: New CTS-V Owner

Sigfod
12-18-10, 07:18 PM
Last week I took ownership of a 2 owner 2006 CTS-V. I have been pouring over the fourms and have the basics down. Still looking for some clarification. Most of the information I have found is older info and seems to be out of date.
This car is my daily driver(already have a track car), and I am trying to keep it comfortable. This is my first V8 and first American car so I am very new to the Domestic V8 world.

1. What is the best solution to the wheel hop issue?
2. What is the best option for an ECU tune?
3. What is the best option for a clutch?
4. Are there any meets coming up in the near future for the Washington DC area?
5. What are the general recommendations for the V?
6. Is there a factory wood kit available?

repenttokyo
12-18-10, 07:22 PM
welcome!

best recommendation: get a short shifter from PISNUOFF - dramatically improves shift feel and accuracy, and affordable.

Sigfod
12-18-10, 08:33 PM
welcome!

best recommendation: get a short shifter from PISNUOFF - dramatically improves shift feel and accuracy, and affordable.

Thanks for the reply.

kevm14
12-18-10, 09:44 PM
What's wrong with the clutch? If it doesn't chatter and grabs 2nd hard enough to wheel hop, there IS no clutch problem.

Stepside
12-18-10, 09:44 PM
1. Don't do clutch dumps; if not Gforce1320 axles
2. Don't worry about a tune unless you mod the engine.
3. LS9 clutch
4. Don't know; maybe in Maryland
5. Subjective answers to this question are dependent on your intensions.
6. YES . . . where . . ebay and your local detail/customize shop.
And since you are in VA. See Lindsay Cadillac

Sigfod
12-18-10, 11:31 PM
1. Don't do clutch dumps; if not Gforce1320 axles
2. Don't worry about a tune unless you mod the engine.
3. LS9 clutch
4. Don't know; maybe in Maryland
5. Subjective answers to this question are dependent on your intensions.
6. YES . . . where . . ebay and your local detail/customize shop.
And since you are in VA. See Lindsay Cadillac
Thanks for the reply. I am planning to start upgrading this car in the near future. Need to finish the basics on the track car then start on the DD.
I plan the following mods thus far in this order
1. Corsa Exhaust
2. Kooks Headers (Jet Hot Extreme Coating) / Catted X-Pipe
3. KW V3 Exhaust
4. Addco or Hotchkis Swaybars
5. Short Shifter (Don't know whose yet)
6. Trailing Arms / Toe Rods
7. L92 Head / Manifold kit
After that I am lost...

Houdini
12-18-10, 11:37 PM
1. gforce axles
2. w4m performance for mail order tune and spare pcm or get a dyno tune when you start doing real mods
3. If you need a new clutch or you just hate the dual mass clunky flywheel/clutch and want a good daily driver, get an ls7 setup from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and order a remote bleeder.
5. Get Brian's (PISNUOFF) shifter
6. Rethink your idea about a wood kit LOL:cookoo:

Sigfod
12-19-10, 12:26 AM
1. gforce axles
2. w4m performance for mail order tune and spare pcm or get a dyno tune when you start doing real mods
3. If you need a new clutch or you just hate the dual mass clunky flywheel/clutch and want a good daily driver, get an ls7 setup from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and order a remote bleeder.
6. Rethink your idea about a wood kit LOL:cookoo:
I hated the dual mass flywheel that came on my Sentra, and what a world of difference it made to change that out. I can only imagine the difference it would make on the the V.

For the wood kit I find the interior of the V boring, but I like the look of the factory wood kit Cadillac put in the CTS. Not too much just enough to make it interesting and break things up. I agree that most of the aftermarket "Stick-On" kits are garbage I would want something higher quality. I am even open to carbon fiber, or brushed aluminum.

rand49er
12-19-10, 10:52 PM
1. gforce axles
6. Rethink your idea about a wood kit LOL:cookoo:Houdini's like a magician ... he read my mind.

jcollege
12-20-10, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the V ownership, I am in Bristow/Manassas area would defintiely like to meet up with some fellow V owners.

Aurora40
12-20-10, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the club, glad there's another V in the area. I'm out in Leesburg. Since you mentioned keeping it comfortable, you might try the free muffler gut before spending money on an aftermarket exhaust (as there is no power gain to be had). It's quiet enough that it could have been the way the factory did it, but you do hear some engine under throttle (unlike stock).

Sigfod
01-02-11, 11:06 PM
Anyone local have any links to local meetups, or do we have to create our own?

MikeV
01-04-11, 08:49 PM
Try a muffler delete with 4" tips before blowing money on a whole aftermarket system. Factory is a very good 2.5" stainless system with integral x-pipe (inside center resonator). You're looking at $140 or so for a shop to fab it up complete with tips and sounds awesome.

Sigfod
01-04-11, 09:20 PM
Try a muffler delete with 4" tips before blowing money on a whole aftermarket system. Factory is a very good 2.5" stainless system with integral x-pipe (inside center resonator). You're looking at $140 or so for a shop to fab it up complete with tips and sounds awesome.

Any good videos of this done? This car is my DD, and i don't want it to drone (been there and done that) and I don't want it to be too loud (been there done that). This is my first V8 and my American car so I am lost as to an upgrade path.

MikeV
01-04-11, 09:48 PM
Yea, go to youtube and search CTS-V muffler delete. A guy on here posted some vids. One in his garage and one cruising around stock vs. muffler delete. Lots of threads on here too. It drones a bit around 1800 rpm but you can easily drive around it by selecting a different gear (i.e. use 5th until you can get 6th above 1800rpm).

Volume is about perfect. I can sneak out of the subdivision at 5AM without waking everyone up.

Sigfod
01-05-11, 12:29 AM
Yea, go to youtube and search CTS-V muffler delete. A guy on here posted some vids. One in his garage and one cruising around stock vs. muffler delete. Lots of threads on here too. It drones a bit around 1800 rpm but you can easily drive around it by selecting a different gear (i.e. use 5th until you can get 6th above 1800rpm).

Volume is about perfect. I can sneak out of the subdivision at 5AM without waking everyone up.
After taking your advice I know a few more things.
1. There are a lot of morons street racing on busy streets out there.
2. Never drive in Russia.
3. I am now more confused about which exhaust than when I first started.

I really need to hear these cars in person to get a real idea about sound levels and tone.

repenttokyo
01-05-11, 12:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-BL891mGHY - this is exactly what I installed on my car, after hearing this video. Mufflers are $100 each, sound great, no drone, quiet enough at idle but loud enough to get compliments from total strangers about the tone of the car's exhaust.

Aurora40
01-06-11, 08:46 AM
I really need to hear these cars in person to get a real idea about sound levels and tone.

I have the stock system with the mufflers gutted. You are welcome to hear it any time.

I previously had the Magnaflow cat-back, but it had too much drone for me. It isn't loud drone, but it was definitely present. My V is my DD also, and I don't want it spoiled.

Jekyll
01-15-11, 09:40 AM
New owner here as well...in Manassas. Picked up an 06 Platinum V back in October. We shoould do a meet and cruise this Spring.

DMM
01-15-11, 02:16 PM
Welcome! I would be in for a spring meet since I will be home in April...if you wouldn't mind a MD guy tagging along (I missed the MD meet in Oct).

First, make sure that all the maintenance is caught up on (clutch cyl fluid, trans fluid, rear fluid)...you will be amazed at how much a V responds to simple maintenance.

For mods I would def. do the headers (I have 1 7/8" and am happy with them), motor mounts and shifter first. Your looking at 25+ whp and you will be replacing the parts that really take away from being able to enjoy your V. Also, these are more easily done all at once.

Getting anti-hop axles is also up on the list (depends on how you drive), you can spend a lot of money here but most seem happy with the econo-axle. Getting rid of the dual mass turd and replacing the clutch and FW with an LS7 model is an excellent budget item that holds good power and is DD friendly.

I had Magnaflow exhaust before and after the headers. It sounded bad a$$ at first, but got on my nerves after a while and I went back to stock exhaust with at tuning pipes. I have both and they can be switched out in about 15 mins. if I feel like waking the neighbors and giving myself a headache.

About the wood...ehh...really?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sigfod
01-17-11, 07:18 AM
Welcome! I would be in for a spring meet since I will be home in April...if you wouldn't mind a MD guy tagging along (I missed the MD meet in Oct).

First, make sure that all the maintenance is caught up on (clutch cyl fluid, trans fluid, rear fluid)...you will be amazed at how much a V responds to simple maintenance.

For mods I would def. do the headers (I have 1 7/8" and am happy with them), motor mounts and shifter first. Your looking at 25+ whp and you will be replacing the parts that really take away from being able to enjoy your V. Also, these are more easily done all at once.

Getting anti-hop axles is also up on the list (depends on how you drive), you can spend a lot of money here but most seem happy with the econo-axle. Getting rid of the dual mass turd and replacing the clutch and FW with an LS7 model is an excellent budget item that holds good power and is DD friendly.

I had Magnaflow exhaust before and after the headers. It sounded bad a$$ at first, but got on my nerves after a while and I went back to stock exhaust with at tuning pipes. I have both and they can be switched out in about 15 mins. if I feel like waking the neighbors and giving myself a headache.

About the wood...ehh...really?

Good luck and keep us posted!

It would be nice to get together with other V-enthusiasts this spring. Is there somewhere we should post to put that together?

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured that is exactly how I would feel about an exhaust. I am doing a fluid swap this weekend. Out goes the factory, in goes the Redline. :thumbsup:
I am torn about the wood as well. I have not seen anything real and of high quality yet.