: Remote Start -Engine Turn On- Distance

Willo
12-18-10, 05:24 PM
With colder weather here and the utilization of the feature which enables us to turn our cars on, getting things warmed up with the seats and heater, using the key fob remotely, over the last several months, there have been various posts relating to a shortened distance to turn the engine on compared to other GM cars we own which have this feature.

In the 2010 SRX catalog in the dealer's showroom and on-line, it speaks of being "almost 190 feet away" from the car to enable this function. Additionally, I don't have the ability to use the iPhone feature since that is meant for 2011's.

I have a 2010 Luxury and find that 50 feet away is about all I get, even if using the "trick" of holding the fob under the chin and pressing the button (supposedly this uses your body as a conductor to the rf output of the fob to add distance).

While at the dealer, had it checked out recently and they said, "it's operating perfectly normal." Telling them the range is much less than advertised, drew a blank stare. The reply, "maybe it was where you tried it." Great response.

Simply stated, I don't think I am alone in this regard.

Car dealer service departments do not have trained rf (radio frequency) mechanics that can easily deal with an issue like this, so their response is to say, "yeah, it's normal."

I don't think it is.

Any Cadillac techs on this forum that could contribute a bit of advice we can take to our dealers would be appreciated.

carbdude
12-18-10, 06:02 PM
With colder weather here and the utilization of the feature which enables us to turn our cars on, getting things warmed up with the seats and heater, using the key fob remotely, over the last several months, there have been various posts relating to a shortened distance to turn the engine on compared to other GM cars we own which have this feature.

In the 2010 SRX catalog in the dealer's showroom and on-line, it speaks of being "almost 190 feet away" from the car to enable this function. Additionally, I don't have the ability to use the iPhone feature since that is meant for 2011's.

I have a 2010 Luxury and find that 50 feet away is about all I get, even if using the "trick" of holding the fob under the chin and pressing the button (supposedly this uses your body as a conductor to the rf output of the fob to add distance).

While at the dealer, had it checked out recently and they said, "it's operating perfectly normal." Telling them the range is much less than advertised, drew a blank stare. The reply, "maybe it was where you tried it." Great response.

Simply stated, I don't think I am alone in this regard.

Car dealer service departments do not have trained rf (radio frequency) mechanics that can easily deal with an issue like this, so their response is to say, "yeah, it's normal."

I don't think it is.

Any Cadillac techs on this forum that could contribute a bit of advice we can take to our dealers would be appreciated.

You are not alone!

Again, our experience has also proven this function is very hit or miss and does not perform correctly.

Just today we we're out doing some last minute Christmas shopping, and this key fob start function refused to work... and we were only 1 1/2 blocks away and in complete line of sight.

The headlamps flashed every time I tried to start the engine, but it just wouldn't start.:ill:

Dude

sube5186
12-18-10, 06:06 PM
"The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter functions will work up to 60m (195 feet) away from the vehicle."

This should include ALL functions of the remote, not just remote start. Keep in mind the words "up to". 195 ft. is the maximum range under ideal conditions, this would also mean line of sight. Any obstructions would limit this range. I've successfully used the remote start while inside a building from at least the maximum distance. Remember, the keyless remote is just another type of remote control. Have you even tried using a TV remote, only to notice you have to press a button several times to get it to work? Then, you discover the batteries need replacing. I would suggest you replace the batteries and see if this improves the range. I know your remote was new when you got it, but you never know how long those batteries sat before you got it.

Sube

Auntie Evil
01-11-11, 09:52 PM
I tried to used my remote start recently while on a bus and could see the car 100 feet away and it wouldn't work.
When I got off the bus it worked but it should have worked from inside a bus with a clear view to the vehicle.