: 2008 STS Block Heater

ddalder
12-18-10, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a block heater and cord from my dealership and hope to install it this weekend. I read through the Owner's Manual (I have the 4.6L engine) and know roughly where the cord would normally be found (near/over the left strut).

I'm wondering if anyone has photos or routing for the cord and might be able to assist with posting them? I'm one of these hardcore "must do-it like GM did" guys so I'm trying to get exact routing/attachment points.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

EChas3
12-18-10, 07:32 PM
Koz?

ddalder
12-18-10, 07:54 PM
"Koz" that's the way I prefer to do things.

EChas3
12-18-10, 08:02 PM
"Koz" that's the way I prefer to do things.

He's the only member I recall mentioning that he has the optional OEM block heater. Sorry for the confusion.

dkozloski
12-18-10, 08:16 PM
I've just been messing around the block heater in my ride. There is an automatic thermostat built into the plug on the cord and it had failed. I cut the cord and spliced on a new plug with no thermostat. The plug end of the cord is located right by the shock absorber plug. The block heater plugs into a recess in the rear of the block right below the LH cylinder head. The cord comes up the rear of the engine and follows the fuel line right along the injectors. Just past the shock tower it heads for the LH fender and swings around to the rear and the shock plug. There are drawings in the FSM.

ddalder
12-18-10, 09:20 PM
He's the only member I recall mentioning that he has the optional OEM block heater. Sorry for the confusion.

LOL, Sorry, I thought you were asking me why I'm so (as my friends say) "anal-retentive". Didn't know "Koz" is a member.

ddalder
12-18-10, 09:22 PM
I've just been messing around the block heater in my ride. There is an automatic thermostat built into the plug on the cord and it had failed. I cut the cord and spliced on a new plug with no thermostat. The plug end of the cord is located right by the shock absorber plug. The block heater plugs into a recess in the rear of the block right below the LH cylinder head. The cord comes up the rear of the engine and follows the fuel line right along the injectors. Just past the shock tower it heads for the LH fender and swings around to the rear and the shock plug. There are drawings in the FSM.

Thanks! This describes what I'm looking for. I'll go back and have another look at the FSM. I must have missed the illustration you mention here.

dkozloski
12-18-10, 10:21 PM
In my FSM('06 STS) it's on page 6-1876 and it's titled "Coolant Heater Cord Replacement".

ddalder
12-19-10, 03:31 AM
In my FSM('06 STS) it's on page 6-1876 and it's titled "Coolant Heater Cord Replacement".

Found it, Thanks!

Padawan
09-12-12, 03:48 PM
Please advise part number of the cable if available between the (triangle) outlet under the hood and mains power.
Thanks in advance

ddgm
09-12-12, 05:41 PM
KO5 is the code for Engine Block Heater, at least that's what mine says.

Doug

dkozloski
09-12-12, 06:48 PM
Please advise part number of the cable if available between the (triangle) outlet under the hood and mains power.
Thanks in advanceI went to the hardware store, bought a cold weather cord, shortened it up, and put a new socket on it. It's only a couple of feet long and I led the end out above the grill where I could shut the hood on it to hold it in place.

Some people run them out below the bumper but then you find yourself crawling around in the snow in the dark at -50F trying to get it plugged in.

Padawan
09-13-12, 05:13 AM
Thanks for your input.
My heater is KA3. (AC 220V)
I am in Russia. And I am ashamed to say I saw such a plug (3 round pins, triangle, ending heater cord PN 15850710) for the first time - it is not used here in any field/industry. It looks like notebook power cord plug type C5.
Could you please advise plug/connection type?

PontiacV8
09-13-12, 05:30 AM
...this is the part in the engine bay...:

RPO: KA3, 220V export block heater, connector from my 06 export STS... (I don't know if the "KA5" is the same "style")

http://i47.tinypic.com/ng3nua.jpg

...a "Calix" connector/plug could work...used one some Saabs and other cars with block heater in Sweden and other nordic european countries...IIRC, I saw a pic from a swedish jag x-type in the internet, it has got the same connector like the export sts (it's a "Temro"-part...)

...there is a GM-part-# for this Saab-part...GM #12778599 or 12791716
http://i49.tinypic.com/35c368n.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2cih83m.jpg

Padawan
09-13-12, 07:51 AM
yeh! looks very similiar. Thanks!
I am adding a photo of a plug belonging to a Ford to show the shape of the plug.