: Just read the MT article on the 2011 Hyundai Elantra, I like it.

ga_etc
12-19-10, 12:17 AM
http://image.motortrend.com/f/31536958+w750/2011-hyundai-elantra-driver-side-motion.jpg

In all fairness, I like the (now) previous model too. I think it's an inoffensive, but fairly stylish little car. A friend of mine has one that I've ridden in a few times and it was pretty quiet and rode very reasonably. I would buy one over a Civic in a heartbeat and never think twice.

This new one sharpens the styling inside and out, and even ads a little more oomph under the hood. I really think they might have a real winner on their hands. I think it looks better than the Sonata and costs less. Now if it just had the turbo motor from the Sonata...

Full article HERE (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1012_2011_hyundai_elantra_drive/index.html).

Aron9000
12-19-10, 01:37 AM
Hyundia has driven right on past Toyota as the benchmark for boring transportation IMO. Hell I don't know why anybody would buy a Yaris, Corolla, or Camry now days, all three of those are inoffensively ugly and not very well made IMO.

ga_etc
12-19-10, 01:54 AM
As much as I really hate to say it, being a BIG GM advocate/fan, I dare say for price/quality/practicality I would take the new Elantra over the new Cruz.

Playdrv4me
12-19-10, 03:23 AM
I was fairly impressed with the 2011 Kia Optima. First car ever in that category to offer a heated steering wheel, a color LCD IP display, and a wealth of other amenities, it also looks better than the Sonata (its sister car) in my opinion.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-19-10, 07:51 AM
Call me crazy, but I really don't like the way that Elantra looks. It's like they tried to go for the swoopy, sexy styling of the bigger, longer Sonata, but on a shorter car, it doesn't look as well. From the side, it has that tall, flat Prius look. I'm sure it's built well, and has lots of neat features at a cheaper price than a Cruze, but I just don't find it attractive.

ga_etc
12-19-10, 08:08 AM
I still don't see the attractiveness in the Sonata. That thing is just FUGLY to me, in any color. I think the Elantra has a pinch of Genesis Coupe styling in the exterior. I really like the look of the Cruze too. Both cars could benefit from a little boost though.

Stingroo
12-19-10, 08:55 AM
Sonata and Elantra are both ugly. I don't get the infatuation. They look like cars that were great concept designs in the clay models in the design studio, but somebody left them in the oven a little too long and they said "You know... that works."

Do not want. I've seen a few Cruze's around lately, and I have to say I actually like those. Small cars for the loss, of course, but still.

orconn
12-19-10, 01:12 PM
It looks too "insectoid!"

Jesda
12-19-10, 01:31 PM
Its got a goofy face, but it looks more expensive than it is. I think that's because modern Lexuses all look like they were left in the sun to melt, and Hyundai is mimicking that look.

orconn
12-19-10, 01:48 PM
With that face all it needs is a couple of antenna sticking up over the Hyundai emblem to complete the picture. A loud buzz instead of a conventional horn would also be a novel and unigue touche!

ga_etc
12-19-10, 06:35 PM
It's a little buggish, but at least it's a striking design rather than something bland or just ungodly ugly.

Destroyer
12-19-10, 09:09 PM
Its got a goofy face, but it looks more expensive than it is. I think that's because modern Lexuses all look like they were left in the sun to melt, and Hyundai is mimicking that look.I agree with this. I swear if it weren't for the badges nowadays I wouldn't know what brand any car was. They all are morphing into the same ugly car. :mad2::lildevil:

Playdrv4me
12-20-10, 02:10 AM
The 2011 Optima was penned by a former Audi designer (I actually thought it was Hyundai who got him re: previous Sonata, but apparently he was sent to Kia) and its exterior proportions are fairly more subdued than the Hyundai products of late. The interior also seems to me to be a straight up A4/A5 knockoff, which is NOT a bad thing (with Nav at least)...

http://volvoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Kia-Optima-Hybrid-White-Color.jpg

http://volvoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2011-Kia-Optima-Hybrid-Interior-Design-View.jpg

Aron9000
12-20-10, 02:16 AM
I'll have to see one in person to pass judgement on the styling. But I probably won't like it, since I think the Sonota is kind of ugly.

As for compact cars, I really like the Honda Civic's spaceship design. Especially the coupe. If I were in the market for a small car now, without a doubt I'd buy the Honda, probably a 2 door with the small motor and manual trans(Si's are really expensive and insurance is comparable to a v8 Mustang, v8 Camaro, etc).

I really liked the Mazda 3 before the screwed up the styling with the 2010 redesign. Looks like it has the Joker's grin.

ga_etc
12-20-10, 05:50 PM
As for compact cars, I really like the Honda Civic's spaceship design. Especially the coupe. If I were in the market for a small car now, without a doubt I'd buy the Honda

I thought you had better taste than that...:hide:

Seriously though, I really think there are better small car options than the Civic. The exterior design is fine, but the gauge design gets on my nerves and they're SLOW. I'd buy a Fit before a Civic if I had to have something small from Honda.

V-Eight
12-20-10, 06:14 PM
As for compact cars, I really like the Honda Civic's spaceship design. Especially the coupe..

Ugh, not to mention they're way to small. I was in my friends car and my head was on the roof, just another reason I won't drive a Civic

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-10, 06:17 PM
I like the Civic coupes, and being smallish (5'6", 147 lbs), the small size of the cabin isn't an issue for me. I also like the Kia Forte Koup, as it's got the same general look as the Civic coupe, but it's not as quite as small.

The '11 Kia Optima looks SO cool for a car of it's class. A class in which so many are bland or ugly, it's got a definite style to it and it's a good looker as well.

V-Eight
12-20-10, 07:00 PM
^ I actually think the Forte coupe looks nicer than the Civic. I also agree that Optima looks pretty good. Kia is certainly going in the right direction.

ga_etc
12-20-10, 08:35 PM
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201002/2010-kia-forte-koup-23_1600x0w.jpg

^THAT has a lot more character than the Civic.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/keith_757/2007%20Honda%20Civic%20LX%20coupe/P4061228_.jpg

Again, in all fairness, the Civic Coupe looks much better than the sedan. It can even be dressed up to be a right sharp little car. Even with the coupe, though, my three biggest gripes with the car remain. It's underpowered, it's uncomfortable, and the split level gauges have never appealed to me.

Playdrv4me
12-21-10, 05:01 AM
the split level gauges have never appealed to me.

I've NEVER liked that arrangement on the Civic for one very obvious reason. Your speed is perched up there on the top of the dashboard for EVERY passer-by to see. If that passer-by just happens to be a cop pacing you or who wouldn't have otherwise been shooting radar, there isn't anything better he could ask for than your own big bright digital speedo right there in plain sight.

SDCaddyLacky
12-21-10, 08:40 AM
All of them pretty much look the same, that goes for most cars as of late. But I am starting to warm up to the new Audi's, the front end design, with the combination of those slick headlights give the Audi's character, it's own character.

As for Hyundai, I have been truly impressed with the brand, they have come a long way, and personally, I feel like they are what Honda and Toyota used to be in the 90's. I really don't like the look of the Elantra, the design looks nice on the Sonata, but just doesn't look right on the Elantra, it's too short for that kind of styling. Any time you have a hungry brand trying to improve itself, that breeds success and is great for competition. No longer are the days of having to buy a Honda or Toyo for reliability, because we now have new challengers stepping up to the plate and delivering great cars. Since Honda and Toyo have already proved themselves years ago, they are able to get away with the notion that there cars are still good, and reliable, but the truth of matter is, it's false, Honda is still a good brand, but they have cut corners in it's quality and think that people wont notice the changes, Toyota is even worse, building there cars to fall apart and kill people, while having major recalls every few months. It's a disgrace, I still see people driving new Camry's where I live, even after all the problems they are having, including cheaper plastic interiors that doesn't hold up. Why oh why God, can't old people see that there's way better choices other than a Camry when it comes to buying a mid size car??? Why??

I have test driven the new 2010 Mazda 3's, the 2.5 and 2.0 litre version, both very good cars, excellent handling, and performance for a car thats priced so perfectly in terms of value. The 3 hands down has the best value out of any compact car this year, beating the Civic, and destroying the Crapolla's.

When I drove the little thing, I swear it feels like a small BMW, the quality of the materials was top notch, nothing felt overly cheap, even in a car at this price range. I also test drove the Civic, and I do like the interior, pretty crazy and futuristic, but a little immature if you ask me. The 3's interior feels nice, and looks more grown up, but cramped feeling in the back, while the Civic feels cheaply made in some spots, but still decent. Plus the ride in the 3 is way better, and much more quieter compared to the Civic. The 3 had less road noise, and felt more solid when driving. the 3 has great power and low end torque, while the Civic just strained and lacked any kind of performance. I actually like the Mazda 3's exterior design, if you see one in all silver, with chrome wheels, and the removal of the Mazda 3 emblem of the rear, they almost look Lexus like. I'm only speaking of the sedan, not the 5 door hatchbacks. I personally think they are the best compact car you can buy in it's class, especially for the price, no other car gives you more for your money, in terms of available options like Bose sound system with moonroof package, this cars doesn't feel like you bought an eco box, it feels like you purchased something that cost thousands more.

I haven't checked out the Cruze, but it looks pretty bland and boring, and starting cost, is $18,000, while the Mazda starts around $15,000 and for the Bose Package/enhanced interior lighting which is really really cool is priced around $22,000-23,000 for everything which isn't too bad considering what you are getting.

ryannel2003
12-21-10, 01:11 PM
I have been really impressed with Hyundai ever since the '06 Sonata came out to be honest. I've always told my friends that Hyundai is now the car brand to be looking out for. Soon enough, they'll pass Toyota and it will all be said and done. This Elantra really looks competitive and I think it's going to to great in the marketplace. I like the new Sonata, but I like the Optima better.

As for the Civic, it's still a damn good car for a design that is nearing 6 years old. You can't really pick on it because it hasn't been updated and it's still selling better than every small car on the market. I test drove one a few months back and loved it.

ga_etc
12-22-10, 05:33 AM
I'm not picking on the Civic because I think it's a bad car. They're perfectly fine little cars if you like them. They're typical Honda reliable and fine for local running or short out of town trips. I have just been turned off by them 1) since I got stuffed into the back seat of a friend's Coupe and hit my head on the roof multiple times going over bumps in town, and 2) after being stuck in a sedan from Dalton to Panama City Beach, FL and back with 4 full size guys in it. I ended up driving back on the FL trip and I will give the car credit where it's due. The little focker handles like a go-kart, plus it was still getting 30mpg on the interstate with all of us in it.

Lord Cadillac
12-22-10, 10:42 AM
I've NEVER liked that arrangement on the Civic for one very obvious reason. Your speed is perched up there on the top of the dashboard for EVERY passer-by to see. If that passer-by just happens to be a cop pacing you or who wouldn't have otherwise been shooting radar, there isn't anything better he could ask for than your own big bright digital speedo right there in plain sight.

I would never buy a Civic for that reason alone. Obviously people can tell how fast you're going if they want to think about it. With the speed practically lit up on your rear window (I'm exaggerating), nobody even has to think about it.

Otherwise.. I like the new Elantra. It's a nice small car. I like the Cruze as well.. I think the Cruze is intended for an older audience.. It looks like a more mature car.. They're both nice and will surely sell well.

As far as I'm concerned, Toyota is finished for awhile. They rested on their laurels like GM did, started cutting corners - and then the lawsuit disaster came in and finished them off. They now have to play catch-up to everybody else - with no money. It's amazing how people still buy Corollas...

Oh and as for the Kia Forte (http://www.kiaforteforum.com), that was the turn-around for Kia...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-10, 05:46 PM
I like how the interior in the Civic looks, but what I don't get is why they went with a digital speedometer, especially such a large one. Digital dashboards stopped being cool in about 1996, so why they would introduce that in 2006 is beyond me. What's even weirder is that the tachometer is analog, so it really counter acts the digital speedometer and looks stupid together.