-11, 07:21 PM
Imconflicted on this point. Ferrara has personality, but Tanner has skill and experience. Both are neccessary for this type of show. I really think its Tanner holding the show, back. The show seems to lose rhythm when he talks. Like I said in my last post, if he can loosen up a little, I think that would do the most for the show.
agreed. They all sound like they're staring down the tele-prompter, but Tanner is on a whole different level of monotone.

thebigjimsho
12-16-11, 01:20 PM
I'd bring in Paul Tracy to replace Tanner. The show might truly become a train wreck but it would be fun to watch. Rutledge would be petrified of Tracy, and Ferrarra would be butting heads and throwing out slurs with Tracy all day. Sure, Tracy is Canadian but we've got dem Canadians infiltrating music and Hollywood now anyway, so why not?

On second thought, Tracy would be much more fun to watch than Tanner, but would probably be too over the top and be fired, failing the show for good...

M5eater
12-16-11, 05:35 PM
Tracy would put that show on the map in the same way Charlie sheen put himself back in the spot light. so there's only one real comment about a Tracy top gear; WINNING!

Aron9000
12-17-11, 01:27 AM
I always thought Tim Allen would've made a great host on Top Gear USA. Or Jay Leno.

Blackout
12-17-11, 08:45 AM
I always thought Tim Allen would've made a great host on Top Gear USA. Or Jay Leno.

I was hoping for Tim Allen for Top Gear USA when they firs started casting the show. He would has been great!

thestig8
01-18-12, 03:17 PM
http://successfuleventpromoting.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Liar-Liar-pants-on-fire.jpg Wrong.

But, on the subject of TG...I've always loved the British version (look at my username...if it weren't for TG I wouldn't know what my username would be), and the American version...it's...OK, I guess.

Stingroo
01-18-12, 05:28 PM
I am probably one of the few people who will get your SBSP reference.

I lol'd.

RippyPartsDept
01-18-12, 05:34 PM
i recognized the squid, but i couldn't care less about that show and references to it

:D

Stingroo
01-18-12, 05:42 PM
He is a starfish, yo.

orconn
01-18-12, 05:46 PM
Does anyone like Adam Carolla?

vincentm
01-18-12, 05:46 PM
Wrong.

But, on the subject of TG...I've always loved the British version (look at my username...if it weren't for TG I wouldn't know what my username would be), and the American version...it's...OK, I guess.

I have this Episode on DVD

Patrick: "Liar lair plants for hire"
SB: "Its Pants on fire Patrick"
Patrick: "well you would know, liar"

Blackout
01-19-12, 07:02 AM
Does anyone like Adam Carolla?http://i.verylol.com/1/ha_ha_ha_no_lol.jpg

Aron9000
01-22-12, 03:11 AM
^ I find him to be an annoying "know it all type" on the car show. Loved him on the Man show though, that was one of the funniest things on TV about 10 years ago.

Honestly that show would kick major arse with Tim Allen hosting it, Dan Neil and Matt Farah are awesome and they nixed the former basketball player, who was like a 3rd wheel and really didn't have much to contribute.

brandondeleo
01-22-12, 03:13 AM
Adam Corolla pisses me off... There aren't very many television personalities as douchey as him. Maybe that Tosh dude. Or the cast of Jersey Shore. Or Keith Olbermann.

Aron9000
01-22-12, 04:19 AM
Adam Corolla pisses me off... There aren't very many television personalities as douchey as him. Maybe that Tosh dude. Or the cast of Jersey Shore. Or Keith Olbermann.

Daniel Tosh's standup is hilarious, but his show is kind of hit or miss. And honestly I think the doucheyness is kind of part of his act, he seems like he'd be a cool dude off camera/stage. Adam Carolla though is straight through and through a major cock, he has that sort of smug I'm better than you sort of thing going on.

Blackout
01-22-12, 12:04 PM
I never got why people liked Adam Carolla. He's just annoying as hell between his voice, and his holier than thou attitude. You owe your entire existence to Jimmy Kimmel yet you think you're the shit.

brandondeleo
01-22-12, 12:13 PM
I never got why people liked Adam Carolla. He's just annoying as hell between his voice, and his holier than thou attitude. You owe your entire existence to Jimmy Kimmel yet you think you're the shit.
Speaking of late night hosts, am I the only one who hates Conan O'Brien?

vincentm
01-22-12, 04:15 PM
Speaking of late night hosts, am I the only one who hates Conan O'Brien?

Yes, in fact you are

Blackout
01-22-12, 04:59 PM
Speaking of late night hosts, am I the only one who hates Conan O'Brien?How can you hate Conan O'Brien!?

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 05:19 PM
I think Conan is starting to become a little irrelevant. I like him but not enough to bother changing the channel or recording his shows...

----------

Since that is his shtick, I have never been annoyed with him. I find him funny...

sfv41901
01-22-12, 05:52 PM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with Conan......

King-German-Fool
01-22-12, 06:10 PM
For me TopGear is just a propaganda hate show against you Americans camouflaged as a car show. It isn't informative at all. The only thing it has to do with cars is that they put some American cars in unfair challenge to bash them. Complete crap.
I think this show really harms American industry also, a lot of people in England or other parts of Europe wont buy American cars anymore because they belief this crap they are telling. And that is the aim off this show.

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 06:46 PM
They joke about Americans but they have been very favorable to American cars when they are good...

drewsdeville
01-22-12, 09:40 PM
For me TopGear is just a propaganda hate show against you Americans camouflaged as a car show. It isn't informative at all. The only thing it has to do with cars is that they put some American cars in unfair challenge to bash them. Complete crap.
I think this show really harms American industry also, a lot of people in England or other parts of Europe wont buy American cars anymore because they belief this crap they are telling. And that is the aim off this show.

The people who love American car bashing are most likely the ones who've already been burned by the crap we've put out in the past, and thus already share the mindset. I don't believe that evil Top Gear is breeding new, unjustified hate for American cars.

The American manufacturers put themselves right where they are, not Top Gear.

orconn
01-22-12, 11:21 PM
Hey, Drew, you ever had anything to do with British cars? American cars may have been built to a budget that allowed a broad section of the American population to afford a new car. So yes, in a lot of ways, they were cheaply built cars, but what built the reputation (much deserved) was the reliability of American cars. This is especially true when compared with what the British auto industry was putting out. Your are too young to remember the abominations the BMC (British Motor Corp) put out in the sixties and seventies and on into the eighties. The cars were so bad that it brought the car industry in Britain to edge of oblivion, only to be finished off by Rover's fiasco's.

From what little I've seen of "Top Gear" and the snide trio that inhabit the show, they do love knocking American cars. Their love affair with all "motors" German is very obvious, even to the casual observer. To anyone familiar with the car seen on both sides of the Atlantic "Top Gear" comes off as "sour grapes" as spouted by three guys playing to there home team ignorance and prejudice. Sophomoric at best!

brandondeleo
01-23-12, 04:10 AM
I love Top Gear. Watch it all the time. I've seen almost every episode from the past 10 years. You guys take it way too seriously. It's a tv show. It's meant for entertainment, and when they have good American cars, they praise them. I was watching an old episode last night where Jeremy was practically wooing a Viper. A "propaganda hate show"? Dude, get over yourself. It's informative. Going over specifications, comparative (you can't say it's not objective) lap times, head to head races, etc. They even ask viewers to send in reliability information and personal anecdotes and take polls, often referencing studies done by third parties. Bottom line, it's not PBS. It's made for entertainment, and it's quite the comedy show.
Everybody knows that, despite being fun, good looking roadsters and such, mid-century British cars are electric fires waiting to happen. The main reason they just don't work in the US is that they don't have the power for our 65-70mph highways; they were made for 40mph country winding roads. Do you know why they bash Americans? Because we make ourselves easy to bash. Largely stupid and obese. They knock American cars because, most of the time, the American cars they get are knock-able, but I've seen quite a few episodes where they praise American cars (when praise is truly due). They're also using a different metric. They have different interests in vehicles in Europe. What pleases us doesn't please them.
My point is, it's a tv show. It's about cars, but it doesn't claim to be the end-all source. Top Gear and Motorweek are two COMPLETELY different beasts; two different directives. It's an opinion show! In summation, it's a semi-informative, comedic car show set in a different part of the world with different values than we uphold.

Watching an episode from 2003, and stopped by here to mention that Clarkson just said that the Bentley Continental GT (British, but chock full of German parts and a German engine) "Wasn't very good at all."

Blackout
01-23-12, 07:13 AM
For real. Some of you guys are taking the show way to seriously when it's all tongue in cheek humor. They bash british cars all the time (Jag's, Land Rover's, their episode where they buy old English cars to see if England ever made a good car) as well as American cars. But they do love their American cars as well. Hamster is an Englishman who should have been born an American. He owns a few classic muscle cars (He test drove an old Challenger he had just bought on the show one time) and Clarkson bought a Ford GT. So take the show for what it's worth. An entertaining show that happens to feature cars in it as well.

brandondeleo
01-23-12, 07:30 AM
it's all tongue in cheek humor
The very best kind, my friend, am I right? :highfive:

Blackout
01-23-12, 08:26 AM
The very best kind, my friend, am I right? :highfive:Hell yeah! :highfive:

vincentm
01-23-12, 08:33 AM
Do't like the show, it sucks

thebigjimsho
01-23-12, 10:56 AM