: Can we get some more ads please?

TimmyC
12-19-10, 10:09 PM
I especially like the one that hovers under my cursor. That is AWESOME! This forum has more ads than anywhere else I've been. There are ads on the top, the sides, the bottom, between posts in threads, in posts in threads, and now I see that the site is intentionally slowed down to people who do not pay. It's ridiculous.

Stingroo
12-19-10, 10:12 PM
There's little aftermarket support for Cadillacs, and because of this, there are few companies willing to pay for ad space. If you don't like it, you can become a supporter, donate money, develop something fantastic for the aftermarket, sell it, and become a vendor, or just deal. Your call bro.

Destroyer
12-19-10, 10:16 PM
The ad that hovers truly sucks. Like I'm ever gonna even look to see what it's advertising just because it annoys the everloving shit out of me? I don't think so. :mad2:

hueterm
12-19-10, 10:33 PM
There's a feedback page AND a thread about the floating cursor....

OffThaHorseCEO
12-19-10, 10:37 PM
The argument about aftermarket support is a crock. Cadillacs arent the only cars with a forum but no aftermarket support.

I love how everyone acts like Sal offers this forum out of the goodness of his heart and the ads are there to keep the forum afloat. I guarantee he makes more money from this forum than most of us make from our jobs.

We should remember this forum is his business and should be treated as a service or product. It should be held to the same standards as any other business/service/product.

Ive downloaded a few ad supported games for android phones but non are as intrusive as this site. Its bad when the only sight that runs slow on any given computer is this one

billc83
12-19-10, 10:42 PM
You (and I, for that matter), pay nothing for the information and community the forum provides.

Increase your Net-Fu (it's really not that hard to avoid the cursor ads), your membership, or your tolerance.

Aron9000
12-20-10, 02:21 AM
I don't really care about the ads except for that cursor one. That annoys the ever living shit out of me and should be banshied back to hell from where it came from.

Jesda
12-20-10, 03:10 AM
I'm not running adblock and have no idea what you guys are talking about??

jedhead
12-20-10, 03:20 AM
This is one of the busiest forums that I have been on. I have a very small car forum which is about as busy as the XLR-V part of this forum. I don't do ad or anything, but I do pay for the bandwidth and have an idea that Sal is paying a good sum of money to support the bandwidth of this forum. I am eating a couple dinners at home to support this forum. Don't be so cheap.

Bob

Playdrv4me
12-20-10, 03:21 AM
I'm not running adblock and have no idea what you guys are talking about??

You are a site supporter so you won't see the ad hovers (obviously).

Frankly, I agree that this is one of the most piggishly slow forums you can access from a regular computer. However it is still free, and until you are forced to pay you don't really have grounds to complain. You are always free to go visit another forum if you don't like the ads here.

However of all the ads the ones I truly hate are the smart-phone detecting ones that pop up and prevent you from doing ANYTHING until you click out of them. Of course they are designed so that the X to close them is tiny and there's a very good chance you'll click in to the ad instead. Those pop up every visit to certain pages and do not time out. Frustrating, but it is what it is.

ben.gators
12-20-10, 03:28 AM
It is a while that I am not a supporter, but still have no idea about the ads these guys are speaking about.... I am using Mac and Safari.... does it make a difference?

Playdrv4me
12-20-10, 03:33 AM
It is a while that I am not a supporter, but still have no idea about the ads these guys are speaking about.... I am using Mac and Safari.... does it make a difference?

Yes they still pop up with Safari. It may be possible that because you were a supporter in the past you are not targeted. I also just installed a plugin to disable flash selectively on my Mac and it seems to help.

The-Dullahan
12-20-10, 06:20 PM
Just my two cents (My life savings at that) but I have yet to witness this mysterious, spectral cursor-ad. I have heard rumors and myths of it's existence though. I also haven't really been on here much lately, too much good weather to stay indoors.

Lord Cadillac
12-20-10, 08:51 PM
The cursor ad that people are complaining about is not working properly for a small percentage of our viewers. For most viewers, it displays ONCE per day for 7 seconds unless you click the small "x" to close it in the top right corner. The issue will be resolved at some point. For now, there is a topic that discusses how to block these ads for those it's causing problems for.

THERE ARE NO AUTOMOTIVE FORUMS WITH THE KIND OF TRAFFIC WE RECEIVE, WITH AS LITTLE AFTERMARKET SUPPORT AS THIS ONE WITH FEWER ADS.

This is not a business. This is a hobby - as is the case with my automotive forum network. I have a very lucrative career, a business of my own and I write/sell self-help eBooks online. I don't need to earn money from my hobby.

The-Dullahan
12-21-10, 07:45 PM
When I conquer the world, Sal will have limitless funding.

Or if I win the lottery, but that's unlikely, because I don't play it.

Conquering the world is about 97% certain.

Florian
12-22-10, 12:06 AM
suck it up.:wambulance:

F

Rolex
12-22-10, 10:09 PM
You (and I, for that matter), pay nothing for the information and community the forum provides.

Increase your Net-Fu (it's really not that hard to avoid the cursor ads), your membership, or your tolerance.

:word: